The new benchtop drill press and a stand.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

The new benchtop drill press and a stand.

So as I mentioned I picked up a new built hard drill press from Amazon it was cheap head the throw I wanted was a bench top unit variable speed blah blah blah basically hit all the features I wanted and again I've been kicking myself in the butt ever since I missed picking up the Ryobi DP121L When home depot was clearancing them.

One thing I found about the built hard is that it is a bit taller than I expected so I have a couple of options.

If I want to go with a Flip-top stand I will have to make the stand taller than I wanted which would put the operational height of the drill press higher than I really want to put up with.

Another option with the Flip-top stand is to cut down the column by about 4" which after assembling this thing really should be a non issue. I guess I could have cut down the northern tool drill press and not spent any money but I was scared of roaming the warm gear for the left and lower of the table.

If I do that that means I will lose the storage cabinet that I have right now for the mortgaging machine that also doubles up as storage for all of my finishing supplies.

Another option is to build a proper rowing cabinet To mount this drill press on that will have drawers for all of my drawing accessories and my handheld power drills..

I am honestly not sure which would be the best route to go but I'm leaning somewhat heavily towards a rolling storage cabinet.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

This? It's based on the stand from my BT3100. The two shelves hold various DP tools including the mortising table.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1F255536-52BD-43A3-B547-D72FB76DC553.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	852910
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
      capncarl commented
      Editing a comment
      The angled sided stand looks good, but in a practical sense it would be of more use if it was straight sided like the other cabinets so it could accommodate wider drawers. It wouldn’t be much more room but probably enough in te drawers for a couple more drills or a couple of drill sets. Then you would have the flat top where you could pile all manner of clutter!

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      I am thinking more along the lines of the stand your planer is on, but shorter. WIth 2 open shelves and a drawer. The open shelves to keep the drills in their cases, the drawer for the drill bit sets, forstner bit sets, and the one corded drill I have that does not have a case of any kind... Never was a fan of angled leg stands. They splay out nicely for a wider more stable footprint, but kind of ruin storage opportunities in them...

• Jim Frye
      Jim Frye commented
      Editing a comment
      FWIW, the cabinets are constructed of cast off 2by pieces from home building on the street. Everything is joined with biscuits. Doors are pieces of scrap 3/4" plywood.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

So you probably seen the post about me installing the new switch for a shop light so I can actually see what I'm doing and I've started cleaning in there. I moved the drill press table from the old floor model to the new benchtop and discovered that the old cast iron table on the floor model the holes lineup with the mounting points on the drill press table which were a direct copy from the original grizzly that the hardware came from.

Well the benchtop girlpress the table itself is bigger but the slots in the table are much narrower which means that the mounting points just don't lineup unless I pivot the table about 45゚ and I don't really like that.

Well I don't really like the idea of moving the existing thread insert so I went ahead and ordered a new pack of 5 16 18 thread inserts and we'll be moving the mount points later this week.

The truck should be back in my hands soon so I should be able to start picking up things like sheet goods again. So the new cabinets should be getting started here probably not long after the New Year.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Jim Frye
      This? It's based on the stand from my BT3100. The two shelves hold various DP tools including the mortising table.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	1F255536-52BD-43A3-B547-D72FB76DC553.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	852910
      Jim.

While off topic from the OP, I can see two things great about your shop: 1. Color of stands, cabinets etc - White reflects light well and increases visibility around the room, 2. lights - great lights!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Jim Frye commented
        Editing a comment
        The shop lights are 17, 70 watt equivalent, daylight, LED screw in bulbs arranged in three rows the length of the shop. It was a cheap set up also. $78 for the boxes, bases, and bulbs. Total current draw is 170 watts. Not sure what the wire cost as a bunch of it was leftovers. The shop also has four 75 watt incandescent aimable floods for color matching and to provide raking light for finishing, but they weren't on in the picture. One of these days, I plan to paint the walls white also.

