• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Cheap DC addons for tools without DC

The miter saw throws far more junk out the back than what goes into the tiny DC port (1.5" inner diameter). So I built this contraption which catches nearly everything, even at miter settings. Parts were scrap MDF, hardboard, couple of L brackets, and the 4" port from the Harbor Freight dust collection kit.

The sander was another mess, with no DC provisions at all. Enter this heater exhaust fitting I had laying around, a couple of wood blocks, an L bracket, and some glue. It is VERY effective.

The BT3100 dust collection isn't great; it drops a lot of junk out the bottom. So I put in a piece of hardboard with the large hood from the HF kit attached to it. A "y" fitting splits the 4" hose to this and the stock rear fitting. To catch the junk flying off the blade up top, I glued a shop vac floor nozzle to the top of the stock blade guard.

To connect all those overhead fittings, I made a splitter box from MDF scraps and 2.5" nozzles. It's not very aerodynamic, but since we're going from 4" to 2.5", it doesn't seem to have any effect. A 2.5" hose off a fitting right on the DC seems to have the same suction as the hoses off this thing. I used stretched picture wire to hold hoses near the ceiling if I wanted to allow the hoses to move around (IE, for the TS guard). For those that I want to stay in place, I just used U hooks.

For the HF jointer, I simply attached the large hood from the DC kit to the side. Unfortunately there's still a lot of fly-off from the top, so I'm going to attache one of the 2.5" nozzles to the guard and see if that catches it.

For the router mounted in the BT3100 table, I used 1" flex conduit to gather the dust from below. Top collection is via a 2.5" hose attached to the BT3100 router kit guard tube.

Work still to be done includes the drill press and the top of the jointer.
  • lrogers
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Mobile, AL. USA.
    • BT3000

Cool ideas Carlos. I tried something similar witn my CMS, but wasn't impressed with the results. Granted, I had it sized for the 2 1/2" shop vac hose. Re-plumbing it to 4" is on my list.
    Larry R. Rogers
    The Samurai Wood Butcher
    http://splash54.multiply.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• monte
      Forum Windbag
      • Dec 2002
      • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
      • GI 50-185M

Looks like you been busy Carlos. All good ideas too!
      Monte (another darksider)
      Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Thanks. I've been busier setting up the shop than actually making things, but I'm to the point with a couple projects where if I don't get the shop space done up right, it's going to be much harder to do work. It's a tough decision, but in the end, it makes a lot more sense.

Comment

• silverfox
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Richland Center WI, USA.
          • BT3100

Sure would like to see this page...all red X's here.....Carlos...could you please post the miter saw solution singularly here? Maybe that will allow my confused puter to bring them up without all the others. Thanks.
          Mike

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Same here on the red Xs, Mike, so it's not just you.
            Larry

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Fixed.

Comment

• jstevens
                Established Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Ardmore, PA, USA.

Carlos, thanks for the ideas. How well does the shop vac floor nozzle do when glued to the stock blade guard? What kind of adhesive did you use?

Regards,

John

Comment

• silverfox
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • Richland Center WI, USA.
                  • BT3100

Thanks! for fixing that, Carlos. Got the pix now!
                  Mike

Comment

• Carlos
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

quote:How well does the shop vac floor nozzle do when glued to the stock blade guard?
                    Better than I expected. I drilled a bunch of large holes in the top of the guard of course, then used a hot glue gun to attach the nozzle.

I still get the blade shooting some stuff out the front at me with some cuts in some wood (other times nothing comes out). I may glue a piece of plastic in the front to stop that, or may just break down and buy a Shark.

Comment

Working...