• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Stickers & spacing?

What do you guys do when storing your wood? I've never really seen much discussion on stickers except that they ought to be used when storing stock.

I have a mess of maple strips that used to be tongues and grooves on a couple hundred board feet of reclaimed flooring. They're about a 1/4" wide and 1/8" thick. I think they make perfect stickers (and stirring sticks). My lumber rack is some metal shelf brackets and wall strips from the borg. The brackets are spaced 24" OC fastened to the wall studs. I will put a sticker in line with the brackets and another in between giving me a 12" spacing. It seems to work pretty well.

I like the thinner strips as they don't take up a whole lot of my limited shelf space. Too much stuff and too little room.
    Erik
  • SARGE..g-47

I sticker.. without them you are not getting air to all surfaces and you will have pockets that are moister and drier in the stored lumber. Trust me.. that can wreck havoc in a build. It might show up initially when you slice and dice or latter down the road but.. likely it will show it's ugly head at some point.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Your support spacing (length wise) is OK. The thickness is OK as long as they are all the same. You just need to have air all around.

Comment

• smorris
        • Apr 2003
        • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I sticker the rough cut wood to acclimate and after I mill it to size I sticker it to reduce the chance of warping while it sits waiting for assembly. For stickers I cutup some old 3/4 plywood I had laying around into 1" wide strips that I place between each piece, how far between stickers depends on how long the piece is. For a 6' piece I might have 4 stickers.
        --
        Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

I just use paint stirrers cut in half... They're free, always available, and fairly uniform in thickness.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
            I just use paint stirrers cut in half... They're free, always available, and fairly uniform in thickness.

I always grab a handful when I can.

Comment

Working...