• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by dewi1219
    That rolling cart / storage shelf combo from Shopnotes is already on the to do list. But I have way more junk in addition that I need the cabinets for...
    Nice to see somebody recognized stuff I get in my inbox! That cart idea that Alex Franke did, with the slide out panels that you can clamp down to a bench, is reall a nice idea! I totally know what you mean by more tools than storage space...

What about a 2x4 / plywood workbench with storage space underneath?

Mine is plenty unfancy, I screwed up on the leg length (I need to cut and install new legs so that the whole bench is taller!). I get lots of storage under there. I know it doesn't hide stuff away, but it does make tools easy to get to!

The ply is 3/4" B/C SYP from Home Depot ($15.00 back in 2002), the 2x4s are stud grade SYP, I used a total of 8 ($1.69 each these days). The corner connectors are Simpson Strong Tie and at $2.89 each back in 2002, for 8 of them, those were the expensive parts... All told the bench ran me less than $60.00. It has taken a heck of a beating over the years!

I think they were Poplar cabs, at the Lowes in Baybrook TX... (South side of Houston). No idea if every store has them... They are in the kitchen area, kind of hidden against the back wall.
    Last edited by dbhost; 08-01-2008, 12:32 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dewi1219
      Established Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Birmingham, AL

Originally posted by dbhost
      What about a 2x4 / plywood workbench with storage space underneath?
      I have one of those and the storage shelf, pegboard on back, and shelf on top are all completely full. As soon as the new cabinets are in place I think it's going to become my new turning bench.

However, I hit the jackpot today. I went by the H4H store, and they had some decent deals, but the used cabinets they had were pretty beaten up. Our house is only 2 years old and in fairly decent shape so I know SWMBO would never go for anything too trashed, mismatched, etc., even in the garage. But then I left and went to the other salvage store down the road, the one that I said never had any good deals. As it turns out, they just had a huge bankruptcy buyout of knockdown bathroom vanities. They have 3-drawer units in 12", 15", or 18" widths for $18 each! 24" door units for $39, 42" door units for $59, and double door/3-drawer combo units for $69. All are available in white, maple, or oak finishes too. They're definitely not top of the line (no dovetail joints to be found ) but they're perfect for what I was looking for. I think I will even buy some of the door units to cut down and use as wall cabinets. It will still be way faster and cheaper than building them myself. I figure I can do the whole wall of cabinets for under $300.
      Last edited by dewi1219; 08-01-2008, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Working...