• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Wiring The Shop -A Surprise

I am planning the electrical run to my shop. The panel in the shop is rated at 100A. Originally I was planning to run 2-2-4-6Al at 90A since I won't come close to 100A ever. I built a quickie load calculator and worst case having all my tools running to the nameplate rating I came up with 54A used - that is all lights on, DC, Shop Vac, Saw, Planer, Jointer, pool, shed, etc all at the same time and all fully loaded. So obviously I don't need 90A. However, checking prices and 2-2-4-6Al is $1.20/foot. #6 copper to feed 60A is $.60/ft so three runs is 1.80/ft and that doesn't include the ground wire. So now I am leaning towards just running the 90A. I would save enough on the Al to run it in conduit and buy the 90A breaker.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • master53yoda
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Spokane Washington
    • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

what is the price on 4-4-6-8 al and 60 amp service
    Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Good question. I checked on this earlier and it is the same, more or less. No one here sells bundled 4-4-6-8 nor do they carry #6 or #8 Al. #4Al is $.20/foot and #8cu green is #.32/foot so 4-4-4Al+8cu is $.92 foot but that requires conduit. The 2-2-4-6 is direct burial. Throwing in the cost of conduit and fittings and I am right back to the cost of the 2-2-4-6. Plus running the larger is easier - no pulls through conduit. The only difference then is the cost of the breaker. Of course I could just install a 60A breaker. However IMO the 90A is worth the difference in breaker price.
      Last edited by crokett; 11-11-2009, 03:34 PM.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• master53yoda
        Established Member
        • Oct 2008
        • Spokane Washington
        • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

might as well go with the 90A
        Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I don't know about the codes or requirements in your area, but here to get a permit a drawing of sorts showing the existing and proposed work to be done is needed. With laying out a new shop I was wondering if you did drawings showing the electrical?

With the consultations you've had with the inspector and an electrician, it seems that the decisions on details like wire sizes, type, and connections would be very easy to address with a drawing or even a sketch.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Cabman, the question isn't the wire size as much as it is what I am willing to pay for. I don't -need- 90A but it turns out I can get it for as much as it would cost to run 60A, so I will. Drawings are not needed for permits here, at least for electrical work. They are for building permits.
            David

Comment

• tseavoy
              Established Member
              • May 2009
              • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
              • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

It appears that you have zeroed in on the best solution. I believe that 2 ga aluminum will have less voltage drop than 4 ga copper and is cheaper.
              Around where I live the norm is that if you can do the job unnoticed you don't need a permit. My experience with the state electrical inspectors has not been good, ranging from incompetence to those looking for a gotcha. The journeymen and master electricians have much more on the ball, but of course cannot work without a permit. I admit my shop would not pass inspection, but it has worked for 25 years with no problem. I would like to have a heavier line feeding it, but that involves tearing up the yard and I guess I can live with it the way it is.

Tom on Marrowstone

God, let me be the man my dog thinks I am

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

T I will probably pull a permit for this. I can do the work unnoticed but when I do the carport room addition that will require a permit. The inspector will be the same as the one for my panel upgrade and it will be obvious that I just did the shop power. I'm not afraid of not passing - I know the requirements for this much better than I did for my panel upgrade. The only thing I need to ask the inspector is if there is a rough-in before the final or can I do the whole job and then have him come out and inspect it.
                Last edited by crokett; 11-11-2009, 08:44 PM.
                David

Comment

• phi1l
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Madison, WI

I think the rule of thumb is figure out what all you could possibly need & double it for future expansion. You never know when someone might drop a 4 ft' wide belt sander for doing table tops in one pass in your lap.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by phi1l
                    I think the rule of thumb is figure out what all you could possibly need & double it for future expansion. You never know when someone might drop a 4 ft' wide belt sander for doing table tops in one pass in your lap.

Floor space could be as much of a problem as the electrical.

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      Floor space could be as much of a problem as the electrical.
                      I almost said that was an easy fix - I read 'space' as 'specs'. It is 6:30 AM here and I haven't had coffee yet though.
                      David

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by crokett
                        T I will probably pull a permit for this. I can do the work unnoticed but when I do the carport room addition that will require a permit. The inspector will be the same as the one for my panel upgrade and it will be obvious that I just did the shop power. I'm not afraid of not passing - I know the requirements for this much better than I did for my panel upgrade. The only thing I need to ask the inspector is if there is a rough-in before the final or can I do the whole job and then have him come out and inspect it.
                        Haven't you covered it already? Around here on new construction and remodels there's an inspection before it is covered.
                        Erik

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by pelligrini
                          Haven't you covered it already? Around here on new construction and remodels there's an inspection before it is covered.
                          The work I am permitting now isn't covered. The shop is wired but I haven't pulled the service yet.
                          David

Comment

• crokett
                            The Full Monte
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Mebane, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Well I ended up with 2-2-2-4 for only a couple cents more per foot than the wire I planned on. Had a 10% off coupon for Lowes. Called HD and they beat the price so I got the wire there.
                            David

Comment

Working...