This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• capncarl
    replied
    I noticed that woodworkers supply has a bunch of different bits such as this on sale now,

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Originally posted by d_meister
    Just happened to be in the brand-spanking new Harbor Freight in San Diego (nice), and saw their version. They, too have hex drive:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/hinge-...-pc-61550.html
    $8.99 for the set of 3.

Incidentally, I change the bits to brad point or split point to reduce walking along the hard grain. I would guess that giving the bit a tap with a hammer might also help keeping the bit in center when starting.

In this review
    I have always had trouble mounting small hardware on small wood boxes, with the hasps and hinges always looking slightly off perfectly square. I'm talking

I noted I had some bad luck with some Imported ones from Amazon; I subsequently found the US made VIX by SE Vick Corp were a lot higher quality.

I do have an older set of large self centering bits from HF but with little or no use.

Leave a comment:

• atgcpaul
    replied
    Just happened to be in the brand-spanking new Harbor Freight in San Diego (nice)
    Holy cow! When I lived in SD 15 years ago, it was a real chore getting to HF in El Cajon (or was it La Mesa?) or Chula Vista from Clairemont Mesa. Now I'm seeing a whole bunch on their store finder in the area now.

Leave a comment:

• d_meister
    replied
    Just happened to be in the brand-spanking new Harbor Freight in San Diego (nice), and saw their version. They, too have hex drive:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/hinge-...-pc-61550.html
    $8.99 for the set of 3.

Incidentally, I change the bits to brad point or split point to reduce walking along the hard grain. I would guess that giving the bit a tap with a hammer might also help keeping the bit in center when starting.
    Last edited by d_meister; 09-22-2021, 11:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    I have the genuine Vix bits, but needed a portable set for a work toolbox. I bought the Rockler kit, and was pleased to see that the bits had the hex quick change feature:
    https://www.rockler.com/rockler-inst...centering-bits
    Actually the VIX are available with the hex drive, too, as an option.
    Well, I thought it was, but I can't find it. I guess its not.

OK here, you can get a set

but I don't see the individual bits for sale with hex shank on Amazon
    Although I do see S.E. Vick Tool Company Vix 5H and 7H with Hex shanks sold individually.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-20-2021, 10:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• d_meister
    replied
    I have the genuine Vix bits, but needed a portable set for a work toolbox. I bought the Rockler kit, and was pleased to see that the bits had the hex quick change feature:

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Hard to let go when the little bugger is staring you in the face clear as day.

Leave a comment:

• Black walnut
    replied
    I think your current solution is the best one. You might buy the replacement now though.I am far from expert in metallurgy but hex drivers are probably very hard, likely as hard as high speed steel. What I have done with broken taps is use a solid carbide end mill in a drill press. Correct speed and feed rate are critical. This method would likely cost more than the vix bit.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    I have a Dremel with a thin abrasive disc of about 1 to 1.25" diameter.
    But I cannot hold the dremel steady enough to cut a sharp screwdriver slot., even with the Vix in a small machining vice.
    I end up with a dished out slot that the screwdriver climbs out of.
    I'm thinking of a miter saw like device to run the dremel up and down preciesely with no side to side play but that is rapidly becoming too much work.

I've given up for now, the set screw is stuck in a usable way, I'll use the thing until it jams or breaks needing repositioning or replacement of the drill bit. and then buy a new one.

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied
    To save the tool I’d grind off the side of the tube of the Vix bit (with the broke off wrench head stuck in it) all the way down to the shaft. Then saw off the ground off tube and drill and tap a new hole for a new Allen screw. It will be about 1/2” shorter but maybe that will not matter. Lots of work to save a $10 tool though,

Leave a comment:

• mpc
    replied
    I've used the small (about 1 inch diameter) and very thin cutoff disks for Dremel style tools to make screwdriver slots when a fastener is stripped and stuck. It generally works well enough.
    For larger broke-off bolts (where the break leaves the bolt even with or below the surface) I'll build up weld blobs until there is enough to grab with vise-grip pliers. A quick zap with the Mig welder makes BB sized "extensions" to the bolt. Too bad that won't work for your situation.

Still have the busted Allen wrench? Can you grind the broken end into a screwdriver tip shape and then hammer that into the broken off piece - maybe it'll be hard enough to make a screwdriver slot? Grind it slowly and cool it frequently so you don't end up softening it...

mpc

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    yeah, spent more than an hour on it and everyone else's time, too haha.

• ballard770
    replied
    Perhaps the $15.50 route is the way to go. Been there, done that!

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    Already tried that. Both as an problem solving theory approach and a stress reliever.

• capncarl
    replied
    Try pounding the piece on a piece of wood and hope it will shake out….. beat it like you are mad at it….. because you are!

Leave a comment:

Working...