X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Pappy
    The problem with cheaper casters is not in the wheel axles/bearings. Where you run into problems is in the swivel. Low end casters have a single row of bearings, usually loose spaced, and will bind up when you try to steer them. Better made casters have a double row of bearings to keep the swivel plates parallel and hold up better over time.
    The HF ones actually do have two rows of bearings, I was surprised. Hopefully they'll hold up.

I'm waffling now on my direction. The planer cart is basically done minus working on the height, and I went ahead and started on redoing my router table. I made it a lot taller and am doing it the right way this time. However, I'm torn. I look at people with the smaller shops and I'm envious of the big spaces. The more I look at the Ultimate Tool Stand, the more I want to build it. But with a router table already in progress, I don't see the point of having three (with the saw) points for having a router mounted. So I don't know. I'm starting to change my view toward a modular system, but I still don't want to be lifting and toting stuff from down low or up high.

Sigh. I just don't know.

Decided to break down what I like about that system, perhaps that will tell me what I should do.

I like the clamping aspect of the table, the slots built in. I really like that a lot. That might be something I could adapt to a smaller surface. I like that I would be able to push one thing out and it being a nice large surface. But it might be prohibitively heavy. Like that I could use the table as a feed table for both the MS and planer, and I can use it as a crosscut table.

I wonder if I could adapt the design as a 2x4 table instead of a 2x6 table. But if I went this route I would have to severely reduce the height of the router table I'm working on down to about 35-36" instead of the planned 40", because I wouldn't need to fit a flip-top planer cart underneath. I just wish I could see the vision...
    Last edited by Cochese; 07-27-2010, 02:24 PM.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Okay, here's an idea. I'll be raising my workbenches to accommodate the higher storage underneath, I may try to incorporate the clamping system into one or both of the tables, depending on how much higher it is. I could keep what I've done so far, at least for the short term, and gain the advantages of the clamping system. I'll be looking into that possibility over the next few days.

Comment

• toolguy1000
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • westchester cnty, ny

FYI...my take on a planer cart that fits under my TS:

no problems with stability at all. "hinge" was a piece of 1/2" emt conduit sandwiched between 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood.
        there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

I'm conducting a review of what I want in this next stage, and here's a question: if I go ahead and put in more electrical boxes in there, could I hook up an inlet box to accept the extension cord? Make everything available with one hook in?

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
            Okay, here's an idea. I'll be raising my workbenches to accommodate the higher storage underneath, I may try to incorporate the clamping system into one or both of the tables, depending on how much higher it is. I could keep what I've done so far, at least for the short term, and gain the advantages of the clamping system. I'll be looking into that possibility over the next few days.
            I'm still debating what to do to increase my efficiency. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be making one 4' section of the Ultimate Tool Stand to house the planer and miter saw. I'm not thrilled with the solutions I've made so far. Where the UTS has the removable section in the middle, mine will obviously have to be one one side of the table. Since my planer tables stretch out wider than two foot anyway, this will work to my advantage. I'll just mount the planer off to the outside edge.

The decision I'm struggling with right now is what to do with the other 2x4 space. I have three options, near as I can tell:

1) Make another 4' section of the UTS for more clamping space, the only difference that there would be no removable section. The two benched could combine to make essentially an 8' UTS.
            2) Make a full-fledged bench, such as a Holtzapffel or Roubo, but it would only be 4' long.
            3) Make a compromise of both. Combine a 2' section of UTS channel top and a 2' section of SYP with dog holes. Obviously, if I'm going to do this I won't build the base out of MDF

Right now I just don't know. I did modify my plans and are keeping everything about 35" tall so that anything could serve as an outfeed table for the saw. Thought that was one of the better ways I could go about this.

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

Thought I would update the thread up to the present, as it's woefully out of date now.

I'm not sure exactly what I had in the shed when I started this thread, but I'm starting to now refer to it as a shop. I've made a major purchase or two (bandsaw comes to mind), rearranged what seems like every week, and am trying to find a good balance as to what goes where and what I need.

The main aspect is that I've resigned myself to not being able to expand, so I'm trying to make the best use of space that I can. I ripped out an interior wall, and found it to be 1/4" plywood mounted on horizontal boards attached to studs. I had studs! I took out all of those boards and now one wall is 7/16 OSB, and I'm starting to put up a french cleat system. All walls will eventually be replaced with the OSB, but the rest is on hold until I can borrow a truck to take the waste product to the dump. Trying to fit plywood and boards into garbage bags didn't work the first time, and I'm not trying it again.

One work table got relegated outside, while the other does duty as a vice, junk accumulation station and spare sheet goods holder-upper until I get a cabinet bench made hopefully sometime this summer or fall. I (mostly) built my version of the Ultimate Tool Stand, until I realized it was too big and heavy to really work for my situation. It's now in a (mostly) disassembled state until I can figure out a use for all of that 3/4" MDF. What has now replaced it is a miter saw station/cabinet (note that this is the third MS stand, and hopefully the last) that is in need only of drawers and a replaceable top and fence system. I built a cart to go under the MS for cutoffs, which I have entirely too many of.

Permanent power is still a long ways off if it ever comes, so I'm making due quite nicely with a pair of extension cords on nice reels. I have a 12ga 50', and a 16ga 100' to handle all tasks thus far. I made a sturdier cubby for my lawnmower and my golf clubs and odd storage sits on top at least until I find a need for the space. The black metal shelving has left to do duties elsewhere, and the plastic shelving will probably do the same once I get scrap storage up on a wall.

After a nice recommendation, I picked up the HF 14" bandsaw and it's been very good thus far. Hopefully I'll be ordering the riser for it and a nice blade soon.

The router table, now in it's third iteration, won't be seeing a fourth anytime soon. I recently did a bit of work on the dust collection and drawers to get it closer to completion.

Lately the shop tasks have been on little things, like tool holders for the cleats. I have some for hammers, screwdrivers, my ROS, my batteries and charger, pliers and chisels. Yeah, I'm starting to get into hand tools and I'm quite enjoying it.

Dust collection is still a problem, but I won't get into fixing that until I can figure out how to run a dust collector on an extension cord. Just sweep and sweep until then, but that's okay.

Various construction pics, with up to date pictures at the very end.

Last edited by Cochese; 03-29-2011, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...