• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Cleaning old garage floor

I'm planning to paint my garage floor with the Behr one-part epoxy paint from Home Depot. They recommend using cleaning and etching solutions before putting down the primer. My garage floor is 40 years old, quite dirty, greasy, paint-stained, etc. in many places, and with a rather slick hard surface.

Like most houses in this area of California, we have no basement. Most folks here who do anything puttering around their house, have kids, or go camping end up using the garage for storing stuff other than their cars. So only about a third to a half of my 2-car garage will be available for a shop. And, right now, the remainder is piled deep with stuff, some on rolling bakers carts, others just in boxes on the floor.

I'm wondering whether to do the largely manual cleaning (i.e., wet floor, pour on cleaning solution, scrub with brush, rinse off with hose) recommended on the HD prep bottles, or to borrow or rent a pressure washer to handle it. My fear is that the pressure washer may splash all over the freshly painted walls or piles of stuff, unless I go to considerable effort to cover everything with plastic tarps. But, then, even using the garden hose to rinse the solution off the floor is likely to soak some stuff.

I noticed that one of the pressure washer makers has a $60 round floor cleaner accessory that floats just above the floor surface on jets of water, with rubber skirt on the perimeter keeping the water spray confined under the tool. Anyone used this thing? If so, how do you clean up the dirty water left behind?

Any suggestions, short of emptying the entire garage and covering walls with plastic, for doing this odious job?
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • JohnnyTest
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Joppa, Maryland.

Over the summer I decided on doing the garage floor. I used the Bear product as you mentioned. I only did the cleaning part, not the etching. Also the garage floor was only 6 months old, so pretty clean to start with.

The painting went well, and took nicely. However I have spots where the paint came off the floor from the car tires. From what I hear etching will prevent this from happening, as it helps the paint to adhear better.

I would advise the following. Powerwash the floor, then using the cleaner, clean the floor, then etch the floor, and finally paint the floor.

Your going to have a problem with only doing half, because of the water issues, however they will be issues either way you look at it.

Comment

• maxparot
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

First use a degreaser on the floor that should be rinseable with a garden hose. Next step is strip old paint and clean with a power washer. Last is to etch with muratic acid and rinse with the garden hose. Considering the need to use water at every stage I'd recommend putting up plastic sheets to protect the walls from the water and acid.
      Opinions are like gas;
      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Not the kind of project where you want to cut corners of skip steps.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• stewchi
          Established Member
          • Apr 2003
          • Chattanooga, TN.

Get the strongest power washer you can and be prepared to have soar arms the next day. I rented a 3500 PSI from HD to clean my 60+ year old patio. I worked great I then used an acid stain to color it, and a clear coat to give is a smooth gloss finish. This works really great, I think acid stain is the way to go as it reacts with the concrete and changes it’s color rather than putting a top layer of color on that can peel up or crack. If you do go the acid stain route do not acid etch the concrete first.

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

I think my floor is beyond help. It has several cracks and a couple of spots where the concrete has chipped out about a half inch deep. Every time I move something, I have to watch where the casters go

Maybe it's time to replace it, but every time I think of the cost/work/mess I back off.
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Jim Boyd
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
              • Delta Unisaw

You can always try sand blasting if you are worried about water damage. But they say sand gets everywhere.[)]
              Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• maxparot
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

quote:Originally posted by BobSch

I think my floor is beyond help. It has several cracks and a couple of spots where the concrete has chipped out about a half inch dreep. Every time I move something, I have to watch where the casters go

Maybe it's time to replace it, but every time I think of the cost/work/mess I back off.
                it may be possible to clean it fill the cracks and put a new floor on top of the old using wire mesh and 2" of new concrete
                Opinions are like gas;
                I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

Working...