• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Just for comparison, the 4" ABS Branch Wye, vs a 5" branch wye for folks to get an idea of why I am doing 5"...

And I tidied up the dust collection hoses for the bandsaw...

Now mind you, when the 5" duct goes for the install, I am planning on running the main / branch wye right above where the saw connects / blast gate is, and oriented DOWN, so that will eliminate that 180 degree bend.

Likewise, I was wondering, and the reason I am posting. Is there any thin wall, smooth plastic pipe that I can use for the OE duct location? I am pretty sure I can use a 2.5" 90 to smoothe out the blade shroud connection, but the one just at the lower guide is a LOT of ribbed hose...
    Last edited by dbhost; 01-15-2022, 04:00 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

So now I am at serpentine belts, radiator hoses, oil filters, hose clamps etc... I need a small tote for automotive stuff.

At least all the charcoal is stowed in the Kingsford Kaddys... One for regular, one for Mesquite. If it wasn't so stinking windy to day would have been a perfect BBQ day.... Tomorrow is looking better for that. I need to do some grilling for pre cooks for next week...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Admittedly I am getting itchy to get the LED conversion finished. Yet the bulbs got sent in the MAIL. As in Amazon shipped them USPS!!!!

Okay I am going to CAREFULLY inspect the contents to insure the gorillas they hire haven't smashed the poor things to smithereens...

Comment

• capncarl
          capncarl commented
          Editing a comment
          I wish you luck with your shipment. The USPS must have a ball kicking and flailing the boxes of Tiny Trees and mushroom I ship. Sometimes 1 box out of 3 has broken trees in it… and I bubble wrap each item and armor the boxes by double boxing .
      • dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, unfortunately I can't chose shipping options through Amazon...

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

So here we go with the update. Where am I and where am I about to be?

Bandsaw.

What's done?
          #1. Roller bearing guides.
          #2. Dust port upgrades.
          #3. Wheel brush.
          #4. MLCS Safety Paddle Switch.
          #5. Harbor Freight Mobile Base.
          #6. Grizzly tension release mechanism.
          #7. Carter Cobra Coil

What's still pending to do?
          #1. Urethane tire installation. Once the bench is cleared, I am planning on putting the Coleman stove there to get the water hot and keep it that way to soften the tires... That was supposed to be todays project. Didn't happen.

Dust collector.

What's been done?
          #1. Replaced impeller with Wen 12" impeller. MUCH cheaper and same thing as the Rikon impeller.
          #2. Wynn 35A spun bond filter
          #3. Neutral Vane

What is pending to be done with it?
          #1. Swap in an MLCS 20 amp router / motor switch. I am sick and tired of reaching around to the back of the DC to turn it on and off... Not super high on the priorities list though. Honestly I need to order the switch, but I want to make sure it is a flat plug against the wall...
          #2. Finish upgrade from 4" ducts to 5". Budget pending. Partially done.

Benchtop tools.

Done.

#1. Removed the undersized mount board for the Dremel scroll saw, and created / installed the 18x24 mount board. Nothing fancy, but it works.
          #2. Modded my bench grinder mount board and created dedicated sharpening station.

Pending.

#1. Flip top stand for bench top jointer, and lunchbox planer. In progress. Need more casters.
          #2. Flip top stand for Rigid oscillating belt / spindle sander and scroll saw. In progress. Need more casters.

Shop storage cabinets

What is pending to do?
          #1. Finish building drawers for the miter saw cabinet, add doors. Need 1 sheet 3/4" cabinet grade ply.
          #2. Threw myself into a tizzy looking at how others have solved the dancing lathe / lathe tools storage problem. May likely go with just a smaller cabinet on the stand spreaders, and a ballast box at the base. Less material to futz with, simple construction, can get this done ASAP once I manage getting the materials.
          #3. Drill press mobile storage cabinet. The kind that straddles the foot and column of the drill press. Design more or less done. 2 drawers, with open storage shelf, and rear stowage cubbies. Another sheet of plywood needed. After a thorough investigation of some of the drawers from my SIL, I found a set of nice Cherry drawers, well Cherry faced at least. The joinery is simple nails and glue butt joints. Yay quality right? Anyway. I am thinking I can repurpose these for the drill press storage bench. Save some time, and reutilize otherwise waste material...
          #4. Build extension tables / fence with T track for stops for my miter saw station.

