• Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Expired glue

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151222_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	800996
    Guess i haven't been doing enough woodworking. I bought this large bottle (32 oz) of Titebond III and I used some as you can see but I've been using other bottles for small projects.

Looks all dark brown and is like Rubber. Not rock solid but won't flow. Franklin Int'l says one to two years storage life... I guess it must be older than that, stored inside even. No date on it.
    Tag says I paid $12 for it. Oh, well.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-22-2015, 06:50 PM. Reason: only paid $12.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LCHIEN
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]22377[/ATTACH]
    Guess i haven't been doing enough woodworking. I bought this large bottle (32 oz) of Titebond III and I used some as you can see but I've been using other bottles for small projects.

Looks all dark brown and is like Rubber. Not rock solid but won't flow. Franklin Int'l says one to two years storage life... I guess it must be older than that, stored inside even. No date on it.
    Tag says I paid $13 for it. Oh, well.
    I feel your pain. I bought 2 bottles of TB3 I don't know how long ago for some pie in the sky outdoor projects that never came to be. I was able to use up one but have been struggling with the second one. It's definitely not as bad as yours but it's hard to squeeze from the bottle and sometimes reminds me of cottage cheese.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

My Titebond tends to get that way too. I started buying in smaller bottles...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Franklin Int'l says one to two years storage life... I guess it must be older than that, stored inside even.
        FWIW, Franklin guy says that is the guarantee period - and the glue will work well beyond that if stored properly. His suggestion was 7 years max, and if it is discolored or rubbery don't use it, but if it looks "normal" and seems to be the right consistency without clumps, it should be fine to use.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...