• Show
Clear All
  • rxvii
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2009
    • Cheshire, CT
    • Ryobi BTS21 with miter channel

A Man Cave

When I retired, I got rid of my lawn tractor, all my lawn equipment, and gutted my 8 x 12 shed. I added two windows to the shed (it had none), put in a new floor over the plywood, brought out two 20 amp lines from the house electrical panel, added heat and air conditioning. If you are creative with the space, it actually is not that small. I have a table saw, drill press, chop saw, band saw, disc sander, and a pretty good dust-collection system. This is not the way to go if you are going to wrestle around with 4x8 sheets of plywood or want a jointer or thickness planer. But for what I want to do, it works. Now, I have a service mow my lawn, rake the leaves, etc. and I can concentrate on the more important things in life.
    Last edited by rxvii; 05-31-2010, 11:53 PM. Reason: misspelled word
    rxvii
    As Sir Isaac Newton replied in answer to an important question, "Chickens at rest tend to stay at rest; chickens in motion tend to cross the road!"

Comment

• Steve Callis

I voted that I have a large outbuilding, maybe I should have put other, but that doesn't tell all the story. I have taken an old single wide mobile home that I got for free, taken everything off the frame and started over. Yes, it has wheels. It is 13 1/2 x 48 feet (it was 60 ft) with a slopping ceiling that is 7 1/2 on one side and 9 1/2 on the other side. I have put 12 grand in it so far and will end up with about 3 grand more before it's done. I hope to post some pics when it's farther along. It has 6 inch walls, 6 220 outlets, 2 110 circuits with about 15 plugs on each, two lighting circuits with a total of about 15 T8 4 ft shop lights, a clear view 5 hp DC system, 2 32 inch doors and a 6 ft double door. Just joined and really like the site so far.

A question? I am thinking of putting OSB board on the walls instead of drywall, what are your thoughts? And how would you finish it?

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Working with a worn down 12^2 shed. About a third is dedicated to storing old crap from the kids, hopefully I'll be able to get some stuff out of there this summer. Right now I have two 4-shelf shelving units (one plastic, one metal), two '$20 workshop tables' (Google), a in-progress dedicated router table/cabinet, and another 1' tall bookshelf dedicated to detailing equipment.

It's a very small space, I tend to do most everything outside. And this is before the saw gets here. I'm currently working on a plan to increase efficiency.
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Sounds pretty cool Steve. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

A lot of the guys that used OSB just painted it a light color.
          Erik

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by rxvii
            When I retired, I got rid of my lawn tractor, all my lawn equipment, and gutted my 8 x 12 shed. I added two windows to the shed (it had none), put in a new floor over the plywood, brought out two 20 amp lines from the house electrical panel, added heat and air conditioning. If you are creative with the space, it actually is not that small. I have a table saw, drill press, chop saw, band saw, disc sander, and a pretty good dust-collection system. This is not the way to go if you are going to wrestle around with 4x8 sheets of plywood or want a jointer or thickness planer. But for what I want to do, it works. Now, I have a service mow my lawn, rake the leaves, etc. and I can concentrate on the more important things in life.
            My setup is very similar, a 10x12 shed. I even added a 5x12 storage hall on the side. A lumber rack on the shed wall, large sheet goods on the outside wall and smaller sheet goods at the end. The middle area stores my sawhorses, outfeed table, shop vac etc.

I've been pretty creative with the space, even using the stud space cavaties for storage, but it actually is that small. If I wasn't such a packrat there might be a little more open space.
            Erik

Comment

• Larryl
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Lorena, TX, USA.
              • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

Originally posted by Steve Callis
              I voted that I have a large outbuilding, maybe I should have put other, but that doesn't tell all the story. I have taken an old single wide mobile home that I got for free, taken everything off the frame and started over. Yes, it has wheels. It is 13 1/2 x 48 feet (it was 60 ft) with a slopping ceiling that is 7 1/2 on one side and 9 1/2 on the other side. I have put 12 grand in it so far and will end up with about 3 grand more before it's done. I hope to post some pics when it's farther along. It has 6 inch walls, 6 220 outlets, 2 110 circuits with about 15 plugs on each, two lighting circuits with a total of about 15 T8 4 ft shop lights, a clear view 5 hp DC system, 2 32 inch doors and a 6 ft double door. Just joined and really like the site so far.