Compressed air.

#1. Install the compressed air piping system.
          #2. Relocate the hose reel to overhead between the overhead doors.
          #3. Locate outlets for compressed air at manifold by the workbench, AND at each side of the right side rollup door.

Lighting.

#1. Convert the shop lights to LEDs, Considered single ended but was not interested in keystone replacement. Wouldn't have been a huge deal, but specifically wanted a double ended installation so I don't have to worry about which direction thetubes are installed. This is pending as the bulbs have not arrived yet.

I got hoodwinked by my sister in law today who showed up unannounced while I was working in the shop. So what is my plan for the next few days?

#1. Work my tail off to finish cleaning the table saw, workbench, and miter saw bench. If it fits, stash anything not fnishes related into the mystery tote.
          #2. Inspect the arriving LED tubes. Assuming they are usable / undamaged, perform the upgrade to LED, move power to the G0572 to the overhead outlets.
          #3. Sort the WTF is it box by the camping gear.
          #4. Sort the mystery tote. At this point, Shop cleanup is DONE. Okay could probably use another sweeping but you get the idea...
          #5. Start and run both my 2 stroke, and 4 stroke generators. Better to have them verified when I don't need them than to not be able to start them when I do need them.

Shopping pending to complete projects.
          #1. 8 5' joints of 5" snap lock duct.
          #2. 8 5" adjustable elbows
          #3. 1 roll 1.89" x 60yd aluminum HVAC tape.
          #4 4 3" polyurethane casters. Debating if I want swivel casters to match the locking casters I have, or fixed but they won't match. This is for the flip top stands.
          #5. 48" smooth steel rod and friction caps / nuts whatever retainers for smooth rod for the flip top stands. Most likely go with 3/8" as this won't be a huge span, nor a heavy load..
          Last edited by dbhost; 01-16-2022, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

6 of 7 shop light fixtures upgraded to LED tubes. I am thinking of shooting video of the process for #7....

Comment

• capncarl
              capncarl commented
              Editing a comment
              I was in a nearby Habutat re-store today and noticed several cases of 4’ LED bulbs. Didn’t check the prices or type drive required. I know they won’t be in every store, just a source you might check.

• dbhost

dbhost
              commented
              Editing a comment
              Removing the one bad tube from the mix, leaves me with 5 spare. I need to figure out where to store them now. My kitchen fixture is equipped with Feit plug and play tubes, I am thinking once the ballasts go bad, I am going to convert that fixture as well. The fixture diffuser gives even the brightest daylight white bulbs a bit of an amber glow which is great in the kitchen..
          • dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Great news, and some not so great news.

The LED light conversion I have been wanting is done. Mad at myself for attempting the plug and play tubes from Wally World first. Should have gone ballast bypass to start with. And it is every bit as birght as the alleged beam UFOs use to do whatever they do when they shoot a beam of light out.

Okay that analogy stinks.

Seriously though, Every last bit of the shop is nice and bright, no worries about amputations due to low visibility.

And no more buzzing!

Now for the bad news.

When removing the last fixture I lost my hold of it and managed to drop the fixture bending up the end pretty bad. I did straighten it out and it works, but has one ugly corner now...

I'm gonna call it good and move on.

Oh, and only one tube was bad, and Amazon gave me a $10.00 credit for the bad unit.

I swept up as much of the busted glass from the dropped tubes as I could. Need to vacuum out there soon.

Got a roll of duct tape to plastic off the master vanity so I can finish sanding the walls. Hope I don't tear up another sander...

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

So here we go with the update. Where am I and where am I about to be?

Bandsaw.

What's done?
              #1. Roller bearing guides.
              #2. Dust port upgrades.
              #3. Wheel brush.
              #4. MLCS Safety Paddle Switch.
              #5. Harbor Freight Mobile Base.
              #6. Grizzly tension release mechanism.
              #7. Carter Cobra Coil

#1. Urethane tire installation. Once the bench is cleared, I am planning on putting the Coleman stove there to get the water hot and keep it that way to soften the tires... I keep finding reasons to do something else. Oops...

Dust collector.

