Truck shell camper cabinet. Design and build.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Truck shell camper cabinet. Design and build.

So, this is going to be a bit of a running thread, but here goes.

My truck shell camper build is almost ready to accelerate.

So the bed platform / cabinet is done, but needs to be redone. Mostly to get the platform tighter up against the sides of the truck bed.

The platform is basically a bead board and 2x2 box with a 1/2" hinged plywood deck. Unfortunately I did not get it tight enough to the bed sides. Will work on that a bit more as I believe I can eke out at least 2" inches to allow for aisle and the more important, electrical compartment.

I have 2 batteries that need to be housed. 9.5" wide x 9x5" high x 21" long.

I am planning on using 1/2" ply and will make the corners with 1/4" dowels and at the very bottom, and very top will have 45 degree corner braces glued in.

So this weekend, time to grab some plywood. Yay!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Are you concerned with the weight of 1/2” ply vrs much lighter weight 1/4”.
    I recall helping my father build a camper shell for his F100 Ford using 1x12 pine shelving. It was no higher than the cab,and had no inside walls, cabinets or beds but weighed so much it took half the neighborhood to lift it on and off.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I am absolutely watching weights. Not sure about your Dads 1x12 pine camper shell but my hi top fiberglass shell is only 170lbs. I am building in interior cabinets and going with 1/2" ply because it still has to be strong. Actually technically it is 15/32 so not really 1/2". IF I were THAT concerned with wieght though, I would use XPS rigid foam board and Poor Mans Fiberglass for the build. I thought about it but I seriously doubt I can make it durable enough.
Working...