Short log storage question (not firewood)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Short log storage question (not firewood)

While I could have put this in the "turning" forum, it is more about storage of short logs.

I come across wood logs/limbs 6 inches to 18" in diameter regularly. Various kinds: Cedar,various oaks, pine, maple, pear and other fruit, and other assorted wood. If they are short enough, I put them in the trunk of my car. I sometimes carry my 18V 12" Ryobi chain saw and cut things down. I am not in a hurry to dry them so I "paint" (seal) the ends and just wait for them to air dry over 2, 3 or 4 years.

I have those 1 x 2 ft concreted construction blocks under some, and I have some on pallets. Most are standing upwards and some a laying down. I have about 25 pieces. Today, I went to cut a piece of silver maple that had been sealed and had no cracks. (Cut 18 months ago) Inside were wood worms. In that 8 inch diameter log, 2ft long and still fairly green inside, there were about 10 to 12 worms. Not totally destroyed, and plenty of fresh wood, but a few too many holes to make small short clear boards with.

I that I know people store wood for long periods of time. So my questions are:
    1. What should be done to prevent worms or bugs?
    2. What is the best way to store them? Vertical, horizontal, on bricks, or a treated 2x4 firewood (cord) like storage bin for a cord of wood?

I have watched a few videos of the old woodworkers who go out, choose a log on their lot, pick it up,(with a tractor or fork lift) take it inside and start cutting it to make a piece of furniture. So how do they just pick up an aged log that has no wormy holes in it?

This will be my next project.

Note on that chain saw mentioned above:
    I have used that 18V 12" chain saw more than I have any chain saw I have had, and I have had an electric, a Stihl 18 in. and one other 18 in. The Ryobi 18V gives me about 30 minutes of solid cutting time; it is compact and yet it is great for around the yard large limb pruning. I put it in my car often just for what ever I might see. Plus I already have seven 4Ah batteries.
    Last edited by leehljp; 02-01-2019, 06:57 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Lee, I am storing my logs on a log storage rack purchased from Norther Tool that consists of 2 brackets that you use your 2x4s for bottom and ends. It handles 12” logs with no problem. I have so many logs to store I just gave up on sealing the ends and hope for the best.

Photo of my log storage shed
    Click image for larger version

Name:	37C573C5-0511-4EBB-B79D-A35C940EF0A1.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	835997

photo of log bracket
    Click image for larger version  Name:	AC6638D1-6AAA-4A8C-ADC9-65F7AB6D160D.png Views:	1 Size:	533.7 KB ID:	835996
    Last edited by capncarl; 02-01-2019, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      good find!
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Looks good! I'll have to check that out and also consider spraying a couple of times a year.
    Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Bugs will be a problem, but come spring I will find the appropriate insecticide and hose the wood down with a pump up sprayer.
      Cracks will be a given, but all of my logs will be cut into smaller pieces so I will just work around the cracks. For turning you will really have to to seal up the ends. The bad thing about cracking is that it is going to happen, and sealing the ends just delays if, maybe as late as till after you get through turning it.

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

If you put diatomaceous earth in and around the piles, that will kill arthropods and will basically last forever if the area is protected from rain. It doesn't kill worms though.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

My house and shop have been well sprayed as well as holes bored for injecting what ever is needed for termites. A couple of years ago, I found termites in two logs. (came from my neighbor who had an original growth oak fall perfectly without hurting a thing in his yard. The inside was filled with termites. They infected his house too but he got them early on.) So I know that they are in the ground, and we have a termite contract - the company is very zealous in inspecting too. Said that to say that I know there are termites in the area but my house and shop are protected. However, the two 3 ft long 16in logs were filled with termites last year when I looked them over. They were on the ground. Most of mine are not.

I went to HD and got some of their termite spray, wondering if it would work. I can say for sure that it worked! I spayed the logs and I sprayed the ground. 6 months later, I picked up one of the logs that had been directly on the ground and there were no bugs or termites there. Nothing fresh in the way of boring.

I will try the Home Depot stuff again, but don't know if it will work on the worms. I will give it a try along with malathion or diazinon.
          Last edited by leehljp; 02-02-2019, 04:58 PM.
          Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Termites are everywhere down here in the Deep South. I have a termite bond on my house and shop and they inspect regularly. They will probably go ballistic when they see my wood pile under a roof of a building they warranty. I will probably try to get them involved in controlling insects in this log pile rather than fight with them.

Its not not advertised but most of the ant poisons sold for use in they yards will kill termites and are pretty good for termite control. I’m probably going to generously spread ant poison under the shed in hopes of heading them off. I’m also planning on tarping the wood racks with polyethylene and setting off a bunch of bug bombs under the tarp in hopes of killing bug infestation in the logs.

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Suspend Polyzone is what's used against termites and scorpions here. I stopped paying for pest control service and buy it on Amazon. That along with the diatomaceous earth, which also kills termites and scorpions.

Comment

Working...