What's been done?
              #1. Replaced impeller with Wen 12" impeller. MUCH cheaper and same thing as the Rikon impeller.
              #2. Wynn 35A spun bond filter
              #3. Neutral Vane
              #4. Swap in an MLCS 20 amp router / motor switch. Much easier to deal with now.

#1. Finish upgrade from 4" ducts to 5". Budget pending. Partially done. Got the branch wyes, and reducers. Going shopping on payday to get the rest of the materials.

Benchtop tools.

Done.

#1. Removed the undersized mount board for the Dremel scroll saw, and created / installed the 18x24 mount board. Nothing fancy, but it works.
              #2. Modded my bench grinder mount board and created dedicated sharpening station.
              #3. Flip top stand for bench top jointer and lunchbox planer. Done and done.

Pending.

#1. Flip top stand for Rigid oscillating belt / spindle sander and scroll saw. In progress. Need 2 more 2x4s, coming with this Fridays Home Depot trip.

Shop storage cabinets

What is pending to do?
              #1. Finish building drawers for the miter saw cabinet, add doors. Need 1 sheet 3/4" cabinet grade ply.
              #2. Threw myself into a tizzy looking at how others have solved the dancing lathe / lathe tools storage problem. May likely go with just a smaller cabinet on the stand spreaders, and a ballast box at the base. Less material to futz with, simple construction, can get this done ASAP once I manage getting the materials.
              #3. Drill press mobile storage cabinet. The kind that straddles the foot and column of the drill press. Design more or less done. 2 drawers, with open storage shelf, and rear stowage cubbies. Another sheet of plywood needed. After a thorough investigation of some of the drawers from my SIL, I found a set of nice Cherry drawers, well Cherry faced at least. The joinery is simple nails and glue butt joints. Yay quality right? Anyway. I am thinking I can repurpose these for the drill press storage bench. Save some time, and reutilize otherwise waste material...
              #4. Build extension tables / fence with T track for stops for my miter saw station. Honestly this is my more pressing update as I am finding the lack of an easy way to set up stops on this beyond about 18" is a problem.

Compressed air.

Done.

#1. Install the compressed air piping system.
              #2. Relocate the hose reel to overhead between the overhead doors.
              #3. Locate outlets for compressed air at manifold by the workbench, AND at each side of the right side rollup door.
              #4. Upsize the push to connect fittings, dump valves, and quick couplers to versions with 3/8" MPT to eliminate bushings / potential for leakage, AND allow for full flow. Done mostly with the exception of...

Pending.

#1. Outlet blocks need once delivered, the 1/4" MPT x 1/2" push to connect fitting on the one at the right side of the right door / outside wall corner, replaced with, and leak checked the 3/8" MPT x 1/2" push to connect fittings. Amazon is delivering, slowly. I found the one that got lost initially and succesfully modded it, so now I have 2 succesfully modded push to connect fittings making for a full 3/8" ait path to insure maximum airflow at least to the plug.

Lighting.

Done.

#1. Converted the shop lights to double endedLEDs

Cleanup.

Done.

#1. Workbench, table saw, etc... cleaned up, and unsorted stuff jammed in to the mystery tote.
              #2. Started and ran the 2 stroke, and 4 stroke generators. Need to get ethanol free gas for the generators Friday. I doubt we are going to have an issue like last year, but you never know... And my wife is twitchy about it.

Pending.

#3. Sort the WTF is it box by the camping gear.
              #4. Sort the mystery tote. At this point, Shop cleanup is DONE. Okay could probably use another sweeping but you get the idea...

Non shop projects.

Done.

#1. Candle stand. Curing in the living room as the shop has been too funky for stain to set in...
              #2. Sized baseboard trim for master bath repairs. Ready for paint and install. Going to paint it on the bench first, THEN touch up the nail holes after install.
              #3. Freshen up, makers mark, and urethane the cross clock for my wife, including back dating it to when I made it, 2009.
              Last edited by dbhost; 02-02-2022, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Bandsaw.

What's done?

You've seen this part by now. How about...

#1. Urethane tire installation. I just need to do it.

Dust collector.

What's been done?

#1. Finish upgrade from 4" ducts to 5". Order for ducting, and elbows done. branch wyes already here, now I just need to do the install once the delivery is done...

Benchtop tools.

Done.

Pending.

#1. Flip top stand for Rigid oscillating belt / spindle sander and scroll saw. In progress. I need 2 more 2x4s. It's too danged cold to go out today. Not gonna happen.

