uh, oh. Cub Scout Pinewood Derby time is coming. Again.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Originally posted by dbhost
    Hey LCHIEN my friend and his family are volunteering me to help out with the pinewood derby for their kids (Not scouts, but similar organization). Any tips for making the cars fast?
    The big things are wheels and weights

Get the weight as close to the maximum as you can, you are at the mercy of the "official weigh-in" scales s I make my cars exactly 4.995 to 5.000 oz with a couple of #6x1/2" wood screws in the bottom to back out if they go over, The PWD official blocks weigh about 3.5 ounces, the wheels and nails 0.5 oz. I usually cut away a lot of wood and put lead weights in the body so the COG is 1/2 inch in front of the rear axle - weight concentrated towards the back gives several advantages.

Wheels and nails: I follow the pack rules which usually call for using the kit nails as axles, and unmodified wheels (except for light sanding). I chuck them in a slow drill and use a file to take off any burrs under the head. I then use 220, 400, 1000 and 3000 grit sandpaper strips to polish the axle where the wheels ride. Check under a microscope -polished on left, unpolished on right.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	614.6 KB ID:	854007

The next thing is wheel alignment. I always use a drill press and a #44 drill bit. The back wheels go in .150" above the bottom of the car. I put in with a 2.5 degree angle from the vertical (SEE MY OTHER POSTS FOR THE JIG) so that the wheels have a slight camber but the tops of the wheels clear the body. The wheels will ride away from the body and and ride on the edge.
    The front wheels I use the 3-wheel technique the rt front wheel I drill the hole perpendicular to the body but .050" higher than the left and rear wheels so that it does not actually ride on the ground. It only provides steering correction with the guide rail.
    The left front wheel I drill the hole perpendicular to the body at the same height (.150") as the rears. But the magic is in the wheel prep. I slot the top of the head so its like a slotted screw head and can turn with a small screwdriver. Then I put it in a vise clamped just beyond where the wheel will be and put about a one degree bend in the nail using a small hammer, in line with the slot in the head. I do it by eyeball.
    This is your steering axle...If you put the bend up (slot vertical) then the wheel is nominally straight and cambered 1 degree. If you turn the screw head CW or CCW 90 degrees you can affect the steering up to 1 degree right or left respectively. The more you bend the nail the more sensitive it becomes and hard to adjust. SO a degree by eyeball I find works well, usually my adjustment is no more than 10-20 degrees of the nail head. Then adjust the completed car so it tracks as straight as possible and does not spend a lot of energy rubbing against the guide rail. I made a 8-ft dual section of track with two pieces of 1-3/4" door-stop as a guide for testing rolling friction and straightness. About 3" of inclination is good to test rolling friction. Having a control car and a test car helps in seeing improvements. When you make a meaningful improvement to the test car then do the same for the control so you can keep comparing future improvements.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	123
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	854022​​

Back of the car (this guy did it by bending axles, but I drill my holes at an angle...easier to control with my jig):
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Rober winning PW Derby car tips 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.4 KB ID:	854015
    Front:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Rober winning PW Derby car tips 7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.7 KB ID:	854016

You'll want to graphite dust the axles and wheel hubs well as a lubricant... and work it in really well.

The body being aero dynamic helps a lot... usually the winners seem to be thin 1/4" wedges with a lot of weight. My last car was 1/4" thick at the front and 3/8" at the back and drilled out. Wheels and nails weighted .5 oz, body weighed .7 Oz and the weights weighed 3.8 Oz!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1251149.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.2 KB ID:	854009

I always chuck the wheels up and go over them gently with 220 grit on the tread area and the inside rim to make sure there are no burrs.

Of course appearance and originality are usually awarded. Here's a portion of the entries into the pack this year, to see some of the variety.
    my grandson's is #25 and mine is 23 and 24 at the bottom​

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	854010

Finally remember its the kid's car. Show them some possible examples (google images, Pinewood derby car, or just google pinewood derby) shows a lot of examples. Googling how to make a fast PWD car gets a lot of results. But let them do the choice of design, let them cut the shape on the bandsaw, do the sanding and prep work and nail polishing, and painting. Explain to them the reasons why you do the things described above. The temptation to totally build the car yourself is why I enter a car in the family division...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-12-2023, 02:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Hey LCHIEN my friend and his family are volunteering me to help out with the pinewood derby for their kids (Not scouts, but similar organization). Any tips for making the cars fast?

