• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Need your ideas on shop setup and layouts

What has worked well for you? Throw out your ideas! I am trying to keep at least room for 1 vehicle in this two car garage....you can stop snickering now

Ideally I would like to be able to put both cars in when not working on projects, but with my intention of building a workbench that may not be possible. Here is an elevation of what I am trying to accomplish on one wall, this is the wall that in sketchup drawings has all the outlets on it.

I have a table saw, jointer and a future shaper pictured in the first 10' with the intention of pushing them under the coutertop which will have a 30" section of plywood with french cleats attached on its face for storage of tools commonly used, some pegboard to the right with open shelves/cubbyhole area above it and 10' of upper cabs. The next 2' I envision using open plywood shelves to store cms, scms, planer, future grinder, etc. This will work well with the fold down worktable I am currently working on... Air compressor stored on end when not in use, dc will need to be rotated to give me more wall space for storing other items. Not shown shopvac and a ton of misc. junk!

Last edited by chopnhack; 07-13-2011, 10:43 PM.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I haven't done it, but I have seen photos with tools stored under countertops. My DW735 planer in a flip-top cabinet rolls under my workbench.

My inital thought is that the counter is going to need some additional support in the middle or 1/3s. 10' is a long span to be unsupported.

You might consider doing a pegboard cabinet instead of just pegboard. I tripled my surface storage area doing some shallow pegboard door cabinets.
    Erik

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Here's a rough sketch of a thought. It incorporates a low area in the countertop so you can use the counter as a miter saw station too. When the saws aren't in there you can fill it with a removable part.
      Attached Files
      Erik

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

What are the dimensions of your space?

FWIW, I have given up on the garage as a garage. My truck is too big to fit, and my Saturn is, well a Saturn (plastic...) Unfortunately LOML has been eyeing an MKS as a replacement for the Saturn... I may end up having to have garage space for that!

A couple of things to note from my setup...

#1. My clamshell storage cabinets provided HUGE storage in a small amount of wall space. (Photo NOT of the current configuration)

#2. My tool stacker allows me to cram a bunch of tools in a small space. However it isn't real easy on the back, and I have back problems...

I would suggest some quality time spent with Sketchup. I find it is a great way to test fit ideas before moving a single tool...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks Erik, those are some interesting thoughts. The support of the countertop is something that has been bothering me so I have left it be until I can get real heights of the tools that will go under. (Depends on mobile bases, etc.) I figured that I may end up having to either use metal angle brackets or actually install a wooden column in between some of the tools that will be housed under the top.
          I originally wanted to include the scms on the worktop, but scrapped it for two reasons:
          1. the saw is way too deep
          2. dust collection, since the saw is too deep putting a plywood box behind it for dc would have this saw sticking out probably 2.5 feet!

I have been considering just storing it like DB mentioned on a tool stacker (see crude drawing between shaper and air compressor)and then bringing it out onto a foldable worktable with feed supports when needed. I use it often enough and part of what I am doing is trying to eliminate having to setup and breakdown equipment, but I have to make some sacrifices for space constraints. Keep the ideas coming though!!

DB, the shop is a 2 car garage, useable floor space is roughly 20 wide x19 deep of which I intend to share some of with a minivan - during projects I can have the shop completely to myself, but being the van is newer ~3 y.o. I would like to keep it out of the elements as much as possible.
          I think you already know how much I love your pegboard clamshell cabs, didnt you say you were getting tired of them and were shipping them here?? I am thinking that in place of some of the traditional overhead cabs, perhaps those might be interesting to place up there? Would it be too high?
          As Erik mentioned instead of that 2' section of just pegboard, a clamshell there could work even better. As far as sketchup, I dont know about quality time there, it took me about 2.5 hours to render all that, and I actually know how to use arrays and can somewhat tinker with the followme tool, but I am pretty sure that none of what I did works like some of the models I have seen. I feel that if I place things into the model they would be hard to move around...not sure if the whole model needs to be a component? or whatever so that things wont alter it, just lay over the model. Does that make any sense to you?

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by chopnhack
            Thanks Erik, those are some interesting thoughts. The support of the countertop is something that has been bothering me so I have left it be until I can get real heights of the tools that will go under. (Depends on mobile bases, etc.) I figured that I may end up having to either use metal angle brackets or actually install a wooden column in between some of the tools that will be housed under the top.
            Supports could be just as simple as a 2x4 bracket. An angled bracket will give you toe space over a column. The desks we made for our office are really just some 36" deep counters supported at the front with some 2x2 stainless tube posts. I really hate those middle supports.

My folks garage and mine have some deep shelves 24"+ supported on a 2x4 ledger and 2x4 brackets. The brackets are really just a 2x4 at a 45 and another horizontal one under the shelf. When I redid my moms shelves I added a 2x4 flat against the wall making a triangular bracket. It was a lot more secure and easier to fasten the flat 2x4 to the wall than using a few long screws through a 2x4 at an angle.

In your other shop thread your jointer in the background looks a lot like mine. I've got a cheesy 9" bandsaw stored under one wing and plans for a small chest to go under the other. With a 10x12 shop (and probably more stuff than what I saw in your garage ) one has to make every spare inch count.
            Erik

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Good point Erik, I was thinking about what you wrote and you are right about losing that space. Maybe a L shaped 2x4 under the counter with the other leg on the wall with a piece of plywood dadoed diagonally in between the L. That should present a pretty thin profile.

The jointer in the background is an ~80's Jet 6" jointer. Do you really have more junk in your garage? Help me with this one: where do I put a steel wheelbarrow when my ceiling is too low to hang it from (dont know that I would want to do that anyway) and my wall space is pretty much spoken for? (LOL, i am not sure there is an answer to this riddle

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

The jointer in the background is an ~80's Jet 6" jointer. Do you really have more junk in your garage? Help me with this one: where do I put a steel wheelbarrow when my ceiling is too low to hang it from (dont know that I would want to do that anyway) and my wall space is pretty much spoken for? (LOL, i am not sure there is an answer to this riddle
                My wheelbarrow has a cheap plastic tub, and it stays outside.

Your jointer sounds a lot better than mine. I piced up a ~70s-~80s chineese knockoff of an older rockwell. The entire bed is only 44". The best thing was that it was $50.

I'm sure my garage has way more junk than yours (I'm part pack rat). My shop (a 10x12 shed) would give you a really good run for accumulation of stuff, surely beating it if I include the 5x12 wood storage addition.
                Erik

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Wow, I gotta work on this cleaning and organizing thing! 10x12 you say... do you also do origami?

Comment

• gsmittle
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                    • BT 3100

Good point Erik, I was thinking about what you wrote and you are right about losing that space. Maybe a L shaped 2x4 under the counter with the other leg on the wall with a piece of plywood dadoed diagonally in between the L. That should present a pretty thin profile.
                    Just yesterday I saw a tip on Wood's site for just this situation: Use 1x4 for the horizontal support of the shelf, screwing one onto each side of the wall stud. Cut a 45° angle on both ends of a 2x4 and sandwich one end between the 1x4s and fasten the lower end to the stud. This should be pretty strong and gets the column out of the way.

g.
                    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                    Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...