Shop storage cabinets

What is pending to do?
                #1. Finish building drawers for the miter saw cabinet, add doors. Need 1 sheet 3/4" cabinet grade ply. This is going on the back burner. I am making do pretty well with my existing organization.
                #2. Lathe tools storage cabinet. I am simply going to make a box to hold 2 drawers on the OE stand, and an enclosure at the bottom of the stand to hold ballast. I need plywood. Am considering using 1/2" instead of 3/4".
                #4. Build extension tables / fence with T track for stops for my miter saw station. Honestly this is my more pressing update as I am finding the lack of an easy way to set up stops on this beyond about 18" is a problem. Once the second flip top stand, air system full flow upgrade, and DC ducting is done this will be my next project for the shop.

Compressed air.

Done.

You've seen this part, how about...

Pending.

#1. Add one 3/8" MPT x 1/2" push to connect fitting to the second outlet block on the compressed air piping system, this will give me full 3/8" ID flow from the inlet of the filter / dryer / regulator assembly all the way to the high flow V style coupler. Remaining needed items coming by Wednesday night. Allegedly.

Lighting.

Done.

#1. Converted the shop lights to double endedLEDs

Cleanup.

Done.

Blah blah...

Pending.

#1. Sort the WTF is it box by the camping gear.
                #2. Sort the mystery tote. At this point, Shop cleanup is DONE. Okay could probably use another sweeping but you get the idea...
                #3. Sweep and vac up the floor. I have a pile of hand shavings from some unannounced projects on the floor currently.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Update. The drawers for the miter saw cabinet are done. I changed the design thought as the stuff that needed to be stored was bigger than what 6 shallow drawers would handle, but instead 2 shallow and 2 deep drawers holds it all admirably now.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

EDIT: Giving more detail.

So since November I have been busting my tail trying to get my shop in order, and finishing shop related projects that have sat on the back burner for far too long when life got in the way. The status of those projects is as follows.

Bandsaw.
                    Almost all desired mods done. G0555 tension release, cobra coil, riser block, safety switch / relocation, roller bearing blade guides. Mobile base. There are two items I want left for this bandsaw though

#2. Either Shop fox, or Kreg resaw fence. My Craftsman fence is ready to go to the metal recyclers it is that bad...

Dust collector.

Done. Wen impeller, Wynn filter, Neutral Vane, 5" mains to 4" drops, as close to machine as possible OR 4" when dust / air has to get pulled up.

#1. Finish the run to the miter saw bench. For now the port will stay the same and it will likely stay awful. Maybe adding the shop vac in the mix will help, maybe it won't. Long term I need to find a fix that works.

Benchtop tools.

Done. All tools on mount boards, jointer and planer have been combined into a flip plate for my first and quite rough flip top stand. The build for the second flip top stand is well under way, the sides are done, and I will likely be sizing the base plate and starting the flip board today... If I can manage to weasel the 1/2" PVC out from behind the sheet goods stack where I stuffed it and can't reach it. The grinder / sharpening station got built and is stand alone.

Shop storage cabinets

Obviously the clamshell cabinets I have had for years, and the workshop library cabinet. The french cleats on both of those need to be double checked, I am not sure but I think I am getting a gap.

Miter saw cabinet drawers were completed. I CAN if I want to, make doors, but I am not sure I want to. I might just stay put.

To do...
                    #1. Lathe tools storage cabinet. I am simply going to make a box to hold 2 drawers on the OE stand, and an enclosure at the bottom of the stand to hold ballast. I need plywood. Am considering using 1/2" instead of 3/4".
                    #2. Build extension tables / fence with T track for stops for my miter saw station. Honestly this is my more pressing update as I am finding the lack of an easy way to set up stops on this beyond about 18" is a problem.

Compressed air.

Done. I have completed the compressed air piping system including insuring all openings through the system from manifold to quick couplers is 3/8" ID High Flow rated stuff. Moved the overhead hose reel, and replaced the old cracking hose.

Lighting.

Done..I converted the shop lights to double ended LEDs. Unfortunately one of the fixtures fell while I was removing it and bent the end a bit. I tweaked the sheet metal to a close approximation of what it should be, but I would like a replacement. I can't buy a Lithonia 2 tube 48" flourescent nowadays to save my life... Looking to buy used, or get a donation / trash pickup.

