Continual dust collection improvements and recycling efforts.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Continual dust collection improvements and recycling efforts.

Well, the saga of the dust collection upgrades seems to be forever on going. Most recently, it has been attacking difficult to collect dust from machines, and to top it off, I am needing to do this on a shoestring budget. Simply put there isn't enough money left over after each payday to even think about buying new dust hoods and such... (You really don't want to get me going on the current economic junk... But let's just say I don't see it improving from where I stand).

Well as I had noted previously, I have finally been able to give my router table / extension wing a good workout, and it works well, but has some, uh, shortcomings, which will be addressed later on, but for now the one shortcoming I CAN address is the under the table dust collection.

I have had an old plastic cat litter tub, the kind that you buy 40lbs of cat litter in, sitting in the corner of my shop for a few years now... Empty of course... Well it is finally time to do something about this tub! This is a multi stage process mind you, but for now, I have cut my door opening, port opening, installed it to the bottom of the table, and fabricated a hinge for the "door" out of duct tape (not the permanent situation, but work with me here a bit...) I still need to silicone in a 4" S&D nipple to serve as a port, and then install the router / bit and test, test, test... IF the test is succesfull. I am going to remove the "door" and bulid a plywood frame around the door opening, and a plywood door for better durability, and less redneck like construction qualities... Yeah, I am sure Bubba would approve of this project!

With more finesse than the router table shroud, I have also built a floor sweep, 18" wide, 2.5" tall opening, and 6" deep out of scrap 1/2" plywood, and saved from the garbage S&D cutoff pipe. Joinery is rabbets and glue.

Along with those improvements, the sliding compound miter saw is proving to be, even with the Thien / shop vac connected to the dust port, a nightmare. It's too bulky to constantly drag outside, and dust collection is dreadful. I am NOT ready to build a full on miter saw station quite yet, and I am not sure exactly WHAT will work for this, so before I go cutting any plywood, even scraps, it's cardboard and duct tape to the prototype rescue!

Yep, you heard me right. I am prototyping various hood ideas using cardboard and duct tape. So far I have found 4 different ideas that fail on one account or another (2 simply don't catch enough dust, and 2 I kind of didn't compensate for the slide rails).

Once those are handled, I am wanting to upgrade dust collection hoods for the following machines...
    1. Ridgid Oscillating Sander
    2. lathe
    3. drill press
    4. hand held router
    5. hand held drill
    6. hand tools such as planes, hand saws etc...

I am thinking for most of those hand held tools a downdraft box is in order... Another project to do! I have ideas for the Ridgid Sander, and drill press. No clue what to do for the lathe...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • wardprobst
    • Jan 2006
    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
    • Craftsman 22811

I've had the same problem with our SCMS. My temporary solution has been to put it on a Rigid Miter Saw Utility Vehicle which is probably as close as I'll ever get to owning an SUV. I move it outside or to the doors to use and it folds up nice and tight.
    I've been looking for a big hood on a stand that Amazon used to sell but haven't found it yet. My plan was to use it for the SCMS and lathe. I think my DC can handle it but we'll see.
    Peachtree had a sale on an under table router box for dust collection and noise a few months ago. You might get some ideas for yours here-http://www.ptreeusa.com/routerTables.htm#3593
    It's at the bottom of the page.
    BTW, can you tell me how to do the links where the text just says here and it's a click-able link? I've given up trying to figure out so I'll just ask.
    DP
    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Poobah
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2010
      • SoCal
      • BT3100

Incra has a nice plan for a downdraft box on their website. I built it and have been using it for a couple months. The difference in dust collection is unbelievable. I used mostly scraps of 3/4 ply I had laying around.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Sure,

In the edit window, there are a series of format tools, typical stuff, bold, italics, underline, justify list, etc... There is one that looks like a globe with a couple of chain links in the lower right corner select the text you want to have the hyperlink attach to, and click that icon. A pop up box will appear asking you to enter the URL for your link. Enter it and hit done, or okay (varies by browser I believe) and that's it, unless you want to do it manually by simply typing it in, for that I will refer you to the BBCode tags reference via this LINK. (Sorry, I couldn't resist).
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• BizCoach
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2004
          • Milford, CT.

What I did with my miter saw is first I put it on a cabinet on wheels - my shop is too small to have a dedicated station. Then I built a stand alone tressel to act as a wing support on one side. This can move out of the way as needed or can be screwed into the side of the cabinet when I'm not going to move it for a while.

For dust collection I built a cube out of 1/4 ply with one face open. It's about 2ft on a side. The cube is mounted on legs (with wheels) so the height is right at the level where the slide of the saw slides back into the open face of the cube. The cube is deep enough and tall enough to contain the saw and capture most of the dust. I put a port on the bottom which attaches to my dust collector with a flex hose. When I need to swivel the saw to make a miter cut, the cube is on wheels so it swivels around too.

The other thing I did was partly close in the front (open) face of the cube as much as possible to create some draft and prevent the dust from bouncing back out.

This works mostly. This is not ideal because the base cabinet is square not round so the cube fits better and has better draft when I'm making a straight cut not a swivel. But it's better than nothing.
          www.CEOBootCamp.com
          Tools to help you run your business better

Comment

• wardprobst
            • Jan 2006
            • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by dbhost
            Sure,

In the edit window, there are a series of format tools, typical stuff, bold, italics, underline, justify list, etc... There is one that looks like a globe with a couple of chain links in the lower right corner select the text you want to have the hyperlink attach to, and click that icon. A pop up box will appear asking you to enter the URL for your link. Enter it and hit done, or okay (varies by browser I believe) and that's it, unless you want to do it manually by simply typing it in, for that I will refer you to the BBCode tags reference via this LINK. (Sorry, I couldn't resist).
            Thanks, should have figured that out before.
            DP
            Like this?
            www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by wardprobst
              Thanks, should have figured that out before.
              DP
              Like this?
              Yeah, that will do for sure!

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

There was a "miter saw station" I saw on another forum last year, where the guy took an old discarded propane BBQ pit frame, and converted it to be a mobile miter saw station, complete with fold down wings, and extension fence with T track for stop blocks. I have been looking for one of those, and missed one literally by 5 minutes last week. On my way to work last Thursday there was one in a neighbors trash at the front of the neighborhood, I went back home to get my truck to pick it up, but by the time I got there it was gone...

In the long run that is along the lines of what I want to rig up, a proper station that folds down to save space, and has some good wheels to move around easily into the driveway to handle longer stock than what fits in the shop...

Comment

• wardprobst
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Craftsman 22811

Hey DB,

There's a few ideas for you here. Ain't you glad you taught me how to do the "here" thing?
                  I know the barbecue pit thing also works.
                  I still like the MSUV because it stores in in less than 2 square foot print by about 60 inches tall and I got a honker of a 12" Makita SCMS sitting on it. I caught the old MSUV on closeout but there are other good stands out there. I was going with the HTC when the Borg dropped the price on the MSUV.
                  Good luck,
                  DP
                  www.wardprobst.com

Comment

Working...