Shop daydreams... what would you change?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

My dream is simple - to not have my shop under my daughter's bedroom. That way I can work in it at night.

Other than that I'd have a raised floor with space to run dust collection, power cords, etc underneath. Removeable panels so I could configure it as I need to.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Okay I have time to deal with this now...

New home with land to start with... On this land I would build...

36x60 2 story gambrel roof barn. 24x30 section on first floor dedicated to wood shop only. 24x10 section on first floor dedicated to finishing room. Other areas on first floor broken up into auto shop space, full bathroom, mechanical, and storage. Electrical run through the floor slab at build time. Minimum 10ft ceiling. Fully insulated heated and cooled.

Tools and equipment would be (and mind you this is MY dream, my tastes) still based on what I feel will give me the most bang for my buck...

Air system. Most likely an Ingersoll Rand 80 gallon upright plumbed to all shop spaces, 50 foot Goodyear 3/8" hoses on retractable reels.

Since this is a woodworking forum, I will only discuss the woodworking related gear...

Table Saw. Craftsman 21829. I know there are advantages to higher end saws and cast iron tables. But I don't personally feel they outweigh the advantages the BT / Cman 21829 offer. Except maybe the SawStop... I would make sure the whole accessory setup was there with the router table, fence, clamps, miter tables (2), extension rails, legs, dado and zero clearance throat plates, and tables etc...

Freud SD208 Stack Dado.

Dust Collection would still be done by my vac setup. If this ends up insufficient for that space, I would THEN go to a bigger setup, but for now, set it up with an accoustic baffle box that vents well, and wire it in with a remote control...

Routers. Keep my current Ryobi fixed base router, attach it to the router table on the 21829, keep my current Firestorm Plunge router. They both work extremely well...

Miter Saw. I like my Firestorm, but I want a dual compound slider....I would go with a Ridgid MS1290LZ1 12" Sliding Dual Compound Miter Saw.

Jointer. Ridgid JP0610 6" jointer. Had considered a bigger jointer, but never seem to need bigger... So why bother?

Band Saw. Ridgid BS1400. Yeah I know the Grizz GO555X is more saw with the fancy resaw fence. I have a friend that has the lifetime service agreement on one of these saws, and he is doing with it what I want to do with mine. Has a 6" riser block kit installed, and uses it to make lumber from cut off oak, pecan, and mesquite limbs... Not to mention the more typical band saw work such as cutting along the dotted line as it were. Other guys can spend more money, but this saw will do the job for me!

Drill Press. Ridgid DP 1550. An excellent drill press, with the Ridgid Lifetime deal... And convenient to get locally... Are you guys noticing a trend here? I DON'T want to ship big tools. My local HD will deliver and even set up for a fee cheaper than just getting something like Grizzly to my door...

Drill. I am keeping my Ryobi D46CK. I like it, a LOT...

Circular Saw. Keeping my old Skil Saw. It works great, no need to upgrade.

Jig Saw. Ridgid 3121 Orbital. I have a Skil Jig Saw that actually works fairly well, but it is old, and needs to be replaced...

Bench Grinder. Delta GR2775 variable speed bench grinder.

Lathe. PSI Turncrafter Pro VS with bed extension.

Biscuit Joiner. Keep my Ryobi, it works great!

Mortiser. Not sure yet, but leaning toward the Shop Fox...

I have a BUNCH more, but am pulling a brain blank now... I figure that would get me going really well...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• kirkroy
        Established Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Brunswick, MD

Rather than say what my dream shop WOULD have right now I can only dream of what it WOULDN'T have. My dream shop would not contain toys or gardening implements, lawnmower, camping equipment, motorcycles, non woodworking tools, etc... Until I get there can't dream a real dream...

Comment

Working...