• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Stationary bike stand

Way before woodworking, there was cycling. I had this long rambling backstory, but the short version... I was big into cycling after college before wife, house, and kids, and now that there's really no honey-do list and the kids are older, I've been back into it for the past 3 years. I'm more into touring/site-seeing than racing. This past summer I completed the GAP in 2 days and the C&O in 3.

When we moved here, I thought I'd be out on the bike a lot, but COVID has me staying away from the local group, and my work schedule is now more in sync with the East Coast so I can't sneak away in the mornings. The roads aren't bad, but you really need to get out with the group at 5:30am, to avoid the cars, and I just have no discipline for that.

I didn't want to lose all my fitness so I started riding on Zwift. So far this is my makeshift setup. It works but obviously it's not ideal because it's bulky, in the way, and sometimes I need that ladder for other things. I'm currently mulling over how to rejigger this to remove the ladder from the equation. The most important component is really that fan. Stay tuned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bike.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	843149
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Seems like two sawhorses can easily replace that ladder.
    I have these https://www.amazon.com/CORPORATION-8.../dp/B000VKWZX4
    and you can easily make 2x4 legs to any custom length (height) you need.
    Of course there are also hundreds of ways to make sawhorses. You don't really need more than fifty pounds load bearing here.
    Or for that matter a B&D Workmate will do the job and fold away.
    The ladder/2x4's solution you have seems to take up a huge amount of space for what it does.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
      atgcpaul commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I'm going to go for a Z-shaped desk design which seems pretty standard for this. I have enough scrap for that. Most have the keyboard slightly above the handlebars. I have to stretch out a bit more in my current setup which isn't getting any easier. However, the lower screen position is nice for my neck. Long rides out in the real world take a toll on your neck.
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

When I used to ride rollers in the winter (I commuted to work by bike during the warmer months), I used a box fan sitting on the floor aimed up towards me. The fan sat in a plywood rack so that it was tilted up towards me. I didn't have a computer to use, just a TV a short distance away on a table. Sorry, no pictures. Isn't your fan tiltable?
    Last edited by Jim Frye; 03-01-2021, 09:48 PM.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Jim Frye
      I used a box fan sitting on the floor aimed up towards me. The fan sat in a plywood rack so that it was tilted up towards me... Isn't your fan tiltable?
      Yes, good point. That's a placement I haven't tried yet--didn't have a long enough extension cord--and the fan does tilt. The laptop screen blocks a good chunk of wind now.

If you can believe it, one of these bike trainer manufacturers sells a $250 bluetooth enabled fan that sits down low and can adjust the airflow based on your speed. I say set it to full blast!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul

Yes, good point. That's a placement I haven't tried yet--didn't have a long enough extension cord--and the fan does tilt. The laptop screen blocks a good chunk of wind now.

If you can believe it, one of these bike trainer manufacturers sells a $250 bluetooth enabled fan that sits down low and can adjust the airflow based on your speed. I say set it to full blast!
        Isn't it harder to ride into a headwind? Put it behind you! Tailwind! :-)

While we're at it, why don't you put a slot to hold the front wheel, into your bar. Then you could ride while bellied up to the bar and sipping a margarita and watching Netflix!
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-03-2021, 12:32 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LCHIEN

I am actually thinking of adding more fans!

I relocated from the garage/shop to the back patio. I'd been doing my sessions in the late afternoon but it's still very warm. The mornings are cool but the rising sun cooks this corner until about 11am, but then I'm working. So today I rigged up this shade. I'm sure my wife is going to protest when she gets home.

Fortunately my neighbors can't see into my yard, but if they could, I'm sure they'd be wondering what the gringo was up to now.

Name:	PXL_20210303_130906219.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	843188

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by LCHIEN

Just raise the rear wheel a bit so you're always riding down hill.
            Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by twistsol

Just raise the rear wheel a bit so you're always riding down hill.
              They've thought of that, too!

That same company that sells the $250 fan also sells a $600 gadget that attaches to your bike's front fork which can raise your bike 20% or lower it 10% to match the virtual grade you're riding. Considering that a lot of people are attaching multi-$1000 bikes to these rigs, you're approaching some of our WWing tool costs.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

The ladder has been called into duty too many times so I used up some scraps to make the stand today

Name:	PXL_20210620_194156811~2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	844451

Comment

Working...