• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

It didn't feel right to do anything but DTed drawers for these nightstands so that's what I ended up doing. I'm setting up to route the grooves in the sides now to accept the side hung drawer runner. Nervous as all heck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-24 14.10.12.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	826552

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Currently feeling like a huge moron and very defeated. I spent the last 2 hours sanding the cabinets and then I went to fit the drawers to the cabinet and realized the cabinet was on its side when I measured for the drawers so the drawers are way too narrow. 2 days wasted! I'll save the drawers for something in the future.

Now I don't know if I've got enough time left to finish this thing for this year's fair.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

We've all made similar mistakes. I like to have at least a sketch I can make inside in the air conditioning and check before I start making sawdust. But I still make mistakes.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I had a restless night of sleep and woke up at 5:30 (not by choice) and decided I had to make it right. I took the day off work and started from scratch. I had no more walnut sapwood for the drawer sides (yes, those original sides are walnut, not poplar) and went for the ash. I've never used ash before but I had some and it was really nice to work with.

It was a long day and this time the drawers fit! I also have the drawer bottoms ready as well as the runners that the drawers will hang from. Hopefully all the sanding will be done tomorrow and then I can start finishing.

My original drawers had 3 tails but if you've ever done hand cut half blind DTs, you'll know it's a PITA to get into the corners of the pin boards unless you have angled chisels--I don't. I figured 2 tails still looked good and there were 8 fewer pin sockets I had to clean up.

Comment

Working...