I need a way to store roll type sanding disks.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I need a way to store roll type sanding disks.

I have been accumulating linkroll PSA type sanding discs in various grits for auto body, as well as woodworking tasks. I have rolls of discs in 80, 180, 220, 320, 400, and 600 grit. I need a better way to store them than I am currently using. (ziplock bags with the grit name sharpied onto them, and then stuffed on a shelf).

Has anyone here ever had to deal with linkroll type of sanding disc storage? They aren't flat. Not sure how to approach this. I am thinking maybe some sort of modular system based off of PVC pipe, but wanted to see what else folks have done...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

not sure I've seen those. what is it, a 6" wide roll with a bunch of disks stuck to the base paper? Picture?

is this it?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	roll of sanding disks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	787255
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-09-2015, 06:32 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

I have a dummy wall in my workshop (grandparent had pegboard, but poor location when I redid). I drilled some holes in it and used some old broken broom sticks, to run rolls (wire in my case for a soldering station), on it. That would be one option, or you might also price some shipping tubes, as you could cut one up for different bits.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Looks like WW project to me. Put a couple of 1x4 on the facing sides of studs in your unfinished garage walls.
        route some 3/4" diagonal slots so that a 3/4" dowel can span the 2 1x4's withthe ends in the slots for support.
        The slots should be angled up about 30 degrees from the center of the 4" width going to the outside so you can slide a dowel in and out with a fresh roll on it.
        The angle will keep the dowel from falling out. Each dowel will carry one or two rolls (the latter side by side).
        Place the slots wide enough to allow full rolls space and have enough slots to accommodate all your sizes of rolls.

Use a labeler on the exposed edge of the 1x4 to indicate the grits if desired.
        Bonus: Add an extra dowel for a roll of paper towels to get that stupid roll out of the way.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-10-2015, 08:23 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          not sure I've seen those. what is it, a 6" wide roll with a bunch of disks stuck to the base paper? Picture?

is this it?
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]21848[/ATTACH]
          Yeah, that's it. It is a pnuematic sander that I can use for wet sanding applications such as on clear coats and such. I found I like working with it a LOT more than my electric sanders. Even though dust collection is non existent.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
            I have a dummy wall in my workshop (grandparent had pegboard, but poor location when I redid). I drilled some holes in it and used some old broken broom sticks, to run rolls (wire in my case for a soldering station), on it. That would be one option, or you might also price some shipping tubes, as you could cut one up for different bits.
            Hmmm. I have a few of those plastic shipping tubes with the rubber end pieces from Rockler T track sets that are sucking up space in the attic...

Actually, a simple dowel / board rig would work. Hmmm.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              Looks like WW project to me. Put a couple of 1x4 on the facing sides of studs in your unfinished garage walls.
              route some 3/4" diagonal slots so that a 3/4" dowel can span the 2 1x4's withthe ends in the slots for support.
              The slots should be angled up about 30 degrees from the center of the 4" width going to the outside so you can slide a dowel in and out with a fresh roll on it.
              The angle will keep the dowel from falling out. Each dowel will carry one or two rolls (the latter side by side).
              Place the slots wide enough to allow full rolls space and have enough slots to accommodate all your sizes of rolls.

Use a labeler on the exposed edge of the 1x4 to indicate the grits if desired.
              Bonus: Add an extra dowel for a roll of paper towels to get that stupid roll out of the way.
              Only place you are off on that is my garage walls are finished. I guess you forgot my wiring / insulation / re-rocking project I did in what was it, 2012 I think?

I still need the north wall done, but south, east, west, and ceiling are done...

Comment

• d_meister
                Established Member
                • Feb 2009
                • La Conner, WA.
                • BT3000

Just be aware that unless covered or in a fairly dust-tight location, that dust sifts through the rolls and gets on the PSA. Could ruin a lot of product.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by d_meister
                  Just be aware that unless covered or in a fairly dust-tight location, that dust sifts through the rolls and gets on the PSA. Could ruin a lot of product.
                  Good point...

That has me back to thinking a PVC pipe storage solution of some sort. Maybe a wooden rack to hold a series of PVC pipe "capsules". One cap end fixed, the other removable, marked with the contained grit inside the container. Should keep the dust out, keep my grits organized, and keep me as sane as can be expected.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Dave, I actually knew your walls are semifinished sheetrocked.
                    I was thinking of me. But I don't have any rolls like that.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Biolite
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Nov 2014

Check out page 6 in the pdf link below. You may need to adjust dimensions to fit the rolls you have though.

Comment

Working...