• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Mounting overhead air cleaner howto?

Well, now that the G0572 is here, I will need to mount it up. The instructions from Grizzly show that it should be mounted in such as way as to encourage circular air flow in the shop (See page 9 of the G0572 manual if you don't know what I mean...). While this seems like a good idea, I am curious just how to manage doing that. I figure somewhere between the first and second row of shop lights, toward the corner-ish but at an angle would be best, but how do I get that angle? I am figuring I will need to mount up something like a 3/4" plywood mount board, and mount the filter using lag botls to the mount board to get this done. I would arrange eye hooks and cables, but my ceilings aren't super tall, but they aren't super short either, I just want to keep it efficient...

Does anyone have any clues for a more efficient way of doing this?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

If possible, you should hve the intake of the air filter over the major dust producers - table saw, sanding station, etc.

I mounted a couple of 2x4 cleats to the ceiling and installed eye hooks. It was a two-man job to get the thing up there, though.

JR
    JR

Comment

• schloff
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Southern Middle TN
      • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

I have exposed joists in my basement shop. It was a no brainer to use the eyebolts (came with my Jet). I believe I just drove some deck screws into the joists and hung it that way. The spacing worked out so I didn't have to worry about secondary mouting structure.

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

When thinking about the mounting position remember the exhaust is much stronger at moving air/dust than the intake.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

One man installation:

I mounted my air cleaner with hooks in the ceiling and eye-bolts on the cleaner.
          I got it as high as i could on a temp table and some boxes on top of the table, then I used longish chains. Moved one end up 6 inches, then moved the other end up six inches, moving the links on the hooks. Did this until it was just a few inches from the ceiling. Then I think I cut the excess chain off which may be a mistake if i ever want to get it down by myself, haha.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Mounting mine was the toughest DIY I have handled in my house (including the wood flooring)!

My stud finders did not work on the ceiling so I had to literally crawl in the crawl space, make identifying holes to locate the joists (took 3 attempts ), crawled back out and drilled for the lag-bolt/eye-bolts, and then use Loring's method to lift it all the way up. I used temporary ropes to 'climb it up', and then secured with chains. Don't wanna do that again.

But if you know your joist locations, the other part was easy enough.

Best of luck.
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Position, per my reading of the manual, and discussion with Grizzly tech support, will be just above and slightly to the left of the workbench / outfeed table. Looking into the shop from the overhead doors that is, so that the air from the back side of the saw and the sanding that is done on that end of the bench (which is where most of my power sanding / routing etc... magic happens...) gets pulled into the intake, I am guessing that they want the airflow to more or less "bounce" off the wall to try to initiate a circular air flow, I don't know for sure, but that is why I am guessing they recommend that it is mounted at an angle...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• DustyandLefty
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2006
                • Almost West Virginia
                • BT3000 w/ side and rear tables on wheels, BT3100 portable spare, old Delta contractor's

on the one hand, and on the other hand -- for Lchien -- I just used your chain technique to hang my Reliant in my garage shop; moving the thing up a few links at a time on the four corners. I didn't cut the chains afterwards, but I'd suggest if you ever have to lower yours, you could buy four quick links to re-attach the chain cutoffs in order to lower the unit.
                Still Dusty and Lefty

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  One man installation:

I mounted my air cleaner with hooks in the ceiling and eye-bolts on the cleaner.
                  I got it as high as i could on a temp table and some boxes on top of the table, then I used longish chains. Moved one end up 6 inches, then moved the other end up six inches, moving the links on the hooks. Did this until it was just a few inches from the ceiling. Then I think I cut the excess chain off which may be a mistake if i ever want to get it down by myself, haha.
                  If I thought it would put the filter where I needed it, I would do the chain method. Least vibration transfer to the frame of the house... Still might do it, just mark my studs, and rotate the unit until they line up, mark it and use chain, with some eye bolts, and turnbuckles. Have plenty of that stuff in various toolboxes.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

I'd use eye bolts and snap links (carabiners) I'd be easy and quick to snap it up there.
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2007
                      • Tacoma, WA
                      • BT3000

My neighbor has a home made one, he has tried it almost everywhere on the garage ceiling. For the past summer he likes it about 3 feet from the wall centered on the wall with the intake towards the garage door and the outlet to the house wall. His main work area is to the center of the garage. After moving it about he said that while he was using the saw the cleaner could not keep up and just tended to swirl things about when it was right over his work area (a table saw workbench). He said that off to the side it's more efficient in clearing the room of airborne dust than it was in other places. He also uses a shop vac on the saw but not on his sander.

As a side note, if vibration is an issue you can use those rubber hangers meant for mufflers and tail pipes, with a cable safety.

Bill
                      p.s. if you just balance it on the roof of your pickup then drive in the garage to where you want it......

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                        Bill
                        p.s. if you just balance it on the roof of your pickup then drive in the garage to where you want it......
                        From what I've seen on db's truck, I'm not even sure if it even would fit in the garage with a 2x4 on top.
                        Erik

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                          No dice. My pickup is too tall. 35x12.50 rubber with a 4.5" lift put the roof height just a hair over 7', and even though it is supposed to be a 7' tall door, the trim cuts it down about an inch shy...

My lovely 5' tall bride just LOVES that...
                          Last edited by dbhost; 09-15-2010, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2007
                            • Tacoma, WA
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
                            No dice. My pickup is too tall. 35x12.50 rubber with a 4.5" lift put the roof height just a hair over 7', and even though it is supposed to be a 7' tall door, the trim cuts it down about an inch shy...

My lovely 5' tall bride just LOVES that...
                            I had heard that everything is bigger in Texas..... so your 5' bride must be an import. Kansas perhaps....

and on a relevant note, you could tie some light rope to the air cleaner I bolts and run it up through the ceiling I bolts and then off to the raised garage door. Run the door down and lift the air cleaner. Use remote to stop it at the right height. Make sure 5' bride has video camera ready...

Bill
                            if it's not complicated you must not be doing it right...

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Good idea, but I am a bit Amish on the garage door thing. No automatic openers. I removed mine 8 years ago. No point in it for me anyway, I haven't been able to get my truck in there since I sold my Ranger...

I am not worried about lifting it up there, it's not THAT heavy, and I can get some help and another ladder. I am mostly worried about how to make the angle that Grizzly suggests...

Comment

Working...