• Jim Frye
        Jim Frye commented
        Editing a comment
        SWMBO complains the shop looks like the Vegas strip, it's so bright.
    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Oh man. I need to go to HF tonight and pick up the remaining casters. They had swivel castors with locks, but only one of the non locking ones. Knowing my luck the ones I couldn't reach would be locked so I needed to grab non lockers. They should be in...

As can be seen in the other thread, I am working on trying to figure out the storage shed and get non workshop stuff out of the shop, then I can move on to DP stand. I figure just a rolling plywood box with simple drawers, and hangers for hte boxed drills...

I agree on the paint thing, I went with Green because I had it and got started on it that way. White definately helps the lighting out, although with all the LED tubes I have I don't really need more light.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Well, HF trip done. 2 sets of HF 3" clear Polyurethane casters. I keep going back to these. Love the way they roll and the locks work quite nicely. I am going out to the shop today to do more cleanup. Been making some calls and I think I found a one call type option. Contractor will remove the crepe myrtle, make sure it doesn't sprout back, level and compact the pad and install the shed. Honestly I can build the shed, it is prepping the lot for the shed that I am going to have issues with. Most notably flexibility issues. A LOT of stooping for that sort of work. Going to ask around the church see if someone there knows a contractor that can do that. Basically get rid of that little tree and prep the pad for the skid foundation including laying out the gravel, and setting the retainer for it. I have friends willing to help with throwing a roof on.

As soon as shed is up, painted, and stuff moved into it / shop cleaned I will begin with getting orphaned projects out of the shop. There are a bunch of outdoor rebuilds I just don't want to do that she wanted me to do. Rebuild a wooden cooler cart that wasn't worth saving but she liked the look kind of thing, and generally speaking whittle down the excess and get rid of space wasters. Then the cutoffs that are good for nothing but burn pile, will get moved to a large tote. I will go ahead and toss that stuff, mostly construction grade 2x cutoffs and splintery plywood cutoffs, will go into the campground fire pit that will NOT be cooked on... Just need to get rid of this stuff and might as well generate heat with it.

Then we get the lumber off the lumber rack wall, and rent the blow in insulation machine, and a couple bags, enough to fill that wall, and blow in insulation on that remaining wall. Then patch the wall, repaint, and then I can move onto the drill press cart.

I found that as wide as I made the DP table, if I build the cart to be as wide as the table, I can set up just a couple of open shelves for the storage boxes. I have a Ryobi 3/8 clutch corded drill in a case, and a Craftsman 3/8 corded drill in a case. Basically the Wood Magazine drill press cart but with 2 open shelves. And yes, use the HF casters...

One step at a time, and I need to step away now to dig into the cleaning of the shop...
        Last edited by dbhost; 11-19-2022, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

So it has been cold and rais it all day today it's not cold enough to want to have the heater on and it's not warm enough to be comfortable in the shop with the heater off it's just that right weird temperature maybe I'm just not in the mood but I got a lot done so most of the players are back where they belong all of the screwdrivers are Things like hammers that have been taken everywhere are hung backup and small parts and supplies are back Is where they belong. I think for now that's gonna have to be I'm just not motivated I'll get there it's just going slow.

I definitely need to work up a storage situation for the cordless tools now as the collection is growing I have got the Drill impact wrench sander and now the 10" chainsaw. Plus 2 chargers and a decent selection of batteries.

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

My chargers sit on a shelf on the pegboard wall (see the above picture). Batteries are kept in a bin on the shelving unit on the opposite wall of the shop. Cordless tools hang from hangers off of the beam above the pegboard. Of course no other tool maker did cordless tool hangers except Ryobi.
            Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

My cordless tool holder, I like to keep it simple.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PB201151.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.5 KB ID:	853000

Just a shelf sitting on some adjustable shelf brackets 16" (Stud width) apart. Spaced for C3 tools.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	14.6 KB ID:	853002
              Attached Files
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-20-2022, 12:07 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I still have the wall standards i used for the tool stacker. Probably temporarily rig a shelf...

Comment

Working...