• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Bassett
    Established Member
    • May 2003
    • Shalimar, Florida, USA.

Shop Makeover

I need to reorganize my one-car garage. What do the members that take on this task do with the tools, screws while the remodel is going on?

When you rehab a total garage, do you need permits?
    Bob Bassett from Northwest Florida
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

right now, my lumber, cabinets, some tools etc are out in front of the house on my flatbed trailer covered with tarps. Smaller tools are in the basement, and larger tools are mobile so I shove them back and forth and work around them. It's a colossal pain.

I need three weeks once the insulation guys can get their truck up our driveway to sheetrock, tape, texture, and paint, then rehang everything and install the new fixtures.
    Chr's

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

You need to ask the building inspector for your area whether you need permits. In my area, electrical and plumbing need permits. Framing may, it depends on what it is and whether it is structural.

While I was working on my shop interior last fall, all the big stuff except my TS was in the basement. TS was mobile, all the rest of the tools I stored on a flatbed that has casters on it. That way I could move everything around.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• wardprobst
        • Jan 2006
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

Last time I did a big makeover I just rented storage, moved the big stuff there, finished the major stuff and moved it back.
        DP
        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

I'm doing my basement shop now.

Basically, I've been moving my shelving units away from the wall I'm working on. Once I have access, I'm removing the tacky panelling and painting the concrete block walls.

Once I have my first wall painted, I'm going to hang shelving standards and put my shelves up, and move everything off the old steel shelves. Then I'll shuffle the tools to one side of the shop and start on the floor.

I figure if I work on it a little bit every weekend I should be done sometime around 2020.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Electrical and plumbing require permits. Structural requires permits, insulation, seals, sheetrock, paint, epoxy floors, etc... do not. YMMV depending on where you are doing this...

My plan for when I do the floors is to borrow a friends 8x20 cargo trailer, move everything on the floor, into the trailer, and of course lock it up... Do the floor, then when the floor is cured, move it all back
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

My first shop (a rental) was sold to a buyer that wanted to occupy the space. I had very little time to find another space that would be acceptable. Between the power requirements, square footage, and tractor trailer access, it wasn't easy. After several weeks the new buyer approached me to find out how I was doing. He offered me the space he occupied (a rental).

It was perfect, but about twice the size of what I had. So, we made the arrangements. The only problem we both had for the switch was that neither of us had an empty space to move to. We both had to just move "stuff" and literally each of us had huge piles on the floor.

All this occurred with work in progress. It took about 2 months to get set up, and even after that there were modifications to make the space more usable. I had to work out of boxes and free standing shelf units. Sheet goods and lumber just stacked against the wall. What a PITA.

Comment

Working...