X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoFish104
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2003

Did it my way

Just over a yr ago I was informed I had to curtail my powertools till I got a shed. Can't blame the neighbors when I think about it. So shared an 8'X10' w/ a freezer, Christmas tree ect. last winter. Had to have your feet pointed the right direction when you went in (really!)if the BT3 was in there. Started collecting material last winter w/ the goal of having a work/play shop by elk season. Well last week was elk camp. Shop is maybe 80% complete. 10X12 w/ walls of solid wood 6" thick. Door weighs maybe 250#, closes w/ a solid thunk. I started w/ used crossarms from elec. poles. Some of these are old growth Douglas Fir harvested 80+ yrs ago. Their 3 1/2"X4 1/2" by 8 or 10', used 60 penny ring shank nails to nail em together. A bunch of 60's. Then covered them w/ the slats from wire reels. Their 1X6X32 & milled to from a 28" circle. I have 2 layers run verticle & will run a horz. layer like lap siding before I'm done. For a roof I aquired 4 12' aluminum I beams. Layed 4X8 sheets of foam insulation between the beams & started filling up the rest of the space w/ a "high density 2 part polyurerathane foam" comes in 3gl. kits & theres usually a quart or so left after it gets used. That quart makes just over gl. of foam. Turns your skin purple just like gorrila glue. DAMHIKT My door is a torsion box of 5/8 particle board w/ 2x2" apatong crosspieces. Then covered the outside w/ 1/2X2X 8 to 16" pieces of apatong. They make certain crossarms out of apatong. Oh did I mention I work for the power co. lol I wanted a door that someone w/ evil interest in my tools would look at & just turn away & walk. For the door frame I used 2x6" apatong (full 8/4) legs & the neck is a 4x4 ash, came on a pallet under a transformer. My main goals when I started was to be able to go out & run my tools day or night & not bother anyone. Neighbor asked my if I had quit woodworkng the other day. So guess that part was succesful. Other part was not to spend more then $500. So far I've spent $360 mostly nails & screws. If I don't paint it I think I can finish under budget. Heck if I flirt w/ that blonde electrician a little might be able to paint it to. Jack
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Sounds like your shop will be safe from bears and all other types of vermin! Didja get yer elk?
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• GoFish104
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2003

My wife calls it a bomb shelter. And yes there was an elk w/ my tag hanging the 1st day. Jack

Comment

Working...