• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Suddenly, my car is in my garage !

Late last evening, I managed to park LOML's Nissan Altima in the garage, and while a pain, it was an eye-opener.

LOML had discovered 2 weeks ago that her driver-side window was misbehaving, not closing easily when opened. I advised her to get it fixed pronto, or else she might be "stuck with an open window on a saturday evening when shops were closed for the weekend and rains threatened". I swear, those were the exact words I used, and boy did they come true!

She claims she did not get time; I remember offering to do it for her, but she does not "like to drive an SUV" (my car is an RAV4, barely passing the 'SUV' tag) ! Anyway, yesterday she finds out the window gave up completely. Knowing it could not be fixed before Monday, I tried patching it up with a sheet of plastic, but she started complaining that it was gonna rain heavy and my patch-up would not work and her car would be deluged and why couldn't I make place in the garage for just one car for just a day and I had always claimed my shop was 'mobile' and if I didn't she'd ask friends for temporary garage space and how lucky some of them were that their husbands loved fishing instead of woodworking and she should have instead married that idiot who might be onto a third wife by now but what a speck-less clean garage he keeps (ok, she didn't say that last but I imagined her thinking it )!

Before it became too late (it had started to drizzle), I decided to try and clear the garage. the biggest thing in the middle is my Unisaw, and foreseeing this day (we live in hurricane land) I have it on a mobile-base from Woodcraft. I made the kids take their bikes and stuff to the front porch, removed the extension tables and rolled away smaller tools and boxes. In my hurry I could not remember how the 52" fence rail went, so decided to leave it on and roll the TS to a side parallel to the wall. After all that, the saw would not budge whatever I did; left me searching for locks on the wheels or wedges under them, but none found. LOML was the one to observe that the rubber pads that kept wheels off the ground were stuck to the ground even after releasing. I guess years of use did that. Used a trusty flat screwdriver to rectify that, and that large saw moved so easily!

Well, longer story short, managed to get the car in before the drizzle became a downpour, and what a mighty downpour it was! Our yard was flooded pretty fast : I think my patch-up with plastic sheets might really not have worked.

My lessons learned : (a) this was a good exercise to find out how mobile my shop is - somewhat okay, but I now know what I should do better. (b) I should remove and reattach the fence rail often enough to remember how to do it fast (c) I should really remove the fence itself before I move the saw! I scratched the car's left rear-view mirror, but she didn't see and a slap of paint should fix it ! (d) I saved myself a whole lot of future grief from LOML by going thru this. A bit of backache is always worth that!
    Attached Files
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Yep...it sure did rain like a monsoon last night. Good thing too, because today (Sunday) is our watering day (was). Your fire drill was a good thing. As you said, we are in a hurricane belt, and having an order of things can make a difference.

It would be ideal if you could roll it up against the wall, without having to take off the rails.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Car inside a garage?

What a novel idea......
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

You guys in the SE part of the state down there

are getting some more heavy rain shortly by the looks of radar. Button up because it flooded some of us. Anyway good lesson on clearing the path for a car in the workshop!

Comment

• rcp612
          Established Member
          • May 2005
          • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
          • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by radhak
          how lucky some of them were that their husbands loved fishing instead of woodworking and she should have instead married that idiot who might be onto a third wife by now but what a speck-less clean garage he keeps
          In my bassin' days, the boat filled the biggest part of a 2 car garage. The length required angle parking, I had a repair bench for emergency rod,reel or lure repairs, tons of extra tackle and etc. But I was ready for a tournament at a minutes notice. As soon as I moved LOML's Gran Prix out of the drive.
          Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
            • Dec 2005
            • Russell, NY, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

My idea is: cars were made to withstand the elements but table saws were not!
            Of course the broken window makes it different; how bout a big tarp over the whole thing?
            Even at 20 below my trusty steed lives under the attached carport; but my table saw stays nice and cosy in the (used to be called the garage) shop!
            RuffSawn
            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• gsmittle
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
              • BT 3100

Originally posted by radhak
              LOML had discovered 2 weeks ago that her driver-side window was misbehaving, not closing easily when opened. I advised her to get it fixed pronto, or else she might be "stuck with an open window on a saturday evening when shops were closed for the weekend and rains threatened". I swear, those were the exact words I used, and boy did they come true!
              I had the same issue with our Altima. A $75 window switch from autopartswarehouse.com solved the problem. Easy to replace, too!

