• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Playpen Revisions

Due to some minor financial setbacks it is going top be at least this Fall before I can afford to pour the slab for the new building. With that in mind I needed to clear the floor by tearing out the existing shelves and building cabinets along 2 walls.

The bad news is that working around carrying mail and the Texas HEAT (Had a cool spell Friday and Saturday to usher in Summer - only got to the mid and high 90's each day!) everything except required yard work has been on hold for several weeks.

On the plus side, it is forcing me to "clean house". I have gone thru everything except the cut offs and eliminated a bunch of junk. Hopefully I will get the wood gone thru today and solve the rest of the storage problems. Still need to work on a place for jigs and a few tools that stay in their cases.

Old shelving...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pappys Playpen.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	792523

Name:	Small tool storage.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	792524

New storage/cabinets...

Name:	Right Wall.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	792525

Name:	Back Wall.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	792527

Name:	Inside Wall Storage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	792526

Hopefully I will get all the pictures into a Webshots album later today and can post a link for those interested.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • bfrikken
    • Apr 2005
    • Michigan, USA.
    • BT-3100

I've found that putting things on hold, especially bigger proejcts, allows me to take a look at my current state of things. Right now My shed/garage is on hold, and I've been going through and reorganizing and doing some smaller projects.

Nice cabinets!

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Looks good, Don. It's nice use of space. I just gotta ask a question. Is that a miter saw on top of one of those cabinets? If so, it's way more than I'd want to lug down every time I wanted to use it.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

You're definitely jammed up, but organized. I usually get into the monumental clean-up when I can't find something and things wind up in a miscellaneous pile.

I'm with ya on the heat thing. It's been in the 90's here and it gets to ya before you know it. I usually take "cool" breaks and down the water.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I can't see one inch of that "play-pen that was not utilized wisely, Pappy. And quite frankly.. it looks awful cozy inside. Let the world turn outside the doors.. but inside those four walls there is no outside inter-ference.

Excellent job of using what you have to the max...

Regards...

Comment

• ccourt
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2003
            • SC, USA.

Atually you have a great shop and have done a spectacular job with storage. I bui;t a 12'x16' 4 years a ago, and too small.
            Clancy

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Pappy,

You have used such a small space with such wisdom it is amazing! While I plan on putting in a shed, I am not going to be using it for the shop, but rather to get storage and gardening tools out of my shop.

I too keep my miter saw up high. Mostly because that is the ONLY space I have for it... Getting it up and down isn't so bad... I can imagine worse...

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted on the new playpen. If you can do so much with so little, I am eager to see what you can do with more space...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jhart
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

I think you need a few more clamps. They haven't covered the roof yet. Looks a lot more organized than mine right now.
                Joe
                "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Thanks for the comments.

Ed, the SCMC doesn't get used a lot so it's not that bad.

C-Man, I go thru a lot of Gatorade powder this time of year.

Joe, are you trying to be funny here? "CLAMP" and "PLANE" are considered 4-letter words in my house. And thanks for reminding me. I need to see if those Jorgy bar clamps on craigslist have come down any more!

Now if I can only find someplace to tuck the '50's era DeWalt 9" Radial Arm that I'm looking at...
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Just got the album together. Hope you like it and maybe find an idea or 2 that will be helpful in your own shop.

There are still a few more pictures that I want to take and add later.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Just a bit of perspective for those non Texans reading this as to what Pappy is talking about weather wise. Today's high in San Marcos is 100 f with 33% humidity.

And for Pappy's perspective. Here on the Texas Coast in League City, our high today will be 95, with 75% humidity...

I would GLADLY gain 5 degrees F, for such a major drop in humidity!
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

Looks like we have a similar setup. 'Cept my storage is on the left and my plans board is on the right door.

You need to get yourself some shade! I got that 10x10 awning from Walmart for $100. I had to add some leg extensions so it would clear the door, and give some more headroom underneath. The piece of painters canvas keeps the later afternoon sun from killing me.
                        Attached Files
                        Erik

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Pappy
                          Just got the album together. Hope you like it and maybe find an idea or 2 that will be helpful in your own shop.

There are still a few more pictures that I want to take and add later.
                          There's a bunch in there I plan to take clues from.

I really like that jack storage idea. I just tripped over my tire spyder and little jack last night in the garage. That would prevent a lot of future cussing.
                          Erik

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Pelligrini,

I think your shed, if nothing but by virtue of the Gambrel roof, is bigger than Pappy's. I am drawing up, scrapping, and redrawing plans for a shed to put my storage stuff out back so I can dedicate the garage to full time shop function...

If you look at Pappy's webshots album, he has a tubular frame, with some of that shade screen stuff you use on a greenhouse to give him shade... Not sure how well that works, but it has to be better than nothing. Pappy, can you clue us in?

I have 2 of those EZ-Up canopies that I got from Academy on sale I guess 2 years ago for $50.00 each. They are the 12x12 model, and I tend to spill my TS, CMS, etc... out into the drive to work. Gives me quality time chatting with the neighbors doing the same thing...

Comment

• kevincan
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • Central Illinois
                              • Craftsman 21829

Pappy,

Your shop may be small but you sure make the most of your space.

I like the cabinets you have with the pegboard on the doors. I have been playing around with different ideas for cabinets in one area and after looking at yours I had a Why didn't I think of that moment.

Kevin

Comment

Working...