• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Power To The Shop

The hard part is done. Trench is in and wire is run. Tomorrow is the panel work on both ends. Now a smart man would have looked at the trencher and realized that the dirt will only clear properly if you trench backwards. He also would have started at the shop and worked back to the septic tank, then started at the house and worked back to the tank.

I am not a smart man so first I started out running it forwards until I realized that the dirt was just filling in the trench I just cut. After I figured that out, I then started between the house and the tank and worked back to the tank, then started at the house and worked back. Of course this left a lot of dirt I had to dig out by hand. I didn't rfigure out I should start at the shop until of course I started at the tank and worked back to the shop, then turned the trencher around to finish the last few feet..... That doesn't include the rocks that the trencher wouldn't clear that I had to get out by hand, or the 18" dia 6" thick one that was sitting 6" down directly beneath the panel at the house.

My neighbor and I split the cost of the trencher. It took me 3+ hours to trench 130ish feet. It took him half that time to trench 150.

David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

Next time you will know....

Looking good, nice setting for the shop and no one about to complain about the noise.

Did you run a sewer line from the shop to the tank for you slop sink? And water out from the house?

Bill
    Always thinking of things for others to do

Comment

• just started
      • Mar 2008
      • suburban Philly

He should chip in extra for the lessons in operation you gave him.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by just started
        He should chip in extra for the lessons in operation you gave him.
        He knew what he was doing already. his comment was 'You shoulda asked me!'.

No water line right now, maybe someday. Real problem is no septic. Tank is uphill from the shop so I would need a pump.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Didja run cable, cat5e (cat 6 maybe) and phone lines out there while you're in the vicinity?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Didja run cable, cat5e (cat 6 maybe) and phone lines out there while you're in the vicinity?
            No. Might regret it later but that is what wireless/cordless is for. I don't ever plan to have a computer in the shop and don't want a phone. Can't hear it over the tools and don't want the distraction. Besides we mostly use our cell phones anyway.
            David

Comment

Working...