• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Jim Frye:
    I discovered that I had to make jigs to install the slides properly. Ah, learning curve. This is also the first furniture carcass I've designed completely on my own with no published plans to work from. I'm working from just the picture I posted in the first post of this thread. When I get the slides installed, I'll post a picture.
    OH the joy of discovery! I do this often, no published plans, a few simple drawings, maybe an overall measurement or two from which to fit everything inside; think it through while driving on straight flat roads for half an hour, go to sleep going over measurements in my head and then suddenly sitting up as an adjustment to allow for kerf or wider slide as you mentioned.

IF wood magazines have to do corrections on featured article measurements regularly, we shouldn't feel bad about needed and unplanned adjustments either.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

No picture update. Just a note that I decided to completely finish the interior of the cabinet prior to installing the drawer slides. Two reasons. It’s easier now than after the slides are installed and it will give the varnish time to fully cure (I.e. the smell goes away) before the carcass gets closed up. Many years ago, I did a hutch base and the inside stunk for months. I even stuffed the inside with news print to absorb the off gases of the polyurethane.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Today, I had time to work in the shop so I spent four hours mounting the full extension drawer slides. First time with these and I guess there was some learning curve. I made a marking jig with a 12" spirit level attached to locate the holes for the slides, but quickly discovered that I needed at least three hands to use it. The length of the jig (28") was just too long to hold steady and mark the points to drill for screws. I ended up turning the carcass on end so the jig would be horizontal and lay on the frame, but I eventually got it done. I also see that if I had purchased the slides at the beginning of this project, I would have put horizontals in where the slides would mount. This probably would have kept the back from bowing and I wouldn't have had to put the two center members in after the fact. I'm going to put structure in where the slides are just to support those interior slides better. Here's a couple of images of today's efforts. I also have the top clamped up in cauls to keep it flat until it's time to mount it on the finished carcass with the drawers. Drawer construction is up next along with attached decorative fronts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200125_164357.jpg Views:	9 Size:	112.3 KB ID:	838478Click image for larger version  Name:	20200125_164447.jpg Views:	8 Size:	100.0 KB ID:	838479Click image for larger version  Name:	20200120_184157.jpg Views:	8 Size:	133.5 KB ID:	838480
        Last edited by Jim Frye; 01-27-2020, 07:00 PM. Reason: added text about my foolishness.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I have had some time to get into the shop for extended periods of time and I’m finding it a challenge to make six drawers. This is my first time with soft close drawer slides and it takes a technique that I haven’t used before. The drawers are 26”x14”x7” which are also larger than I’ve ever done. I have also discovered that I under bought wood and have to go back to the “candy store” for more.
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I have come to the conclusion that don’t have the wherewithal to do hand cut dovetails for all of these drawers. Honestly, I’ve taken so much time with this project, I don’t feel like dragging it out so much longer doing dovetails. I suppose this should be an excuse to buy a dovetail jig, but at 73 I think I’m done buying major tools. Please don’t hate me. I am going to do the corner joins with mating rabbits that will be cross pinned after they are glued up. It will also be a bit easier to custom size each drawer to fit between the slides. Due to my somewhat sloppy carcass build, there are slight differences in width. I have a bag of 5/32” bamboo skewers to use as pins or wooden nails. The drawer bottoms are 3/4” maple veneer ply let into the sides with rabbits and dados. Once the parts are glued up and pinned, the drawer is insanely ridged. The drawers will have separate fronts screwed to the front of drawers to hide the drawer slides. They will be raised panels with cock bead around each front.
            Last edited by Jim Frye; 03-16-2020, 09:43 PM.
            Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I've never even bothered to try doing dovetails, so I'm not one to judge.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Have you considered box joints? I like that they can be made in mass and make a extremely strong box. The downside to a box joint is how easy it is to mess up a batch, but after you get use to the setup they are quick and easy.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Maumee, OH, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Hooray!! The hardwood store is back open for customers to visit. Ohio has finally started opening retail back up. I went and picked up some stock to finish making the drawers. Had to settle for hard maple as all of their soft maple stock was really narrow and the drawers are 7” deep. This project has stretched out so long, I just didn’t fell like doing a bunch of edge joining to build up to width. This table is going to come in close to 200 pounds by the time I get it done. Finding stock wider than 6 inches is getting more and more difficult.
                  Jim Frye
                  The Nut in the Cellar.
                  ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Jim Frye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Maumee, OH, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Yes, I'm still working on this project. I am just putting the finish on the six drawer carcasses. I only have room to do three at a time (really need to clean the shop and put stuff away). After the varnish is cured, I will fit the drawer slides and once everything is operating smoothly, I can make and fit the drawer fronts. They will be full inset with raised panels and cock beads around the perimeter of each drawer. Then I can varnish the carcass and top. After that, the top can be secured to the carcass. Going to use the little figure 8 fittings. Was going to fab some sort of wooden attachments, but my design has not left enough room between the top and the drawers, so my "no metal fasteners" regime will fall by the wayside on this project.
                    Jim Frye
                    The Nut in the Cellar.
                    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

