• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Source for small wood screws?

I've been trying to build a couple of small wood boxes and I have some latch and hasps and hinges but need some #2 and #3 wood screws for them. ( I wanted brass, flat head Phillips if I had a choice)
    Anyone know of a good place to get some?
    I tried Lowes, Home Depot, Ace and they have little or no choice.

I also tried some on-line bolt stores; Many had exactly what I wanted but sell in multiples of 100 and the shipping runs $7-8
    I found one Fastenere.com that had free shipping and no tax, I ordered a pack at $8 something for small screws... I don't know how long free shipping is.[PS, free shipping is USPS first class mail, so OK|
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-30-2021, 06:22 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Have you checked eBay? I have found several different screws and bolts like these that I can't find at the Borg.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, yeah. I see some with free shipping. For some reason I didn't check ebay.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Amazon is usually where I go to search, followed by McFeelys: https://www.mcfeelys.com/guide-to-woodworking-screws
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I checked McFeely's minimum shipping was $8 and they didn't have Phillips head, just slotted. Also they had no smaller than #3
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-30-2021, 06:18 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

It has been a few years, but I used to buy hardware and fasteners from Lee-Valley. (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop) As I recall their shipping was very reasonable, but it has been three or four years. I just looked up brass wood screws and the couple items I selected says they are no longer available, so it may well be that like most everyone else, they are adversly impacted by the pandemic. I can only hope that is temporary.

I just did a search on Amazon and got this: https://www.amazon.com/Wood-Screw-Ph...ustrial&sr=1-1

They are only 1/4 inch long (disregard the picture) and the qty is 100, but w/free shipping if you are an Amazon Prime member.

Also spotted this, which seems like a much better deal at $12.69 for a variety of sizes (1200 pieces in all). https://www.amazon.com/Tapping-Cabin...7PRQR38L&psc=1

Edit: I just noticed that the above "variety" pack say they are "gold colored", so they may only be plated.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Last edited by cwsmith; 08-30-2021, 11:45 AM.
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I think I have seen screws like this sold at Harbor Freight. I buy assortment boxes of screws, nuts, bolts, fuses, roll pins and misc hardware when I see them at the car swap meets. Some hardware stores that have their screws in large drawer units may have them this small.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	E897798C-ED9F-49A9-B216-181F3AF38256.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	845078

Comment

• nicer20
            nicer20 commented
            Editing a comment
            Are these any good? Any experience (good/bad/ok) with them? Have seen such assortment boxes at HF but never tried. Hence asking. Thanks.
        • LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Thanks capncarl, I was looking for #2 and #3 screws.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I usually buy from McFeeleys.com but they have the issue you've noted. #3 and #4 come in boxes of 100. On the plus side of buying by the box, I needed 6 5" lag screws this weekend and had them on hand in both stainless and galvanized with appropriate washers.
            Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a shelf with slots for boxes of nails, finish nails and deck screws
              All sizes from about 1-1/4" to 3" long in 1/2" increments so this is about 21 one-pound boxes of fasteners.
              And I have shoeboxes full of wood screws and machine screws of various sizes in small boxes. and plastic hang bags from projects. and another box of screw hooks
              And I have a plastic drawer bin with an assortment of machine screws.
              And finally a plastic drawer bin with 3-4 of each 1/4-20 hex bolt from 1/2" to 4 or 5 inches long ready stock for projects so I can fit it as I build. Plus washers, nuts, lock nuts, and wing nuts. 1/4-20 is my go to stock for jigs and fixtures... I have a small collection of various threaded knobs as well for jigs plus T-track.
              And lag screws, a small stock of 1/4+ lag screws and probably some carriage bolts, too.

I usually buy a box or a few spares when I go fastener shopping.

In my small hardware box with hinges and stuff, I found a 10 set of hasps I had for a long time that need a #2 or #3 screw (5 per set), but there were no screws came with them. Hence my current dilemma and trying to find some screws that don't break the bank. I thought $20 bucks was excessive although considering the investment in screws I already seem to have, its not much! I always like to have fasteners on hand so I don't have to go searching... nothing like holding up a project for lack of a screw.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• nicer20
                nicer20 commented
                Editing a comment
                You are probably better stocked than HD/Lowes ;-)

On a serious note what is your best way to store these. I have tried sorting the fasteners but given up. Still not able to have a "system" that is efficient enough.
            • woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Hobby shops also have small wood screws, they are used for building airplanes and other models.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Nicer20,here's where most of my fasteners are stored

Click image for larger version  Name:	P8310413.JPG Views:	0 Size:	78.0 KB ID:	845091 Click image for larger version  Name:	P8310412.JPG Views:	0 Size:	118.1 KB ID:	845092
                The "shelf" has regular nails, finish nails and deck screws in three columns, in the one-pound boxes they usually come in.
                Frankly I don't use the nails with hammer at all anymore. Mostly glue, and brad nails and pin nails from the Pneumatic nailers.
                Not pictured, a pile of those red top deli meat boxes to the bottom left with loose screws and loose nails for one-off use. Leftovers and orphans.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-31-2021, 04:57 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• nicer20
                  nicer20 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Loring !
              • capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

One of my oldest friends, a British sports car mechanic, stores all of his nuts and bolts in one gallon buckets, not sorted by size, type or anything! When he needs a fastner he just dumps out the bucket that he suspects the part may be in on the floor and stirs them around until he finds one! Then he shovels up the mess and dumps ir back in the Bucket. Not my favorite storage method.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

In 2008 I organized my fasteners and hardware to this system I designed. It lives behind a double closet door.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    LCHIEN commented
                    Editing a comment
                    are there supposed to be pictures?
                • capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

More fastners behind left side when it’s swung out

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

More fastners behind left side swing out.

Comment

Working...