A question? I am thinking of putting OSB board on the walls instead of drywall, what are your thoughts? And how would you finish it?
              Steve, that sounds like you are going to have a great shop. The OSB painted would make a good interior wall but you might think about using 1/4" hardboard(Masonite). It is pretty cheap and almost indestructible, but definitely paint it a light color. I have a 16x20 shop with 12-2 tube fixtures and some over the tool lights + the movable lights on drill press and band saw, plus 3 windows and two 24x24 skylights and sometimes wish I had more. You can't get too much light for old eyes.
              I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• dadshideout
                Forum Newbie
                • Jun 2007

Workshop

I took over our smaller pole barn from a previous kennel business. It"s 24x30, heated air conditioned, insulated r-19 batts with radient barrier foil, 100 amp service with 220. My dream man cave.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • westchester cnty, ny

in our municipality, osb is not permitted as an interior wall covering as it is not fire resistant like drywall. if this is intended as a permenant structure, or if you want it to be safe, i'd check with the local building dept.
                  there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Holland, Michigan
                    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                    Working with a worn down 12^2 shed. About a third is dedicated to storing old crap from the kids, hopefully I'll be able to get some stuff out of there this summer. Right now I have two 4-shelf shelving units (one plastic, one metal), two '$20 workshop tables' (Google), a in-progress dedicated router table/cabinet, and another 1' tall bookshelf dedicated to detailing equipment.

It's a very small space, I tend to do most everything outside. And this is before the saw gets here. I'm currently working on a plan to increase efficiency.
                    I don't know if you have already ordered a saw, but for a small shop, you can't beat the Craftsman 21829 (Red upgraded BT3 on wheels). Folds up into a tiny space but is a quite large saw in capability. Very easy to roll outside if you want to cut sheet goods, etc and to stow in a corner when you want it out of the way.

The 21829, combined with a shopsmith that I use for lathe, bandsaw, sanding (12" disk and 6"x48" belt) and drilling, give me a remarkably capable shop in my little 10' x 11' space.
                    Doug Kerfoot
                    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                    KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Coolmeadow Creations
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Sep 2006
                      • Fort Worth area

I don't visit past the bargain forum much here. Thought I'd look through and see what's shaking.
                      I have a detached shop that is 20 X 24, with an enclosed porch that adds another 12 X 14 that I will eventually be used for assembly and finishing. This originally was a car port, then when the old house here burned down, they built a new house and enclosed the car port, very poorly I might add. The main shop has only 7'8" for the ceiling height, and the 4' edge across the north 20' wall is 1 1/2" less than the rest. When they built the porch, they kept the same ceiling height.
                      Still have a ways to go to get it finished, but it is usable. Jim.

Comment

• gabedad
                        Established Member
                        • May 2005
                        • Chelmsford, MA.
                        • unfortunately bts-15

we will be building a barn in the next few months. It will be 24x30 and two levels. Downstairs will be workshop /bikes lawn equip etc. Up top will be storage

Barn builder is www.geobarns.com

Comment

• 4estgump
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
                          • Ryobi BT3000

I have a 30x60 basement. LOML lets me have a 15x30 shop. I have another 15x15 that i can use if i get the timing down right to ask her. The problem is the right time has not come in the last 10 years, and may never. I do with what i have so far. Gets kinda cramped at times.
                          4est

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by gabedad
                            we will be building a barn in the next few months. It will be 24x30 and two levels. Downstairs will be workshop /bikes lawn equip etc. Up top will be storage

Barn builder is www.geobarns.com
                            Those look nice. I hope you post some in-progress pics.

Comment

• sblg43
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Nov 2009
                              • Door County, WI
                              • Ryobi BT3000 (1992)

I have a one car attached garage. LOML kept asking when we were gonna be able to fit the car in. I calmly explained that we do not have a garage, we have a workshop with a garage door so that large projects can be moved in and out.

I also mentioned to her that the car is made to withstand the outdoors, the table saw is not.

This coming summer, I hope to build a shed in the backyard that will accommodate all yard tools. This would include anything that is not woodworking related such as rakes, shovels, lawnmowers, snow blowers and motorcycles.
                              Last edited by sblg43; 03-11-2011, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• tommyt654
                                Veteran Member
                                • Nov 2008

For the moment 2 15 x 15 storage rooms, But that is soon to change

Comment

Working...