Need is pressing, idea in the head, time to collect the stuff...M&T table.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Need is pressing, idea in the head, time to collect the stuff...M&T table.

I don't do much in the way of Mortise and Tenon joinery mostly out of hte extreme hassle I find cutting tenons to be. To be blunt I typically have to set up the table saw with the Dado stack, set the width I want, set the depth, make a test tenon on a scrap piece the right size and test, make my adjustments, test again, adjust, test, THEN I am ready for the mortiser.

The new Kreg bandsaw fence has me feeling a bit adventurous, and I mentioned in the What did you do today thread I am needing a small table for the 3D printer. Now I KNOW I could just do simple dowel joinery for all the stress this will endure, but I want a M&T project off of the bandsaw.

So I need to cobble together a design, but figure it this way, 20x24 table top out of 3/4" ply that gets banded. Not sure if I am going to solid wood band or veneer band the top. Probably solid wood so I can do a decoartive routed profile.

Base would be a basice box end table type, with top spreaders, and stretchers maybe 6" off the floor with a rabbet to receive a since 3/4" panel.

I am NOT planning on going high dollar for materials here, the ply I already have is white oak, and honestly I am thinking about just going to McCoys and sourcing up some kiln dried 2x4 stock. Cost more than Home Despot but I can at least get lumber that is straight and has a chance of staying that way...

This begs the ultimate dumb question...

Finish.

The room the stand / table will be going into is my studio / home office. I have an L shaped desk with a gray "oak" top and black steel frame, a white leather / black frame executive chair, and green screen green walls.

I am actually considering doing some serious sanding down to at least 320,, laying on a coat or two of primer and smoothing between coats and then spraying on a couple of coats of gloss white enamel.

I know it sounds dumb, but this room is not exactly the place for natural, or even stained finishes...
    Last edited by dbhost; 06-03-2022, 09:14 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Tenons are doable on the bandsaw. Do you have a mortiser?

Small projects are good for learning and practicing techniques. Joinery like M&T and finishing.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I do have a mortiser. An old Central Machinery mortiser I had gotten in trade for a curb find Delta miter saw I picked up, cleaned up, and threw a fresh blade on.... Long old story but yes, it is there... Just on the right of my miter saw cabinet
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Well progress so far is 0%. I still need to source up the 2x stock to work with. Yes I am going to do this out of construction grade lumber. Like I said McCoys sells kiln dried 2x stock so if the stuff is gonna twist it already has...

My design is REALLY straight forward, and yes admittedly a little wasteful of wood as I am planning on just planing down to 1" thick. Legs 2x2, stretchers 1x2, 2 tiers, 24x24 top....

To do first.

Home Replace the switch the workshop. I mashed it and now the lights flicker.
    Forum Go to McCoys and get the 2x stock. . Probably use a couple of 2x6s to get what I need out of it.

Once the table is done, I THEN get to set up the 3D printer and get after those miter fence ends... I've actually got at least 10 items slated to be printed. I think this thing will be very handy considering a lot of the older plastic parts for the BT are out of production and no longer available....
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Time no longe prressing. To insure I had it together and tested within the return period I put the machine together, it is a LOT smaller than the product description says. The product description must be talking about the packaging...

Anyway, it does need a side table but that should be pretty easy to do the build AFTER I get my offices rearranged so that both my beautiful bride and I can be working comfortably...
      Last edited by dbhost; 06-11-2022, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Though I like M&T joinery, I haven't used it for what I would call 'finished furniture'. I've used it to make knock-down benches for my radial arm saw and router table. The tenons I rough cut on my RAS and then finished on the router table. The motises I cut by hand with a mortise chisel. The first table I just used the mortise chisel, but afterwards I used the drill press and finished them with the chisel. Both tables are thru-mortises with longer tenons that I used wedges on to lock the legs tight. That way, I could take them apart which makes them easier to move. Below is a picture of my router table base.

CWS

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2259r.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	851238
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...