• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Storing #6 and #7 hand planes...

Now before anyone fusses, I know you aren't supposed to store, or even set down a plane on the sole, or more specifically the blade. I am considering storing these planes in my clamshell cabinets, and using THICK felt (need to find some and buy it first!) arranged so that the blade would just hang out in the air while the rest of the sole rested on a nice comfy bed of heavy felt. Is this a good idea or am I being stupid? This would be an interim solution as my long term build is going to be a new workbench, with drawers for the hand tools... But mind you when I say long term, it will probably be 2+ years before I can clear up enough time after other projects to do this...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Makes sense to me

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I cut a dado across a piece of plywood then cut brackets For the toe of a #3 thru # 6 to set in that aligns the cutter over the dado. The #6 is the longest plane that will fit in the cabinet. My shop #7 and #8 sit on top of the cabinet on their sides. I have a design in mind for a wall mounted bracket for them but it is not something I am in a rush to build.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by dbhost
        Now before anyone fusses, I know you aren't supposed to store, or even set down a plane on the sole, or more specifically the blade.
        A complete myth. If a hand plane's own weight could somehow damage the blade, or knock it put of adjustment, how could the blade or frog possibly withstand the stresses involved in working down a slab of gnarly-grained oak or maple? This is the woodworking equivalent of an old wives' tale, perpetuated by people who just aren't thinking.
        Larry

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I figured that the pressure just wasn't good for the edge itself, not anything else...

It appears I need to make a couple more shelves for my clamshell cabinet to house these. I am just going to go with simply lining the shelf with heavy felt, no depressions at all. The felt should give a nice comfy home to the sole and the blade...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Dal300
            Banned
            • Aug 2011
            • East Central Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

My dad taught me to never set a plane down on the sole because there might possibly be something there that could nick the edge.
            I've followed his rule all my life and have noticed that sometimes there is a stray nail or screw or something that could have ruined a sharp edge.

One thing I always look at at flea markets and garage sales is how the seller sets the plane out.... seldom do I ever see them laying on their sides.

Comment

• mpc
              • Feb 2005
              • Cypress, CA, USA.
              • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I think storing a plane on its sole is no problem as long as the blade is either retracted into the plane body or there is some sort of relief for the blade in the storage area. My guess is the age-old rule about not setting a plane down on its sole applies while you are using it on a project - i.e. when you are putting the plane down anywhere BUT its proper storage slot for a minute or two.

Lee-Valley's traveling demo/show/try-it-yourself had pretty much one (or more) of everything in their catalog. The main display & travel carrier had many planes sitting on their soles. I noticed though the LV folks tended to put most planes on their sides after demoing them to customers - when putting the planes down on the debris-filled demo workbenches.

mpc
              Last edited by mpc; 12-29-2011, 12:23 AM.

Comment

• mnmphd
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2006

I would be concerned that the felt might hold moisture if you are in a humid climate. If you are set on using the felt pads, I would suggest oiling them with Jojoba or camellia oil.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

the projection of the cutting edge on a fine plane will only be about 5 mils or so. You basically want to protect it against nicks and such because it has a very fine edge exposed.

I would think it would be OK to store sole down in a drawer which you lines with a miniscule layer of foam or other padding - maybe a minimum of 1/8" or 125 mils. Maybe the foam that comes in rolls or even a layer of the small bubble wrap.

Sole down storage would be the most convenient as you would get the densest packing and the handles would be convenient to grab. OTOH storing them on their sides is probably a good habit when using them and laying them on the bench - keeping up that habit when storing won't hurt.

Storing them sole down on a fitted wood base with a groove for the blade and some fittings to ensure proper location would be great but the most work. But could be impressive when you label them and show off your collection!

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

The felt should be fine. I have had a #7 on the bottom shelf of my stud space cabinet for a while now. March will be two years with just a strip of felt under the nose. The felt was suggested by Sarge in this thread:http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=50094 There isn't any discoloration or difference in the steel that sits on the felt or slightly elevated over the wood. My number 8 is on it's side below, as the studs were 24" OC and it wouldn't fit in between them.

Erik

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

I always liked the look of storing them vertically when space is appropriate. Either on an angle, or completely vertical, both methods using REMs to hold them securely.

Marc (TWW) did a series of videos on his chest for them, 152-154 in the video section on his site.
                      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                        The felt should be fine. I have had a #7 on the bottom shelf of my stud space cabinet for a while now. March will be two years with just a strip of felt under the nose. The felt was suggested by Sarge in this thread:http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=50094 There isn't any discoloration or difference in the steel that sits on the felt or slightly elevated over the wood. My number 8 is on it's side below, as the studs were 24" OC and it wouldn't fit in between them.

Nice plane collection...

That is, of course in my clamshell cabinet, basically the idea I had. Except I was thinking of lining the shelves with heavy felt (1/8" ish...) to avoid any potential nicks. Yes, vertical storage looks cool, and it certainly would allow me to keep using my clamshell cabs for what I built them for, which the area that these would have to live presently house finshes and such...

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

FWIW I just laid down to firring strips on the shelf - one across the toes the other acrooss the heels. Seems to work OK.

The depth of the cabinet does not accommodate my No. 6, so I rigged up a two-piece thingy (one piece for the toe and the other for the heel) and screwed it to the side of a metal shelf next to my bench.

JR
                          JR

Comment

Working...