• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnnyTest
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Joppa, Maryland.

Power Upgrade

I've been struggling with outlets in my work space. I only had 1 15amp duplex. It was impossible to run the lights, the saw and the vac. So I spent a good part of Saturday running 2 - 20amp lines to the garage. 1 dedicated to the BT3 and one for the router and vac. Job went smooth and I can't wait to do some sawing in the morning.
  • gmack5
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Sounds like you're on the right track, but if I were you, I'd run a 3rd 20 Amp circuit.
    You have one now for the BT3100 and one for the Shop Vac or DC.
    You need another one for the other stuff that you'll be running, like a Drill Press, Miter Saw, Planer, Jointer, or whatever.
    What ever you do, keep your lights on a seperate circuit for safety's sake. You might even consider adding additional lighting and painting the walls to give you better lighting.

Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
    Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
    George

Comment

• dkhoward
      • Dec 2003
      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
      • bt3000

My shop has 6 20 amp circuits and 30 amp 220 circuits (in a 16x2 shop). That puts a duplex outlet every 4 feet around the perimeter and one in the floor in the center of the shop. THe 220 outlets are every 6 feet on the perimeter and one in the floor also. Still not enough. I am about to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit to the DC system and a second 20amp circuit and add some additional duplex outlets up high along one side of the shop. Probably still won't be enough.
      Dennis K Howard
      www.geocities.com/dennishoward
      "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

For those planning for the future, in addition to what Johnny Test added, three more 20A lines for DC and for Air compressor and for Air conditioning would be handy if you plan to get serious.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JohnnyTest
          Established Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Joppa, Maryland.

Wow you guys really have some setups going on.
          George, that funny you said about the lights, that was the main reason I had to make a change, as every time the saw would start some of my lights would go out, not good. Now I can run the lights with no problems. I guess I could use another outlet in there, but you have to remember the shop is really small, like 10 x 6, so not many tools will be in there.

Comment

• tlusco
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2004

More power is always good, but many of us don't have that extensive of setups. Minimally, one 20A for the DC, 20A for all power tools, and a 15A (shared with adjoining spaces) for lighting. That should be enough (assuming all 115V tools) since you won't be running more than one tool at a time.

Comment

Working...