• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Keenan
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • washington, dc, USA.

Copying a window molding

I have a window where part of the sash is rotted out and I'm going to try to make a replacement, I thought I'd lay out what I'm thinking and see if anyone has any pointers.

This is what the profile looks like:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	120
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	854513

It's about an inch and a quarter high and an inch and a half wide.

Here's the plan. Cut a piece of stock to size, then cut away one corner using the table saw:

Views:	117
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	854514

Then use a half inch straight router bit to cut the rest of the depth of that side:

Views:	115
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	854515

The little lip that remains is at a 14-degree angle, which is the same as a dovetail bit, so I can make that cut on the router table:

Views:	118
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	854516

Then I can cut out the straight part of the two other cuts with either the table saw or a straight bit on the router table. The big one is 1/8" and the small one is 1/16" so it's not a lot of wood:

Views:	118
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	854517

Then I just need to cut those two bevels. I could probably do it on a table saw, but I think a chamfer bit on the router table would be safer and more reliable.

How does that sound?

The next question is what kind of wood to use. A carpenter friend recommends Spanish cedar, which I can get locally in 6/4 and 8/4. I also talked to a window-maker who said they're using something called Accoya Wood for window frames now, which is a new treatment. Has anyone used that or even heard of it? It's a new treatment, guaranteed not to rot for 50 years. I don't even know if I can buy it locally.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

​​
    Attached Files
  • Answer selected by LCHIEN at 03-14-2023, 12:18 AM.
    Nick Keenan
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • washington, dc, USA.

I think I like that better. So I understand:
    Step 1:

Views:	119
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	854537

Step 2:

Views:	114
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	854538

Step 3:

Views:	110
ID:	854539

Step 4, with the dovetail bit:

Views:	105
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	854540

Step 5:

Views:	109
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	854541

Then chamfer those edges. I'll have to experiment, it might be easier to do the chamfer with the table saw blade between steps 1 and 2; i.e. before the slots are cut.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Looks doable. A lot of small cuts.
      How many feet you needing?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Nick Keenan
        Established Member
        • Apr 2004
        • washington, dc, USA.

I'm going to do the whole window, which is 48x24, so 12 feet total.

Comment

• Nick Keenan
          Established Member
          • Apr 2004
          • washington, dc, USA.

I also thought about doing it in two pieces and gluing them together.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            That is probably a smart idea. Less waste for one thing, for another, you don't lose all your work if you screw up and have to start over (voice of experience talking).
        • mpc
          • Feb 2005
          • Cypress, CA, USA.
          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

My concern is the 14 degree bevel cut. If you remove the bulk of the waste as you described prior to making the bevel cut you won't have a good surface to ride against a router table fence. The surface that will eventually get the two 45 degree bevels will have to ride the fence while the skinny leg, that will receive the 14 degree bevel, rides on the router table surface. That is a skinny "foot" to ride on. The fence will be away from the bit, by an inch or whatever the height of the molding is, with nothing surrounding the bit. It's not an impossible cut, just a little less than ideal. You have to balance the workpiece on the skinny foot while keeping it against the fence... and not letting it cock/tip/rotate on that skinny foot. It would be better if there was a second "skinny foot" to straddle the dovetail bit... i.e. don't cut away the big square waste area as step 1.

I think I'd rotate the workpiece 90 degrees counter-clockwise from how it is oriented in your pictures... and then use a table saw dado stack or a straight cutting bit in the router to make a channel in the workpiece; that channel is where the dovetail bit's center/shank will be. It will also be right at the peak of the dovetail in your picture. Before changing the router bit or dado stack, flip the workpiece upside-down and cut the channel at the top that receives one of the 45 degree bevels - one of the cuts you listed in your last step. The 1/8th inch cut if I understood correctly; you can make this wider to match your straight cutting router bit - cutting into the square waste area. You'll have the whole width of the workpiece against the tabletop for a good/wide (and safer) footprint. Then make the 1/16th cut with either the table saw or router. Next, swap in the dovetail bit and make that cut. The dovetail bit will still be "an island" on its own, an inch or whatever away from the fence... but the workpiece will still have a large footprint on the table and against the fence because most of that large square waste area will still be present.