Simular situation, I was fastened my Tiny Table tops to the aprons with several different types on metal top attachments. The shop owner that sells the tables asked me if there was another way to fasten the tops, that some of her customers had brought it to her attention, saying that metal fasteners distracted from the antique, hand made look. I took this criticism positively and started using Festool Dominos to attach the tops, and liked the look and ease of installation. I even thought about making the Dominoes floating to allow for expansion but decided that due to the small size of the table tops it wouldn’t be necessary.
                      capncarl

Comment

• Jim Frye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Maumee, OH, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Well, I finished what I think of as a milestone today. I have all of the drawer carcasses fitted, finished, and mounted on the drawer slides. Next up, making, finishing, and mounting the drawer fronts. I learned a valuable and requisite lesson with this project. Absolute PRECISION is everything with the full extension drawer slides. Between my age and eyesight, I've gotten a bit sloppy in my work. Something I'll pay more attention to with the next table in this series. Each drawer carcass had to be custom fitted to the space it will occupy, so each drawer carcass is numbered on the back end with a small carving. The drawer carcasses each weigh in excess of 12 pounds due to them being hard maple. The slides are rated at 100 pounds.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20200711_103856.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	839846Click image for larger version

Name:	20200711_103924.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	839847

Name:	20200711_104033.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	839848
                        Jim Frye
                        The Nut in the Cellar.
                        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Jim Frye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Maumee, OH, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Almost two years into this project now and I have the drawer fronts made, mounted on the drawer carcasses, finished, and curing. I also have the exterior of the carcass completely finished and curing. The top is in the shop getting the varnish finish applied to the top and bottom. The bottom was done first to give it time to fully cure and off gas so there won't be any varnish smell inside when the final assembly is done. I decided to forgo the complex wood attachment I was planning to connect the top to the carcass. I am using the little metal desktop connectors by Highpoint from the local Woodcraft store instead. due to the weight of this project, I'm using 24 connectors set into the table carcass. The finished weight will be just north of 225 pounds and I'm afraid someone will try to lift it by the top. The top slab weighs 60 pounds and the carcass tips the scale at over 90 pounds. The six drawers make up the rest of the weight. There is no secondary wood in this piece. Everything is either soft or hard maple. Still waiting for SWMBO to decide on drawer pulls.

Name:	20201011_113332.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	840945Click image for larger version

Name:	20201011_113317.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	840944
                          Jim Frye
                          The Nut in the Cellar.
                          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Jim Frye
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Maumee, OH, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Almost two years into this project now and I have the drawer fronts made, mounted on the drawer carcasses, finished, and curing. I also have the exterior of the carcass completely finished and curing. The top is in the shop getting the varnish finish applied to the top and bottom. The bottom was done first to give it time to fully cure and off gas so there won't be any varnish smell inside when the final assembly is done. I decided to forgo the complex wood attachment I was planning to connect the top to the carcass. I am using the little metal desktop connectors by Highpoint from the local Woodcraft store instead. due to the weight of this project, I'm using 24 connectors set into the table carcass. The finished weight will be just north of 225 pounds and I'm afraid someone will try to lift it by the top. The top slab weighs 60 pounds and the carcass tips the scale at over 90 pounds. The six drawers make up the rest of the weight. There is no secondary wood in this piece. Everything is either soft or hard maple. Still waiting for SWMBO to decide on drawer pulls.

Name:	20201011_113332.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	840948Click image for larger version

Name:	20201011_113317.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	840947
                            Jim Frye
                            The Nut in the Cellar.
                            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• radhak
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • Miramar, FL
                              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Wow, what a heirloom in the making this is! Thanks for the updates!
                              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                              - Aristotle

Comment

• Jim Frye
                                Veteran Member
                                • Dec 2002
                                • Maumee, OH, USA.
                                • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Almost Done! All that's left is for SWMBO to pick out the drawer pulls. I'm about to have eye surgery on both eyes in December, so I won't be doing much in the shop for a few weeks. Anyway, here's a couple of pics of the finally finished project along with the inspiration. Next up, is a companion side table with two drawers.

Name:	20201121_152025.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	841384Click image for larger version

Name:	classic-12-drawer-coffee-table-110x70x50cm1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	841385
                                Jim Frye
                                The Nut in the Cellar.
                                ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”