Cleanup. This is mostly done, however...

Pending.

#1. Sweep and vac up all the sawdust created when the DC was disassembled. There is an awful lot of it.
                    #2. Sort the WTF is it box by the camping gear.
                    #3. Break down and put in recycling all the shipping materials / boxes that ended up in my shop.

There's the pics of the drawer project completion.
                    Last edited by dbhost; 02-17-2022, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

So new storage problem.

As mentioned yesterday / day before, My roler stand storage has been of interest. I have / had a pair of non folding tripod roller stands that just gobble up shop space. I will be gifting them to a fellow forum member on another forum that lives close to me shortly. I snagged a pair of Harbor Freight folding roller stands, and the legs aren't quite as wide as I had imagined. So between shelf standards hanging just won't work. I am thinking about how to basically hang a couple of big hooks from the ceiling. I can't spread a stud center wide so I am considering using some 2x4 cutoff to connect to the studs, and hang maybe 10" apart kind of in front of the dust collector. It would still be overhead, but high enough to not smash my skull into it, and far enough back that I wont be running lumber or projects into it... The hooks that used to hold the 10' ladder should do the trick, so now I need to get them out of the ceiling...

I tried turning the 1/2" PVC for the axle of the second stand today with no joy. I might end up saying to heck with it, and sectioning a couple of pieces of 2x6 to make my sandwich spacer, through drill the sections lined up for the axle hole and make sure it is all straight when the glue up is done.

Kind of a pain trying to insure I have an 18" long hole perfectly straight...

The transition to camper building is ongoing. Started playing with the foam, might just end up trying a PMF / Foam cabinet for the water heater.

But that is the subject for another thread.

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Keeping the thread up to date...

Bandsaw.
                        Almost all desired mods done.

#2. Either Shop fox, or Kreg resaw fence. My Craftsman fence is ready to go to the metal recyclers it is that bad...

Dust collector.

Done. Wen impeller, Wynn filter, Neutral Vane, 5" mains to 4" drops, as close to machine as possible OR 4" when dust / air has to get pulled up.

Benchtop tools.

Done.Jointer and planer on one flip top tool stand, and Rigid sander and scroll saw on second flip top tool stand. Bench grinder / sharpening jig on dedicated fixed stand.

Shop storage cabinets

Miter saw cabinet done. Decided to not go with doors but leave the open shelving open and easier to access.

To do...
                        #1. Lathe tools storage cabinet. I am simply going to make a box to hold 2 drawers on the OE stand, and an enclosure at the bottom of the stand to hold ballast. I need plywood. Am considering using 1/2" instead of 3/4".
                        #2. Build extension tables / fence with T track for stops for my miter saw station. Honestly this is my more pressing update as I am finding the lack of an easy way to set up stops on this beyond about 18" is a problem.

Compressed air.

Done. Full piping system, high flow upgrade, and hose reel hose replacement.

To do. Filter / manifold slow leak. Most likely O ring needs to be replaced..

Lighting.

Done..Double end powered LED light conversion.

Cleanup. This is mostly done, however...

Pending.

#1. Sweep and vac up all the sawdust created when the DC was disassembled. There is an awful lot of it.
                        #2. Sort the WTF is it box by the camping gear.
                        #3. Break down and put in recycling all the shipping materials / boxes that ended up in my shop.
                        #5. Finish removal of the 4" DWV floor run at the tool wall, This will allow me to get closer to the wall and clean up the stuff clogging up my space.
                        #6. Distribute the no longer used 4" DWV stuff to another woodoworker.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

So per my notification in the what did you do today thread, the spice drawer has been installed inder the table saw extension drawer. This leaves a question.

The drawer has old, like 1969 paint peeling off of it. I would like to strip it down and paint it hunter green to match my existing shop projects...

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=848844.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	848862
                          Last edited by dbhost; 03-04-2022, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

Today I resaw some true 2x4 pine barnwood and planed it to 3/4. During the planing a knot came out in the Dewalt 735 planer and I thought it had slung a rod! I pulled the cover off expecting to find the fan missing all of its blades, found no damage and put it back together and finished the job.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                              commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I think you meant to post this in the What Did You Do Todeay thread....
                          Working...