• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Ice

After we tore apart the house in November to add radiant floor heating, I've spent the last three weeks busting my hump to get the shop ready for polyurethane spray foam insulation. Four new 20 amp circuits, new lighting, moved a wall that just wasted space, added a drain for the dehumidifier, etc.

The insulation contractor showed up on time and couldn't get their truck and trailer around the corner in our driveway. After 45 minutes of trying, they went on to their next job. I put a couple hundred pounds of salt and sand on the driveway and with a few warm days coming up, we might be ready to give it a go again on Friday ... or next Monday or in June.
    Chr's
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Work is tough, especially with a busted hump, but you will persevere...

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Let me know how it works out, looking to have our insulation replaced with foam too.

Comment

• GregL
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2009
        • Prairieville, La
        • Grizzly G480 cabinet saw

Foam Insulation

Polyurethane foam insulation is fantastic. You are going to really appreciate it. Another advantage is that there is no moisture or humidity in the shop. REally helps to keep the moisture content of lumber at its lowest.

The contractor that sprayed my shop was able to pull up right to the doors of the shop but he said he has enough hose and pressure to reach 150ft.

I had it sprayed in my shop when I was building it and it really makes a tremendous difference. When the cold spell was here a couple of weeks ago and it got down to about 18 degrees my shop was very comfortable. It is 24 x 40 with 10 ft ceilings and the temperature stayed around 70 degrees with my electric heater.
        Every small step of any project should be considered your masterpiece if you want the finished product to reflect the quality of your work. Have a nice day, unless you have other plans! "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002

We've had 2/3 of the upstairs of the house done already and half of the basement. I love the quiet it provides compared to the old fiberglass batts and not a single cold spot anywhere on the walls. We'll get the last part of the house done when we redo the kitchen, dining room, and master suite.

It has the added advantage of being really cool to watch when they install it. Our local company, Interstate Building Supply, also charges the same rate / square foot whether they're doing an entire house or just one room so it isn't costing me an arm and a leg to do this piecemeal. They also show up on time, every time. It takes a few weeks to a month to get on their schedule but it's nice to work with true professionals.

Full service building center and lumber company with locations in Cannon Falls and Wabasha, MN. We offer a full line of lumber, building materials and high quality products and services.
          Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

They made it up the driveway this morning. Two weeks of temps in the 30's did the trick.
            Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002

And less than four hours later ...

They're done and my 28x28 garage is fully insulated

A couple of photos

Along the rim cavity
              Chr's

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Looks good. What is the cost per sqft to install? Thinkinng about it for the new room I am building.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

That is sweet, congrats
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by crokett
                    Looks good. What is the cost per sqft to install? Thinkinng about it for the new room I am building.
                    They charged 2.65 a square foot at 3" thick which is what they did for all the exterior walls and the rim joists.

They charged 2.20 a square foot for 2.5" thick in the 2x4 wall between the house and the garage.

This company only sprays the closed cell insulation. The closed cell is more expensive but is air and vapor tight so no vapor barrier is needed. Closed cell is R7 per inch and open cell is R3.5 per inch. With open cell they fill the cavity full and then trim off the excess. Closed cell they fill the cavity about 2/3 full.
                    Chr's

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol
                      This company only sprays the closed cell insulation. The closed cell is more expensive but is air and vapor tight so no vapor barrier is needed. Closed cell is R7 per inch and open cell is R3.5 per inch. With open cell they fill the cavity full and then trim off the excess. Closed cell they fill the cavity about 2/3 full.
                      Interesting, thanks for posting about this. I don't have a use now, but I think that will be something that I look into one day.
                      Bill

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Hmm.... ok so about 3x the cost of bats. Thanks for the info. That is a good starting point. I'd love to have it but not sure we can afford it.
                        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jackellis
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

When we built our house, I looked at three options - batts, foam and blown-in fiberglass. We went with blown-in fiberglass because it insulates better than batts and costs less than foam. I really wanted foam but could not justify the price in energy savings, even at peak prices for natural gas.

When you build the room, if you don't use foam make sure gaps in the framing are sealed. Use cans of spray foam. Relatively cheap and worth the time and effort.

Comment

Working...