X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric
    • Jun 2003
    • Cocolalla, ID
    • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

Yeah, I don't have a slab. I poured footings and piers and then set the 6x6 posts on top of the piers and attached them to that for the outside walls. For the 2 posts that I added when I put the floor up I poured a footing and the set the post and then concreted them in.

I'm leaving the hoist where it is to pull plywood and other materials up. I've brought my bandsaw, jointer, table saw and lots of plywood using the hoist already. Much easier than the ladder was and much stairs are.

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

so the two main posts that support the upper floors are in direct contact with their respective concrete footings and are surrounded by concrete below grade?
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Eric
        • Jun 2003
        • Cocolalla, ID
        • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

Right, I dug a hole put concrete in then next day I set the post into the hole onto the footing and poured concrete around the post to ground level. Each post I added has 4 bags of concrete under and around it.

Originally posted by toolguy1000
        so the two main posts that support the upper floors are in direct contact with their respective concrete footings and are surrounded by concrete below grade?

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

What a great looking space! Congrats on such a location. Sorry to hear of your fathers untimely passing, may he rest in peace.

As for the posts, are they sitting on steel connectors embedded into the concrete or are the posts themselves directly in the concrete? If they are raised off on a steel connector, you may want to wrap that in expansion strip before you pour, and make sure its taller than the final height of the slab.

....just reread your last post.... are you not worried about rotting out the wood?
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

took the words right out of my mouth. while it's size alone makes it remarkable, it looks like it's being finished in a truly outstanding manner. but i am always amazed at how different the building codes are in different parts of the country. around here, in the suburbs just north of NYC, no building inspector would allow structural members to come in direct contact with either the soil or concrete. when we build decks, we're required to have 42" footings with simpson strong tie (or similar) connectors between the support posts and the footings. just curiouis..what did your building inspector say about the posts when you filed the building permit?
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Eric
              • Jun 2003
              • Cocolalla, ID
              • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

In the county that I live they don't have building permits they have building LOCATION permits. So they just come out and look at where the building is going to be to make sure where it is in relation to surface water such as creeks, lakes etc.

The frost line here is 24" and all my footings are quite a bit below the 24" mark. I've consulted with various fiends and aquantinces that have worked in the trades for years and they've never seen a 6" preassure treated post rot off above ground. So I went that route. I can always add a steel post if I don't feel that the post is working out.

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

I dunno Eric. In my dad's barn we had to dig down and pour formed footings to replace some rotted out 12" creosote treated posts. We cut them off about 2' up, jacked them up slightly, poured the footing then lowered them down onto the concrete. Of course the posts were 80+ years old, had had cows, etc pooping and peeing on them and that was where all the rainwater drained to....
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Eric
                  • Jun 2003
                  • Cocolalla, ID
                  • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

Yeah, I know that they will rot off eventually. Nothing is permanent and I realize that, I just am betting that they'll last longer than I will.

Comment

Working...