• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Different approach to building cabinets

My latest project is to build cabinets for our laundry room. The requirement is wall mounted floor to ceiling. I've built a number of base and wall cabinets and know the difficulty with handling 3/4 plywood single handed. 6 cabinets will be 4'high X 2' wide X 14" deep and 8 will be 4' high X 2' wide X 2' deep. This is the max size that I can wrestle into place. My Powermatic table saw will handle it just fine but just being able to rip plywood is only part of the task. Not wanting to have to fret with all these cuts with my track saw I decided to build a jig that fits over a sheet of plywood and makes the necessary cuts without all the measuring and clamping a track saw requires. After a bit of tuning this jig cuts the 2 required cuts flawlessly. I know I am not the first person to build a jig for cabinet cutting but can't recall ever seeing one.
    capncarl

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	801090
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

That looks ingenious! I think I can tell it's construction and how it works, but how did you tune it?

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

It's hard to see but there are 2 separate tracks. The jig was constructed around a piece of plywood to ensure a square and tight fit with just enough room to slip over the plywood. To tune it I first ran the saw in each track to establish the saw slot, measured and marked the plywood, set the jig in place and moved the tracks slot to fit the marks.

Comment

• Slik Geek
        • Dec 2006
        • Lake County, Illinois
        • Ryobi BT-3000

Well done! Great adaptation of the plywood circular saw jig. I just might need to make one of those soon for a similar task.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

6 month update..... The massive volume of sawdust that the circular saw on the track jig that I built prompted me to purchase a Makita plunge track saw and use the festool vac. Boy what a nice set up. I've finished and installed the first 2 phases of the project and am half finished with phase 3. A project like this will really show you how small your shop really is. The amount of time required to build this many cabinets make me glad I don't have to shut down the kitchen in my house that long. I'd get real hungry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	826187

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

Looks great! I really like my track saw. Great way to deal with sheet goods - and large pieces of solid wood.

Comment

Working...