Sorry you had to move your shop, but it sure beats the "I can't believe you love your tools more than me" stare.

g.
              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
              Bill & Ted

Comment

• natausch
                Established Member
                • Aug 2009
                • Aurora, IL
                • BT3000 - 15A

Standard 2 car garage (20'x22') that fits both of our Toyota Corollas and...

Hybrid Table Saw - router table/50" rails
                14" Band Saw
                12" Lunchbox Planer
                6" Jointer
                15" Stand Alone Drill Press
                Workbench
                Dust Collector (Wall Mounted)
                Storage Cabinet with Mortiser, Belt Sander, Misc Storage
                Snow Blower
                12' Lumber Storage (Entire Wall)
                Hanging Cabinets with jigs, portable tools and other "stuff"

Only challenge is LOML/SWMBO wants a freezer chest as well. Going to have to develop some innovation on that one.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Russell, NY, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Re: my last post. I actually have a one car garage that since all my tools are on casters I CAN put them out of the way AND get the car in; but during the winter when I am on the midst of a project it turns out that I am too lazy to put all the stuff away and bring in the car. So, I use the excuse that "cars were meant to suffer but my tools were not"!
                  RuffSawn
                  Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

The main reason we built my current house was to get an extra garage for my tools. We always could get two cars in because the garage was 28 feet deep but LOML did not like walking in sawdust and it getting on her car all the time. I do not like cleaning up. Not everybody has the option of a separate shop but it saves some less than completely friendly discussions.

Jim

Comment

• radhak
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Miramar, FL
                      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Ah, that stare, and those discussions, never too far away!

Whenever we talk about moving or buying a different house (idle talk - we are not in a position to do either), I always say I want a 3-car garage, maybe with a house alongside . That way she can keep her car in, and I'd have my space undisturbed!

Okay, yesterday she gets her car repaired at Tires Plus, and of course they charge her exorbitantly : $300 for the window motor/labor, and another $140 for the window switch. Then they claim the belts for the A/C Compressor and Alternator needed replacing immediately to avert some catastrophe, for a mere $160.
                      I asked her to go ahead with all that - $600 seemed cheap considering what more they recommended :

They say there has been a 'major oil leak' because of which there was no oil left there; this would only be fixed with a new 'Timing Kit', which would cost $1300 installed !!! Obviously I am going to get a 2nd opinion, this time with a small time mech nearby who has much less time but far more integrity. A quick google tells me a timing kit sells for $175; dunno how that stands.

But anyway - the garage is now looking a mess, but I see an opportunity to really clean up and discard stuff that was hidden away but useless. I think there's far too many wood scraps that I may never need, that I can trash. The TS needs to be brought back to the middle and the extension tables need set up, but hopefully I can find inspiration to manage the dust-collector connections better this time : till now I have never been able to get the sucker to work without leaking dust. And of course, while doing all this, I want to be able to clear space for one car (if not two) in a very smooth, organized fashion, not like what I did Saturday !

Natusch, LDJ and others - I would love to see pics of your setup where the Tools and the Wheels live harmoniously, and maybe copy some elements! Please?
                      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                      - Aristotle

Comment

• jking
                        • May 2003
                        • Des Moines, IA.
                        • BT3100

Actually, those prices for the window motor & switch don't seem out of line. The last time I had to replace a window motor, I went with a used motor b/c the cost of a new motor was over $150.

Now, the oil leak becing caused by a timing issue is a new one on me. I'd like to hear how they explain that one.

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by natausch
                          Standard 2 car garage (20'x22') that fits both of our Toyota Corollas and...

Hybrid Table Saw - router table/50" rails
                          14" Band Saw
                          12" Lunchbox Planer
                          6" Jointer
                          15" Stand Alone Drill Press
                          Workbench
                          Dust Collector (Wall Mounted)
                          Storage Cabinet with Mortiser, Belt Sander, Misc Storage
                          Snow Blower
                          12' Lumber Storage (Entire Wall)
                          Hanging Cabinets with jigs, portable tools and other "stuff"

Only challenge is LOML/SWMBO wants a freezer chest as well. Going to have to develop some innovation on that one.
                          No pics?... didnt happen applies here I believe Would love to see your excellent sounding setup/use of space.
                          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...