• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Couple of SawHorses

Ever want to do a quick simple project of 30 minutes to 1 hour and it turns into 3 hours?
    I ordered two pairs of legs for a saw horse These and have had them for a couple of weeks. Late this afternoon, I decided to make them into saw horses good enough to use as a second set-up table when building things.

I pulled a couple of 6 ft 2X8 tongue and groove boards out of about 20 that have been stored for 20 years at least. These were rejects because of knots or edges. I wanted my saw horses to be a tad longer than 36 inches so I cut them at 38 inches long and ripped the T&G off and decided 5 1/2 inches would be wide enough. Routed the edges with 1/4 in roundover.

Built the first and set it up. Then the 2nd, and it didn’t set evenly on the concrete floor. Checked the board and it had a very slight warp/twist. Missed that when selecting the board!
    I loosed one side of the legs and added a shim. Sits with all 4 feet now!

WAIT a mintue! I wanted two saw horses that could double as a table for building projects!. A warped board even 1/8 inch over 38 inches can cause a project to be out of alignment too!

Back to the wood shed and look for another board, and check for flat/level, not warped or twisted. I went through all of the boards before getting the right one. Take it to cut, rip and rout. Put it together and a couple of good heavy storable saw horses.

In the midst of all of this, I had to hunt for my cordless drill and my impact driver. Now where did I last use them? Oh finally found them in the trunk of my car!

IF I learned one thing about saw horses, it was "choose your wood carefully." If you are using them to rest wood on for cutting, close enough might be good enough, but if you want something to rest projects on and use as a second work table occasionally, the quality of wood chosen for the saw horse will reveal itself in the squareness of each project.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by leehljp; 06-06-2015, 10:38 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Nice job on those Hank. Always nice to have that back up work surface.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Looks like they fold up?

And wow, expensive legs, over $100 for a pair of sawhorses....

I guess made up for by the folding and being sturdy?

And they are a pretty color of blue.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-07-2015, 01:27 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Looks like they fold up?

And wow, expensive legs, over $100 for a pair of sawhorses....

I guess made up for by the folding and being sturdy?
        Loring, I didn't notice the price when I added the link. I paid $40.38 each last week, and I am a little ticked at that price. When I added them to my cart several days before ordering, it sure seems like they were $34.95 or they were below $35 each. But my receipt is $40.38 each. The price jumped up after I added them to the cart and before I checked out.

Goes to show that you have to watch Amazon close!

They ARE sturdy and they do fold!

Now, $10.00 worth of the WOW is gone! But thanks for pointing out the price in the link!
        Last edited by leehljp; 06-07-2015, 12:55 PM.
        Hank Lee

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Hank

Have you ever had a project that "onlu" take 30 minuets? I can take a 30 minuet project and turn into a 2 day to 2 week project without even thinking about it. Like those sawhorse legs.

Tom

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by TB Roye
            Hank

Have you ever had a project that "onlu" take 30 minuets? I can take a 30 minuet project and turn into a 2 day to 2 week project without even thinking about it. Like those sawhorse legs.

Tom
            That is the way my projects go too! That is also why I started making pens 10 years ago. I wanted to be able to say I could start and finish as wood working project within an hour!
            Hank Lee

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by leehljp
              Ever want to do a quick simple project of 30 minutes to 1 hour and it turns into 3 hours?
              If I ever have a 30 minute project that I complete in less than three hours, I'll post it. You probably shouldn't hold your breath waiting. It's not so much that I underestimate the time as that I overestimate my abilities.

Nice job on the sawhorses by the way.
              Chr's

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Now I know where/what brand those legs are. I picked up a mounted set when I picked up a used router table top (precut for my plate), for cheaper then I could make it, One set just seems to have limited use.
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for the giggle. Your project sounds somewhat similar to a lot of mine in the way they go. Half the time I am lucky to remember where I put the table saw!
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                    Thanks for the giggle. Your project sounds somewhat similar to a lot of mine in the way they go. Half the time I am lucky to remember where I put the table saw!

Table saw? D*mn, there should be one here somewhere. I wonder where it is?
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...