• Show
Clear All
  • pacwind3
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Vancouver, WA
    • Bosch 4100

New shop coming my way....

Well I have to brag. I've been working in one bay of a three car garage for a little over a year, happily I might add. The space has suited me well and I've had the other bays to spill into when needed.
    Since we are renting, we can be flexible and move if needed. My current landlord is also a home builder and he has a ranch house coming open that he offered to us. It's still a three bedroom two bath, but single story (we are glad to get rid of the stairs) and it's only about 100 square feet smaller then the current house. The best part: a detached 20'x34' shop. Inside there is rough framing for a bathroom: yes, running water! The house still has a two car garage as well so the LOML will get her garage for her car.
    I am just feeling so blessed that I will get a shop like this.
    I am seriously considering a small woodworking business now as well. Having a dedicated detached building would make it a write off if we decide to buy from him, which I am thinking we will do.
    Now, what to do with all that new space.....
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Ok, first a hearty "YOU SUCK".... but more importantly congrats on an awesome find! And if it fell into your lap, then all the more awesome for you. I am sure you are already staying up late trying out floor plans
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Hey, that's great news! Your landlord is ultimately trying to sell you a house,
      but man, he sounds like a great landlord! He obviously knew your weakness

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

You are gonna have fuuuuuunnnnnn!

(By the way, YOU SUCK...)

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Would one of the MODS please ban this guy.....I don't like him very much!
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Larryl
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Lorena, TX, USA.
            • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

There is a current country-western song that fits you titled; "I'm praying for you". Great find, let us see pictures of your new shop.
            I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• pacwind3
              Established Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Vancouver, WA
              • Bosch 4100

Thanks for all the well wishing, especially you Pappy
              The only real downside right now is that he only put one circuit into the garage. Apparently there is conduit that runs to the breaker box, which is in the two car garage, but it's opposite the shop on the property. They mentioned talking to their electrician to get me a couple more circuits. I really only need three, that's all I've had till now and it's worked well.
              Inside it's not insulated, and is just studs, but that'll make it easier to add outlets and lighting wherever I want.
              Also the dude that was there put in a small wood stove, which may stay. Free heat would be REALLY nice.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

That sounds really great.

Instead of adding more circuits from the breaker box they ought to just put in a sub panel in the outbuilding. They might even be able to use the existing wire in the conduit (if it's big enough).
                Erik

Comment

• billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

I second what Pelligrini said, especially if you are thinking about having a business in there. Electricity is like clamps. You can never have too much. Enjoy your shop!
                  Bill
                  "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• jabe
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Hilo, Hawaii
                    • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Boy i'm jealous, you are a lucky guy. Hope everything works out for you to buy that place. Like others suggested, put in a sub panel so you can add more circuits as your business grows. Good luck!!!

Comment

• pacwind3
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • Vancouver, WA
                      • Bosch 4100

Landlord contacted me yesterday and the old tenants should be out this weekend. Giving me about a three day head start on the move. She said I should be able to move into the shop first. SO, seems like I get to start moving Monday.
                      I was able to contact the electrical company that did the build and we are leaving towards a sub panel. Just seems line the cable to deliver like 80 amps, runs like $2.30+ a foot and HD. I figure the run will need minimum 50'. Hopefully I could keep everything under $200.

Comment

• Crash2510
                        • Feb 2006
                        • North Central Ohio

Hey Pac,

Congrats on the house and the shop. Be sure to shop around on your wire prices. Our cost for 4/0 ud aluminum is less than that, and that is capable of 200 amp. Remember (and some dont agree with me), their is nothing wrong with aluminum wire. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.

Phil
                        Phil In Ohio
                        The basement woodworker

Comment

• gsmittle
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                          • BT 3100

What to do with all that space????? You have to ask?????

Don't worry—it'll fill up before you know it. Then you'll need a larger shop.

Oh, and YOU SUCK!!!!!!

Have fun!

g.
                          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                          Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...