Clear All
  • shoottx
    Veteran Member
    • May 2008
    • Plano, Texas
    • BT3000

Router Table

My new Router Table

Here is the first dry fit assembly of my new router table. I had a Woodhaven top with four legs, a sheet of solid core plywood, and the rough cut red and white oak boards pictured. The table has two folding wings, one red oak and one white oak. The original top is 32” long with the router offset to the left. The new design makes the top 40” with the wing down and 80” with the wings up. One wing will accommodate the Jointech guide I have had but not used.

The carcass will be on locking casters and set up with the router enclosed for dust collection, storage for additional routers and bases underneath and a series of drawers for bits, storage and junk on the right side.
    Attached Files
    Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Good start. I don't recall seeing a router table with built in wings. Good idea but you might consider a support leg on them so the table can't tilt as heavier stock is moved across it.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• jhart
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Good looking start. Be sure to post finished pics.
      Joe
      "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Duff
        Established Member
        • Apr 2007
        • San Antonio, TX
        • Enco 12" RT

custom designed by yourself or something you found/bought for plans? Looks good.
        Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.

Comment

• shoottx
          Veteran Member
          • May 2008
          • Plano, Texas
          • BT3000

Originally posted by Duff
          custom designed by yourself or something you found/bought for plans? Looks good.

It was my own design. I browsed the internet for some ideas, and the started with a proto type to se if it would work.

Mike

Comment

• shoottx
            Veteran Member
            • May 2008
            • Plano, Texas
            • BT3000

Originally posted by Pappy
            Good start. I don't recall seeing a router table with built in wings. Good idea but you might consider a support leg on them so the table can't tilt as heavier stock is moved across it.
            Witht he weight of the table and wings, and the cabinet full of junk I don't believe the cabinet will be too tippy. Because of the height from the ground to the base of the wing, I could not get a study support leg incorporated into the design. What is possible is to clamp a support leg onto the wings if that is necessary.

Thanks for the comments!

Mike

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Detachable was what I was thinking. Add a box/frame on the underside of the wings to hold the top of the legs in place. Maybe a simple bracket on the back to store them.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Interesting. I hope you post it up in Finished projects, and keep us posted on how well, or not it works...

I personally started on one of those Bobsplans Ultimate Workbenches with a built in router table. That got as far as getting the MDF, and the plywood, and making some layout lines, and then the honey do list hits...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Looks like you are well underway - good job make sure we get to see it finished. Thats going to be one monster router table. What made you create an 80" surface, do you have plans that will require this?
                  Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

Comment

• shoottx
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2008
                    • Plano, Texas
                    • BT3000

I don’t have a project that requires an 80"table, so here is how the design evolved. Way back when, or as the fairy tales start, “Once upon a time” at a Woodworking show I saw the neatest gadget that I just had to have a Jointech IPM machine.

I bought it. And of course I bought the biggest model, 24”long version (40” when fully extended). Next I purchased a 24” by 32” Woodhaven Router Table with the router hole offset to the left to accommodate the IPM machine. I also purchased a set of Woodhaven legs

The table would not work with the IPM and having the router hole offset to the left provided little support on the out feed side of the router. So rather than doing the smart thing and scraping everything and starting over, I started with a plan to add storage space under the table and add enough surface area to use the IPM.

The little addition turned into scraping the legs and building a cabinet, by adding the first wing, I can install the IPM and use it. The second wing extends the router out feed from 8” to 32” of support.

The whole project has turned into a great design challenge, using stuff I already have allowing me to use stuff that has been banging around the shop and adding storage for some of the other junk. It may not be the smartest project but is sure fun!
                    Attached Files

Mike

Comment

Working...