• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCHIEN
    commented on 's reply
    Use what works best for you.

• leehljp
    replied
    Since I have a very good home made router table, I have a box finger set up for use with routers. I thought long an hard on which will produce the most repeatable and quickest set up for me.

The hard part for me on a table saw is the kerf width and setting that up with the right width of movement. ON my router table, I have set block sizes and set router bit sizes.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    Originally posted by nicer20

But aren't the dado blades supposed to produce a flat bottom? I have been planning to acquire a set someday hence asking.

NG
    It depends on the dado set you are using. A wobble or adjustable dado will give you a slightly rounded bottom. Some have sets have pointed shearing cutters on the outside edge that make for a clean cut at the edges of the dado but if you look at it from the end, you get what I call bat ears on each side of the bottom. If your chippers aren't perfectly aligned or machined precisely, you may get slight differences in depth. None of these significantly change the functionality of the joint, but all can affect the appearance. All of these issues can be resolved by cutting a little too shallow and cleaning up the bottom with a very sharp chisel.

For a drawer where the joint is unlikely to be examined up close none of these would matter. For a box or a chest where the joinery is on display, My opinion is that you you get a cleaner joint with a router.

[sarcasm on]Since the responses are two to one for a router, Loring is clearly wrong [/sarcasm off]

Leave a comment:

• nicer20
    replied
    Originally posted by twistsol
    I've done it both ways and prefer to use the router. I have a Freud 8" dado stack and the bottom of the dado is not nearly as smooth as with a router bit. Note that when using a router you need to back up the board being cut with a spoil board to prevent tearout on the backside of the cut.
    But aren't the dado blades supposed to produce a flat bottom? I have been planning to acquire a set someday hence asking.

NG

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    I prefer the table saw. I think TS dadoes make a cleaner cut.

Leave a comment:

• Black walnut
    replied
    I agree that a table mounted router is the better way.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    I've done it both ways and prefer to use the router. I have a Freud 8" dado stack and the bottom of the dado is not nearly as smooth as with a router bit. Note that when using a router you need to back up the board being cut with a spoil board to prevent tearout on the backside of the cut.

Leave a comment:

• ballard770
    started a topic Box (finger) joints - table saw or router

Box (finger) joints - table saw or router

I’m planning a project to make a small box with finger joints. I have a bt3000, dado blades and a router. I’m wondering which is the best way to go. I don’t have a box (finger ) joint blade. I’ve seen plans on YouTube for using table saw or a router and I’m unsure of the way I should go. I would probably use my stack dado blade on the table saw or a 3/8” bit on my router. Would using a dado blade create small ridges ar the bottom of the cut that would require cleaning up with a file?
Working...