Mystery cut: How do you make this cut? (tilted Groove)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Mystery cut: How do you make this cut? (tilted Groove)

I was gifted this piece of wood which is intended as a holder for cell phones and touch pads, I presume. Evidently it was done en-masse and not a one-off, as it was a giveaway for a major credit card platinum edition.

How do you go about making this?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P2030216.JPG Views:	0 Size:	107.8 KB ID:	842670

I have wracked my brains and cannot imagine a single pass with a single cutter router-type bit or dado blade.

The slant is 15 degrees, the vertical depth 0.530" and the width horizontally is .6" and slanted edge to edge about .57"

My best guess takes at least three devices with multiple passes.
    A 15 degree dovetail for the right edge, a couple of passes with the sawblade to clean out the bottom groove (or a pass with a thin straight router bit) and a 15 degree conical router bit to do the left hand edge. But there's no grooving on the bottom that would indicate changing bits.

I can only imagine a custom Dado blade (standard dadoes have bottoms perpendicular to the walls) with the arbor tilted 15 degrees and the single 0.57" wide blade bottom having a cant of 15 degrees
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-03-2021, 03:25 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

OK, my attempt. But missing the back wall slant which is not necessary for use.

Dovetail bit followed by a few passes with a table saw blade. A little narrower so the device stands up a little straighter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2030217.JPG Views:	0 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	842673
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tablet holder.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	842783

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_26158.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	842674
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-07-2021, 12:42 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Dedpedal
      Established Member
      • Feb 2020
      • Palm Coast Florida
      • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

I made business card holders by simply putting the blade on an angle and making repeated cuts,moving the fence by about a 1/16 of an inch then cleaning up the bottom with a chisel.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually you are right, a tilted dado would work perfectly well, there's really no advantage to this cut. And I've made business card holders without even a tilted dado, just a straight slot.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-07-2021, 12:46 AM.
    • leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I can only see some kind of plane (hand plane) doing that, but probably automated.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Start with the dovetail bit as you did, then make a single pass with the blade tilted to the same angle to make the other side of the cut parallel to what the dovetail bit left. The edge of the blade should hit right at the spot where the 90 degree angle is in the bottom of the cutout area.

Alternatively tilt a dado stack of the proper with and clean up the bottom with the dovetail bit.
        Chr's

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

This looks like something I could cross-cut on my RAS, and then I'd take it to my router table with a dovetail bit to clean up the bottom, hopefully avoiding the inward-leaning side. If that wasn't possible (no bit, or wrong angle on dovetail bit), I'd just use a paring chisel.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

If it’s made in mass it is cut with an angle top dado blade. For your phone holder a tilted regular dado blade would cut with angles perpendicular to the sides and match the shape of the phone better than your first sample photo.
            Last edited by capncarl; 02-03-2021, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...