• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Separate Machine and Assembly Rooms?

As some of you will remember, I'm currently in the staring-thoughtfully-into-space phase of designing the new shop building I plan to build in a few years time.

What do y'all think about having completely separate rooms for the machines and for assembly? "Assembly" could include the use of hand tools that don't spray sawdust all over the place ... planes, chisels, or anything else used for fitting purposes. Nail guns and cordless drill/drivers would be okay, too.

The main advantage touted by those who have such a setup is that all the noise and dust is kept separate from the area where one does glue-ups and takes the project closer to the finishing stage. Disadvantages would be lots more footsteps (probably) and having to move material back and forth between the two rooms.

Under the right circumstances, the assembly room could double as a finishing room -- a function that I'm sure all will agree is best kept completely separate from the dust-makers.

Anyone have such a setup? And whether you do or not ... comments?
    Larry
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Larry,

FWIW, David Marks, my new spiritual leader, has his assembly table and workbench right in among his main power tools. He's got a separate "finishing room".

JR
    JR

Comment

• BizCoach
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2004
      • Milford, CT.

My shop is shaped like a dumbell (no wisecracks) two "rooms" with a narrower section connecting them. I've got my power tools and dust collector on one side. My thought was to keep one side for that and the other for assembly. My assembly table is on wheels. If it weren't for that it would be a real pain to move everything back and forth. And sometimes it just makes sense to do one thing in the "other" room.

www.CEOBootCamp.com
      Tools to help you run your business better

Comment

• vinht
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • North Andover, MA, USA.

I favor the idea of a separate room for finishing/sharpening and, if I'm real lucky, a drafting table for drawing up projects. The other room would house power tools and workbench. As much as I enjoy using hand planes and chisels, they still offer plenty of shavings and some saw dust.

Vinh
        A Woodworker\'s Journey
        http://vinht.home.comcast.net

Comment

• don_hart
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Ledayrd, CT, USA.

I presently have a spray booth/large project finishing area in the attic of the shop and a small-medium project finishing are in a section of the basement. I find that this kind of setup is great. As I have mentioned in other posts when some of my projects move into the finishing stage I will usually start another project and be working on that while I am waiting for the finish to dry. Having a separate area means that I don't have to worry about sawdust getting on my wet finish. Also the finishing areas are alot smaller than the shop overall so when I need to heat them it is much easier and I don't have to heat the whole shop.

Don Hart

You live and learn. At any rate you live.

www.hartwoodcrafts.com

Comment

• HarmsWay
            • Nov 2003
            • Victoria, BC
            • BT3000

I can see the appeal of a separate finishing space for all the reasons people have listed. Not so sure about an assembly/finishing room combo. It seems like you'd still be limited in what you could do in it without having to always be tidying up.

Bob

Comment

• monte
              Forum Windbag
              • Dec 2002
              • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
              • GI 50-185M

If you can I'd definately go with a dedicated finishing room.
              Monte (another darksider)
              Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

quote:Originally posted by vinht

I favor the idea of a separate room for finishing/sharpening and, if I'm real lucky, a drafting table for drawing up projects. The other room would house power tools and workbench. As much as I enjoy using hand planes and chisels, they still offer plenty of shavings and some saw dust.

Vinh
                A drafting table top is normally unfinished (some like mylar matting). Needs to be in a clean/office type area.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Hoover
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • USA.

First off, you have to overcome 4 major hurdles here:
                  1 Time
                  2 Money
                  3 Space
                  4 Makes too much darn sense
                  If you can overcome these major hurdles, I say go for it!!!!
                  No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

assembly are should be with the woodworking tools.

Should have a dedicated finishing area.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2004
                      • Off The Back

Good comments, everyone.

I perhaps should have mentioned two things in my initial post:

1. No matter what, I will have a separate finishing room, and would like to have a small office as well.

2. I'm leaning heavily toward not having separate machine and assembly rooms, for the reasons myself and others have mentioned (more steps, more material movement, more space, more money). But I wanted to find out what everyone else thought.

My opinion is that separate machine and assembly rooms start making sense in shops with two or more woodworkers, especially if the shop is a commercial venture. But for a one-man hobbyist operation, even one that sells a few pieces here and there, I think it would be a luxury that would be hard to justify.
                      Larry

Comment

• Bob Crosley
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Valrico, Florida.

Larry,
                        I agree that separate areas make sense when you're sharing space with another woodworker and would like some piece and quiet while they're ripping 8/4 oak. Separate finishing makes good sense.

Personally, if I were building my dream shop, I'd have a small room only for hand tool work. Nice bench, wall mounted tool cabinets for planes, etc., wood floor (easier on dropped hand tools) No power tools aloud. Be kind of nice to work in an old style environment for your finer hand work.

Comment

• LarryG
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2004
                          • Off The Back

quote:Originally posted by Bob Crosley

wood floor (easier on dropped hand tools)
                          Despite the considerably higher cost, I intend to have a wood floor throughout. Dropped tools can be replaced. My feet and ankles cannot.

(Wood floors also provide a crawl space in which electrical and dust collection ducting can be run and, if necessary, easily rerouted. But the main reason I want a wood floor is because I'm tired of hobbling back to the house after eight or nine hours of standing on a concrete slab.)
                          Larry

Comment

• HarmsWay
                            • Nov 2003
                            • Victoria, BC
                            • BT3000

Well what ever you end up with it sounds like it will be a great place to work, Larry.

Bob

Comment

Working...