• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Centering lathe faceplate on a disc.

I am building a disc sander accessory for my lathe. At least I hope I am. I have a 12" + a hair disc cut from 3/4" plywood, and a Penn State 1x8 tpi 3" faceplate to install to. I am wondering what is the best way to insure the disc and faceplate are centered against each other such that the disc doesn't wobble.

I was thinking of using a pencil compass set at 1.5" from the center pin hole from the circle cutting jig to outline where the 3" should be, draw crossed lines at 90 deg from each other to index the screw holes, and run it together that way, chuck it up, and run it sanding until it is perfectly round at 12" even...

I ordered a dedicated faceplate for this purpose. I wanted to be able to chuck it up, slide / clamp the table into position, hook up the dust hose and have a good go at it...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

That sounds to me like it would work.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Dave, I agree with Mark - should work. Another way would be after following your process to mount the faceplate, connect to headstock, brace a pencil against the tool rest and BY HAND rotate the faceplate to mark a circle toward the outer edge of the disk, then further trim/sand off any out of round areas before you remount and finish your process with the final sanding, which should be minimal.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I would use a centering square to draw as many as four lines (two is sufficient but four gives you great confidence when they all meet int he center) on your disk.
        AN attachment like this

on a adjustable square's rule

can do it but a search on Google for centering square will find a lot of other models. The one I showed will have a reach to get to the center of your disk.

Once you have marked several radial lines you can measure 1.5" out on all of them to indicate the outer circumference of your mount. Place it in place then mount accordingly.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Loring,

Those look nice, but not in my tool arsenal. Sounds like it would work on the same principle as the pencil compass. I have had one of those things since Kindergarten...

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          I would use a centering square to draw as many as four lines (two is sufficient but four gives you great confidence when they all meet int he center) on your disk.
          AN attachment like this

on a adjustable square's rule

can do it but a search on Google for centering square will find a lot of other models. The one I showed will have a reach to get to the center of your disk.

Once you have marked several radial lines you can measure 1.5" out on all of them to indicate the outer circumference of your mount. Place it in place then mount accordingly.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Dave, you probably already have the rule from your adjustable square.

I have a starrett. But the one I use the most (because its not stored in a case) is the HF one. Its the only remaining parts from a combination square kit (right angle, protractor, and centering head) - i tossed the combinatin head and protractor because they were so bad. Still, I think I was only out about $8 and the centering head is great. I looked quickly and the only head- only parts are from Mitutoyo, Starrett and others and run about $30-40, too bad they are so expensive,

Here's the kit - only $7 and toss the other parts.

If its off its easy to fix. $6.99 and 25 % off coupon....!!!
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-19-2014, 08:08 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• RAV2
              Established Member
              • Aug 2007
              • Massachusetts

You can do the same thing with a framing square (I'm sure this is in your 'toolbox'):

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Am I missing something? You mount the faceplate roughly centered, start up the lathe and turn the edge. Now the faceplate is perfectly centered.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by gerti
                  Am I missing something? You mount the faceplate roughly centered, start up the lathe and turn the edge. Now the faceplate is perfectly centered.
                  that's the other way I thought of.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Buena Park, CA
                    • CM 21829

Originally posted by gerti
                    The plywood might not turn well which is why I think he planned to sand it into round.
                    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...