Now that I have the compressor... Dumb storage Q...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Now that I have the compressor... Dumb storage Q...

So the concept is to build a stand for the dust collector to sit on. (This picks up the intake of the DC, and gets rid of a LOT of hose, and bends and such going to the Thien separator...).

The compressor that I chose was chosen in no small part because of its overall size, it could fit under the DC. (my overall master plan is to get everything in a smallish 12x16 building as most folks here know, but newcomers may not recall).

I am however, at a loss for what to do with the air hose. Yes the 1/2" hose is too big, and is being traded for 3/8" hose, but that trade is bringing 75' of hose (1 25' hose and 1 50' hose). Assuming for a minute that I am wanting to keep both available for tasks like running around the back yard and nailing up fence pickets.... How would I store them, while keeping at least the 25' hose available at all times?

I was thinking about stashing the 50' away, and building a goal post-ish sort of thing on the corner of the DC stand to hold the hose. But that leaves a bunch of winding and wrapping of the hose to do...

Are the hose reels, the non auto retracting type worth the space they use? How do you connect everything up? Do they need a short jumper hose to go between them and the compressor, or does the hose just sort of go through them?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • sparkeyjames
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Redford MI.
    • Craftsman 21829

Hang a short 2x4 high up on a wall at a right angle jutting outward and put the coiled 50 footer on it. Simple effective and out of the way. Unless of course you get cabinet crazy and need the wall space.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Put a hook on the side of your DC.

get polyurethane hose.

or get a spring-retracting hose reel and mount it to the ceiling.

Or look at the pic i posted recently of the PU hose... its on a small stand with hose pegs on either side, and a small box on top with tool oil dropper, air adapters, two air blower nozzles, Tire gauge, tire chuck adapter etc.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-18-2009, 12:45 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

The cheap ($9.99 on sale) HF manual hose reels are worth it. They sell them for more elsewhere (same thing), and they hold up to 100' of 3/8" air hose. You mount them on a stud, and use a short hose between them and the pipe or air compressor (should have a shutoff at least before it).

I don't know your shops layout, do you need air lines run? (that could help with its placement)
        For the 25' one, I tend to either sling it over a hose reel (where I can also keep short extension cords) or more frequently, use a velcro strap, to keep it together, and toss it over a nail/rake hanger, etc.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• os1kne
          • Jan 2003
          • Atlanta, GA
          • BT3100

I had a similar issue recently. The best place for my compressor is in the rear of the garage, which is convenient for my woodworking air tools, but I often use the compressor to fill tires, impact gun, etc. in the driveway. I got a reel that I put near my garage door and ran air hose overhead. Something like this may work for you. The air hose from HF is relatively inexpensive to give it a shot.
          Bill

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

My compressor lives under my workbench. A hose comes
            out of the bench, up the wall, and over to a 25' HF
            retractable hose reel that's above the bench/TS area.

That setup works great to cover all the areas of the shop
            and keeps the hose out of the way. On the rare occassion
            when I need to use the air outside, I grab another 25'
            hose from a storage shelf and quick connect it on. When
            I'm done, wrap up the extra hose and retract the hose.

Paul

Comment

• bigstick509
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Macomb, MI, USA.
              • BT3100

Like os1kne, the best location for my large compressor was in the back of the shop/garage.
              I ran a overhead line to the middle of the shop and used a reel from there.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...