• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Miter Saw Location

I've been planning that the miter saw would go on the left on the other side of the DP (the red stand) in this pic:

The idea was that I could use the counter on the end wall to support long cuts. However I was out there last night doing some more cleaning and rearranging. What I forgot was the red cabinet is taller than the counter and it would limit the length of pieces I can cut - I want 8' at least to one side of the blade. Now I am thinking of putting it between the counters across the window that is straight ahead in this pic. That gives me almost 8' to either side of the blade. What do you guys think? I don't ever plan to open that window.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

One of the problems with using counters as outfeed or support worksurfaces is that it needs to be clear of stuff. That's usually a big problem for me. If you don't plan on getting to the window much, it should work.
    Erik

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I'm sticking with the mobile folding stand. Dust collection on Miter saws is awful anyway. So I simply blow the dust out the back and down the street...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Garasaki
        • Sep 2006

I have regulated myself to a folding stand for my miter saw as well.

Honestly I'd prefer not to ever use the miter saw again - I'd rather just do crosscuts on the TS, especially for "woodworking" projects".

The miter saw's, well really the folding stand's, main advantage is lots of outfeed and infeed support - which makes it very nice for chopping 2x4's for "construction" projects.

I also prefer to use my miter saw in the driveway (for duct collection reasons).

I built a little docking station for my stand to keep it from falling over - it's was never particularly stable leaning against the wall, and I have little ones running about so that made me nervous.
        -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
        -Henry Blake

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I've always used The RAS L/R tables to install (permanently) the CMS/SCMS. Eight feet may not be enough. Some mouldings are 16' and may require end cuts, as well as lumber longer than 8'.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Ditto what Erik said above about there always being stuff in the way when you want to make a cut. If it's just a couple of cuts, you'll find yourself looking for other options, rather than having to move projects in progress, etc. out of the way. You might consider a pullout type of arrangement, so that you can "aim" the saw to allow you to open a door or something to feed long trim pieces, etc. into the left side of the saw. then just use a fold-up stand or something like that for infeed support.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
              Veteran Member
              • May 2007
              • Tacoma, WA
              • BT3000

If you mount the CMS on a pull out so the top is level with the drawers you can pull out the saw and drawers as needed for support. Clean counter is not needed this way. If you mount the saw so that one end lines up with a door or window you can let really long pieces extend outside for end cuts.

With the saw in front of the window you can just open the window for dust collection. You could do this remotely if you happened to have an old garage door opener...

Bill,
              Awaiting another sunny day on the Beautiful Oregon Coast

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

i built this simple miter saw station
                This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

The main feature is the t-track that runs the length of the 8-ft. center support board. With the saw on a platform that slides and locks to the main board, I can positiion the saw to the right or to the left so I can support long boards in either direction. There are two support rollers and two more support "bars" with stops that slide in the tracks and are at the precise height and also some small stops that lock to the tracks to stop the stops so I can have alll sorts of stop and support combinations.
                It was quite cheap and its fairly portable and works on sawhorses or a benchtop or a B&D workmmate if you wish.

and I have to admit to keeping junk and small scraps, measuring tools, etc between the sliding rollers even when in use, so it doesn't have to be perfectly clear.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-20-2009, 10:08 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Erik is right about the need to keep countertops clear. In a small shop with limited space and tool-placement options, one dodge is to do as I did two shop buildings ago (which, at 10' x 19', was definitely a small shop). Rather than mounting the miter saw with its table flush to the adjoining surfaces, I placed it atop a workbench on an elevated stand and then rigged up some roller supports for long stock:

The two portable rollers can be slid left and right to suit the length of the piece being crosscut. The fixed roller at the right end of the OS/B sander provides a second support for longer/heavier workpieces. (Although it's not apparent in this photo, the sander sat far enough back that it was behind the CMS's fence and did not interfere with any crosscutting operation, regardless of the stock's length.) I had another fixed roller at the left end of the bench, but it's out of the frame in this shot.

The two main advantages of a setup like this are (1) the work bench doesn't have to be kept completely clear: anything lower than the tops of the rollers can stay where it is; and (2) the CMS table is raised up to a height that makes it easier to see your cut line without having to stoop or bend over so far.

EDIT: Loring posted his solution while I was writing up mine. Similar concepts, different implementations.
                  Last edited by LarryG; 10-20-2009, 10:10 AM.
                  Larry

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to think about this some more. I built this a while ago to make my miter saw portable. Well at least luggable. I designed it to sit on saw horses. I don't want to waste this work so thought I would build a stand or cabinet that it can sit on when it isn't at a job site. As-is it is heavy and I am not crazy about rigging up a slide arrangement to slide it in and out. I might do a shelf to store it, and then bring it out as needed but again it is heavy. I might borrow Larry's idea and set it up so the bottom of the current setup is flush with the counter. That elevates it above most of the clutter.

David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Larryl
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Lorena, TX, USA.
                      • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

David, you might consider a rolling miter station, it has given me the extra storage plus the ability to move to a location that will accomodate whatever length infeed room needed.
                      Attached Files
                      I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

Along the same lines as what Larryl has suggested above, here is a ready-made product... I have my planer mounted on a similar model, and I love it. It is well-made and stable, and folds up in two shakes and rolls out of the way when not needed.

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Larry, the rolling station might be it. I am looking to use that space between the counters for a tool, but it occurs to me that the lathe just might fit there, if the fridge is moved somewhere else. I can put the miter saw on a rolling stand and stash it elsewhere. Thanks for the suggestion.
                          Last edited by crokett; 10-21-2009, 01:25 PM.
                          David

Comment

Working...