• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Nwhomesteader, I think that most of the guys here that use 4" PVC piping are running the lower hp collector fans like the harbor freight and delta 110/220 volt units. This 4" PVC is usually the sch 10 thin wall drain pipe not the sch 40 rated for water pressure. Fittings for this 4" pipe is readily available at woodcraft, Rockler and highland fairly cheap. This size machine is on the borderline of needing 6" pipe and from what I've experienced this past year playing with mine full time is the 4" is probably the right size, regardless what the charts say. You can pull a lot of air through a 4" pipe. With a dust collector in the wood shop like mine that is subjected to fine dust, as soon as the filter starts loading up your efficiency goes away, rating your machine back down to where 4" pipe is the best size.
    capncarl
    Last edited by capncarl; 02-15-2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I would consider a 6 inch metal trunk like with 4 inch branches or something like that. But bigger line takes up a little more space too. Metal duct is sold flat, at least that's what I've seen, and rolling it up into a pipe is a bit of a chore. It's really good at nicking you too. But if it saved money I would do it. But my free time is usually when the home center is open and the places that sell to contractors are closed.

I know the OP wanted help on placement and you guys gave it to him. I will add, however, that if you have not upgraded from the stock 5 micron bags you need to do that ASAP. Otherwise you will breath a lot of fine dust.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by JimD
        ...I will add, however, that if you have not upgraded from the stock 5 micron bags you need to do that ASAP. Otherwise you will breath a lot of fine dust.
        I've had the Wynn filter from day 1 of using the HF DC. When I reconfigured the DC with the Oneida Super Dust Deputy, I slipped the filter bag over the Wynn filter. I figured it couldn't hurt.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Atgcpaul, how much fine dust does your Oneida Super Dust Deputy pull out before it gets to the Wynn Filter. When you empty the catch bin is it real dusty or just sawdust? I'm trying to talk myself into removing the thyne separator and installing a SDD.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
            Atgcpaul, how much fine dust does your Oneida Super Dust Deputy pull out before it gets to the Wynn Filter. When you empty the catch bin is it real dusty or just sawdust? I'm trying to talk myself into removing the thyne separator and installing a SDD.
            I know from the various mods on YouTube like mine, the SDD can virtually eliminate the amount of dust getting to the filter. That has not been the case for me. I'm still getting a bunch of dust going straight through the SDD to the filter and catch bag. I'm pretty sure it's because of a sloppy seal between the metal trash can and the board under the SDD.

Last weekend I sealed all the seams in the can with silicone. I don't have a gasket between the can and that board. I routed a groove in the board that matches the can's opening and put caulk in it. However, the caulk is rock hard so there's no give.

Most cyclone systems have a can that gets clamped tightly to the lid attached to the cyclone. I'm going to continue to try to improve my can's seal, but I'm also looking locally for a plastic drum with a locking lid. The shipping is killer.

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
              I know from the various mods on YouTube like mine, the SDD can virtually eliminate the amount of dust getting to the filter. That has not been the case for me. I'm still getting a bunch of dust going straight through the SDD to the filter and catch bag. I'm pretty sure it's because of a sloppy seal between the metal trash can and the board under the SDD.

Last weekend I sealed all the seams in the can with silicone. I don't have a gasket between the can and that board. I routed a groove in the board that matches the can's opening and put caulk in it. However, the caulk is rock hard so there's no give.

Most cyclone systems have a can that gets clamped tightly to the lid attached to the cyclone. I'm going to continue to try to improve my can's seal, but I'm also looking locally for a plastic drum with a locking lid. The shipping is killer.
              I have my SDD attached to the plastic drum below. It does have a locking clamp but I had not used it but mainly let the suction keep it in place (and some wedges underneath). As my DC setup is now outside the shop I had not really been monitoring the dust that gets into the filter. All I can say is that there has been virtually no debris in the collection back (except for when I forgot to empty the drum - oops). I guess I should check and try it with the clamp on. This drum is only $37 on amazon which is not too bad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	412iEtXaGgL._SX466_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	787607

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Thanks for that link, Jon. Prices seem to have come down or I was looking in the wrong section of Amazon.

It's good to know the lid is sufficient without the lock ring. We use the larger barrels at work for disposing of our chemical waste and the rings are a workout to get on and off.
                Last edited by atgcpaul; 02-16-2016, 07:34 AM.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

My $.02 on venting the dust collector outside. Not to repeat that you are pumping conditioned air outside, if the SDD is getting all the dust then why use the expensive Wynn filter outside? To catch any boo-boo's from not changing the catch drum in time just put the old .5 micron bag back on, then you can use the Wynn for a real good dust filter inside the shop to catch the dust particles that are still airborne. The .5 micron bag will have a lot less back pressure that the Wynn filter so your collector efficiency should go up even more!
                  capncarl

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Based on the comments about dust still getting through to the filter if there is not a good seal I may experiment with the clamp back on. My biggest issue is knowing when to empty it. As its outside I also have the "out of sight out of mind issue." I was wondering how I could add a clear window somewhere without affecting the integrity of the drum.
                    Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

I have been operating mine outside the shop for nearly a year now. Even in the Arizona summers I have not noticed any issue of sucking out all my cool air. My main issue with the AC in my shop is that the unit is 20+ years old and could really do with a serious upgrade :-) better than none at all though.

I still have the 1 micron bag fitted although in its new external closet it can not fully 'inflate.' I am sure it is impeding airflow but just cant be sure. On my log list of shop projects is an experiment to see how the pressure changes if I remove the bag and vent completely to the outside. You can be sure I will post my findings here when I get around to doing it.

Originally posted by capncarl
                      My $.02 on venting the dust collector outside. Not to repeat that you are pumping conditioned air outside, if the SDD is getting all the dust then why use the expensive Wynn filter outside? To catch any boo-boo's from not changing the catch drum in time just put the old .5 micron bag back on, then you can use the Wynn for a real good dust filter inside the shop to catch the dust particles that are still airborne. The .5 micron bag will have a lot less back pressure that the Wynn filter so your collector efficiency should go up even more!
                      capncarl
                      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by nwhomesteader
                        I'm curious what makes everyone go with pvc over metal ducting. A 10' stick of 6" pvc is like $45. I went to an HVAC supply place and got all the stuff I needed to run ducting in my 24x48 shop for like $300. Pvc would have been way more $ and heavier.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                        I haven't gone 6" yet either. I need to step up to a "big boy DC" instead of my 2HP Harbor Freight DC before I can pull enough to make 6" work... FWIW, S&D thinwall stuff is typically cheaper than metal unless you have a REALLY good source.. We'd love to know of good sources!
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I was jointing/planing a bunch of red oak today and I watched the clear plastic bag under my filter (after the SDD) slowly fill up to capacity. I hadn't made it a priority to seal up the trash can underneath the SDD except to put some wedges underneath the can to push it tight against the gasket. I wasn't sure if it was working or not. Well, after filling up 3 trash bags with shavings, I continued to plane the boards and I'm happy to report that that was enough. Before the wedges there was always a trickle of shavings coming into the bag, but after the wedges, the shavings don't appear to be getting past the SDD.

DC at my TS using the overhead piping still seems to be ineffective so I'm going to abandon that and go back to connecting the flex pipe to the TS.

Comment

Working...