Once the dovetail slot is made, then use the table saw to make a pair of cuts 90 degrees to each other to remove the big part of the waste; basically what you listed as your first step. You could use a dado stack to cut all the way down to the edge of the 14 degree bevel, doing what you described as your second step. And you could use a router bit too as you said; remove the bulk of the waste with 2 table saw cuts as you described, then use a shorter straight bit with a shank mounted bearing to make the final passes. The bearing would ride against the vertical surface cut by the table saw, just below the "channel" made earlier.

All that's left are the two 45 degree bevels which, because they are small cuts, will be easier to make while "balancing" the workpiece on its top. Or use a block plane or other hand plane to buzz the corners to a bevel.

mpc

Comment

• Nick Keenan
            Established Member
            • Apr 2004
            • washington, dc, USA.

I think I like that better. So I understand:
            Step 1:

Views:	119
ID:	854537

Step 2:

ID:	854538

Step 3:

Views:	110
ID:	854539

Step 4, with the dovetail bit:

Views:	105
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	854540

Step 5:

Views:	109
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	854541

Then chamfer those edges. I'll have to experiment, it might be easier to do the chamfer with the table saw blade between steps 1 and 2; i.e. before the slots are cut.

Comment

• mpc
              • Feb 2005
              • Cypress, CA, USA.
              • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Exactly. In step 2 you don't need to make the slot 1/8th inch wide either... let it slop over into the "L" shaped waste area. That way you can use the same dado blade/router bit setup as step 1; just adjust the cutting height as appropriate..
              Making the step 1 slot wider than the dovetail bit, as your drawings show, is a smart idea. Easier to control if its cutting only along 1 edge.

mpc

Comment

• Nick Keenan
                Established Member
                • Apr 2004
                • washington, dc, USA.

OK, now I'm thinking I can do it all on the table saw:

Cut one:

Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	854548

Cut two:

Views:	95
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	854549

Cut three:

Views:	97
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	854550

Cut four:

Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	854551
                Cut five:

Views:	100
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	854552

Cut six:

Views:	83
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	854553

Cut seven:

Views:	100
ID:	854554​​

Cuts eight and nine would be to clean out the rest, or maybe I'd use the router table for that.

Comment

• Nick Keenan
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2004
                  • washington, dc, USA.

Does anyone have a good method for making angle cuts like that reproducible? By which I mean changing the settings on the saw and then coming back to where it was. Both the depth and the distance from the fence need to be indexed. The blade angle is easy. I'm thinking of making a reference cut in a piece of scrap and then using that to align the fence and set the blade height, but I wonder if it's precise enough.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

A little design may be in order. The little bevel or trough is probably the reason the window rotted out because of puddling water.

Comment

• Nick Keenan
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2004
                      • washington, dc, USA.

Originally posted by capncarl
                      A little design may be in order. The little bevel or trough is probably the reason the window rotted out because of puddling water.
                      Perhaps. But it's a window that was installed in 1976. The other ones are fine, which is why I want to fix this one instead of replacing it. If my fix lasts 47 years I'm OK with that.

Comment

• Nick Keenan
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2004
                        • washington, dc, USA.

OK, I made my first prototype out of a piece of 2x4, using just the table saw. Original is on the left, copy on the right.

Name:	IMG_20230314_224537310.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	854560

I used the original to align the saw, then cut, then adjust. I found it typically took me two tries to get the saw dialed in. I started with eight pieces. Once I got it I cut them all and moved on to the next cut. If I spoiled a piece I'd use it for first cuts unless it was too spoiled to continue.

It's not exact but I think it's good enough to continue. Now I just need to buy some stock.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Looks good!
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...