Leave a comment:

• nicer20
    replied
    Heartiest Congratulations !!
    Super Grandson Super Grandpa !!!!

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Screen captures from the live stream: The finish
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Heat 20 photo of finish in 1st place.png Views:	0 Size:	678.3 KB ID:	853785
    Time results posted

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	851.8 KB ID:	853786

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Originally posted by twistsol
    The design award is well deserved. What was the time difference between first and second for speed?
    The awards were based on average time - best 5 of 6 runs.
    My grandson's car best 5 were 194 to 196 scale MPH, taking 7" car scaled to a 17+ foot average car.
    I think the very best all came out to within a MPH of 195 or 196.
    In terms of times the track was 42 feet long; my GS car ran 3.137 to 3.186 seconds. The winning cars ran 3.11 to 3.14 seconds best times. The timer had a resolution of .0001 second.

My 2 cars ran a disappointing 3.16 to 3.19 seconds.
    They told me I can't run 2 cars next year (even though I put on e under my daughters name, I think they knew). The holey one I only started on it at Noon Wednesday and finished by midnight... I wanted to try they theory of really light on the front end but it didn't seem to help any.

FWIW here are the official results for his age group

Views:	164
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	853788​​ So he missed 1st place by 5 milliseconds, that is 0.005 seconds.but he beat out third place by 5 milliseconds as well!

Here were the top winners in all ages groups times

Views:	165
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	853789
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-30-2023, 03:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Quite a field
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	853772
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	853773

I had to run against 29 adult/family cars. For some reason the parents of the kids with fast cars also had really fast cars.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	576.4 KB ID:	853774

Views:	125
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	853778
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	853775​​
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-29-2023, 02:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cwsmith
    replied
    Loring,

Congratulations on your grandson's efforts. I loved the popcorn idea, he is very clever and creative. Great looking entry!

CWS

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    The design award is well deserved. What was the time difference between first and second for speed?

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    The Grandson won a trophy for 2nd place in speed, and an award for design " The car that was most not like a car for his Blazing Popcorn"

The family competition was tough and I did not place an award.

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    commented on 's reply
    GREAT Looking race car and love the Popcorn! Waiting for the results!

• nicer20
    commented on 's reply
    Best of luck !!

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Race/competition is Saturday...
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-27-2023, 03:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Grandson's car: Blazing Popcorn

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1261158.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.6 KB ID:	853739 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1261156.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.0 KB ID:	853738 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1261160.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.2 KB ID:	853740

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	688.8 KB ID:	853741
    Click image for larger version  Name:	324480474_710285323936725_2972551414504224672_n.jpg Views:	14 Size:	110.6 KB ID:	853745
    Click image for larger version  Name:	325425095_6023463584395987_3785135752133731457_n.jpg Views:	14 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	853746
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-28-2023, 05:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied

Meet "Shanghai'd" and "Swiss Cheese".

It says Health wealth Love happiness Serenity and Harmony

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1251157.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.5 KB ID:	853723 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1251150.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.2 KB ID:	853724 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1261146.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.1 KB ID:	853725 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1261150.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.9 KB ID:	853726
    Entering these in the adult/family division.

Grandson's finished car? Sent him home and forget to take pic. Will get one.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-28-2023, 05:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    I wouldn't. Just start with what you want to use and if anyone asks where the wooden base is, say you hollowed it out completely and replaced it with whatever you used.

But Papier Mache is a additive process while woodworking is a subtractive process (remove everything that doesn't look like a car)

The last car started out with 3.9 oz block of wood cut down to .9 oz. and skeletonized to less than 0.7 oz, and added 3.8 oz of lead weights and 0.5 oz of wheels. Some people make recesses in the bottom of the car and pour molten lead in them.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-08-2023, 04:22 AM.
Working...