• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Cheap 2.5" hose for Shopvac DC

Hi,

One thing I discoverd about 3 weeks ago that I meant to post was a find on hose for a shop vac dust collector.

I built a Thein separator to work on a 20g can and I have to say, I'm blown away by how something so simple can work so well. Because my shop space is at a premium, I was looking to limit floor space so I built a stack that puts my shopvac above the garbage can. I used rocker 2.5 angled dust ports on the top of the separator. Obviously, I needed to run a hose from the can to the shop vac. I found an RV sewer hose at Walmart that was "expandable" up to 10 ft. It is farily heavy gauge vinyl and has wire rings for support so that it doesn't collapse. I ended up wrapping some duct tape around an old shop vac 2.5 fitting and the hose snugged right in. I put it on the shopvac and found that the suction from the shopvac caused the hose to retract and form a nearly straight pipe from the shopvac to the separator.

The cost was about $6.00. I'm not sure how good it would be over long runs, but it works well for short drops.

Just a thought.
  • herb fellows
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • New York City
    • bt3100

Sailor, you're like 'the gift that keeps on giving'! Thanks for the info!
    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• sailor55330
      Established Member
      • Jan 2010

Everyone here offered me a an awful lot of support. If I can find anything that helps even a little, then the least I can do is try to share.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

That's a good one, hadn't thought of it. Another inexpensive hose is the discharge hose for sump pumps. It's not as flexible but the small one fits on the vac port of the ROS and the little shop vac hose fits into it. The stiffness of the hose helps to carry it away from the work rather than working over the edge and causing damage. I have a larger one that I use on the exhaust port of the large shop vac when I don't want the exhaust to blow dust around where I am working.

Next time I'm at WallyWorld I'll have to look at that hose.

Bill
        over here in the rain

Comment

• toolguy1000
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • westchester cnty, ny

any chance for a sku or bar code for the hose? makes finding things at a large store a whole lot easier. failing that, a copy of the receipt would be most helpful. thanks.
          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• sailor55330
            Established Member
            • Jan 2010

I'm sorry, I dont' have either---I threw away the box and the reciept.

BUT, in every Walmart store there is usually an RV section either in or near the automotive section. It's usually about a 4ft section. It comes in a box and there are 2 or three different grades. I'll see if I can find it tonight

Comment

Working...