X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hophop
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2009

Where to buy carrying roller/idler

I am planning a storage area of my lumbers. For lumber it would be a simple overhead rack, but for sheet goods I would just lean them against along the wall by the garage door. To make sorting through them easier, I am thinking of making a short conveyor for them to slide in and out. The rollers from HF are cheap but they look flimsy so I searched for more heavy-duty ones and found these. Does anyone know where I can buy similar items in small quantity?

Thi
  • os1kne
    • Jan 2003
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

I don't have any ideas with sourcing the item in question. However, I believe that I once saw someone post about constructing something similar using rollers fabricated from PVC. I don't recall the details. I'm sorry that this isn't more helpful.
    Bill

Comment

• hophop
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2009

Hi os1kne,

Thank you for your input. I thought of fabricating what I need using PVC but I am afraid they are not strong enough. You see, I plan to be able to store a maximum of 5 sheets, and they can weight up to a hundred lbs each depending on the type. One way to prevent the tubes from breaking is to fill them with MDF/ply circular disks but I'd like to see if I can buy them pre-made before I take this route.
      Last edited by hophop; 03-02-2011, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Try Grainger or McMaster-Carr
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• wardprobst
          • Jan 2006
          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
          • Craftsman 22811

I'd buy some 3/4" diameter galvanized pipe nipples the length that you need and caps. Take two pieces of 2x material, cut them to length, stack them on the drill press, bore holes for the pipe, screw two more pieces on the ends of your frame, insert pipe and screw on caps.
          DP
          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

sometimes it would be cheaper to buy a set of roller outfeed supports and disassemble it to get the rollers than to buy new ones from an industrial distributor. If you just need a few...
            and you'll end up with a free adjustable height mechanism...

also look at

10 used ones for $10 lot $34 shipping [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/PKG-10-CONVEYOR-ROLLERS-measure-1-7-8-x-11-1-2-/270701896645?
            6 for $10 with $12 shipping (3.50 each) http://cgi.ebay.com/6-ROLLERS-ROACH-CONVEYOR-SUPPORT-12-75-X1-90-/120690346580?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c19b4 8a54#ht_500wt_1132

google or ebay search terms: conveyor roller replacement
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-02-2011, 11:17 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• hophop
              Forum Newbie
              • Aug 2009

Thank you LCHIEN. The eBay links are just what I need.

Comment

• os1kne
                • Jan 2003
                • Atlanta, GA
                • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                sometimes it would be cheaper to buy a set of roller outfeed supports and disassemble it to get the rollers than to buy new ones from an industrial distributor. If you just need a few...
                and you'll end up with a free adjustable height mechanism...
                Great idea!
                Bill

Comment

• sailor55330
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2010

What about using rollers from a boat trailer? I would guess that they are available in many sizes and and surely would hold the weight.

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

Might just try waxing a piece of hardboard really well and just sliding the sheets.

My storage area on my shed is 5x12 with a rack down one side and sheet goods on the other. Quite often I'll slide sheet goods in and out fairly easily. The floor is just PT 3/4" ply. I quickly waxed the area under the plywood and the sheets moved a lot better.
                    Erik

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                      Might just try waxing a piece of hardboard really well and just sliding the sheets.
                      The post above gave me an idea - if you are going to be leaning the sheet goods against the wall near your garage door - a good solution may be to screw/adhere (not sure of your flooring type) some strips of UHMW plastic to the floor under your storage area and possibly a "runway" to the door. 1/2" thick UHMW would probably do a very good job of this. (If you're not familiar with UHMW plastic, think of the white plastic cutting boards that are fairly common at department stores.) This material is available in larger sheets and can be cut to size (use a carbde tipped blade). UHMW plastic has good lubricity and low-friction qualities. The nice thing about this is that it would be a lower profile than a framework and rollers.

Good luck with whatever route you choose!
                      Bill

Comment

• hophop
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Aug 2009

I have been outbidden on the conveyor rollers so I'd explore the use of UHMW or waxed hardboard. Also, I'll make the rack moveable so that I can swing it between the wall and the garage door. Thank you ALL for your ideas and advices.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by hophop
                          I have been outbidden on the conveyor rollers so I'd explore the use of UHMW or waxed hardboard. Also, I'll make the rack moveable so that I can swing it between the wall and the garage door. Thank you ALL for your ideas and advices.
                          How many do you need? they were selling a bunch of them. For winning auctions, I always say you need either patience or money.
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-06-2011, 11:02 PM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stytooner
                            Roll Tide RIP Lee
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                            • BT3100

It occurred to me that once a sheet is in a rack with rollers, the rollers become stationary and won't roll well to allow easy insertion of the second sheet. Also a solid floor might be better than one with spars, rollers or ribs. Less chance of dinging the edges that way. I used laminate flooring in the base of mine and that worked great. Slides well and doesn't grab the end of the sheet when you are 3/4 of the way in.
                            Lee

Comment

Working...