• Show
Clear All
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

Bi Fold Doors

We have a 6 ft. bi fold doors to a closet in our bathroom. My wife does not like the louvers in them. The other bi fold doors in the house are 6 panel doors. I was looking at Lowes doors and they are cheap cardboard doors.

My question is, would it be possible to make them from 3/4 oak wood just like an oversized cabinet door? Would they warp over time? Is the thickness enough to drill for the pivot pins? I would be making 4 18in. panels to cover the 6ft. opening. I make my own cabinets and doors for each remodel job I do, but have never made any this tall (80 in.).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Conwaygolfer
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Don't see why they would warp if your stock starts off flat and you hang the doors plumb. Good joinery will be key for doors this tall.

Not sure about the pivot pins. I know when I replaced some before, they were pretty beefy. You'll just have to get some and measure to make sure your 3/4" stock is thick enough.

Personally, I would want to start with 5/4 for this project, if possible. Would be more appropriate for the size.

Comment

• Brian G
      • Jun 2003
      • Bloomington, Minnesota.
      • G0899

As a point of clarification, do you mean that this type Lowes 6-panel oak bifold is what you consider cheap cardboard?

I've used a few of that type (different brand from a different big box) in closet upgrades. I toyed with making some, but after considering time, cost of material, and the additional hardware needed, I found that purchasing them was a far better option. That might be a different story for you.

The type I linked to above, if similar to what I used, has about a 1" band of solid oak on the outside edges of the rails and stiles. The internals are compressed particle board, with an oak veneer overlay.

I was (per co-shopper's comments) "excruciatingly picky" when I selected the doors. I sorted through the entire stock to find the two that I wanted, paying close attention to the grain running vertical on the stiles, making sure the veneer colors were closely matched among the rails, stiles, and panels, and eliminating ones where the panel grain was not mostly centered in the panel. Then I focused on finding dings, dents, glue blotches, and other manufacturing or storage defects. I think I sorted through 25 doors to find the two I wanted.

I wanted a slight golden oak tone, which presented a challenge on a red oak door. I used Watco danish oil as the stain/colorant; first application was golden oak, second application was a quick and sparse wipe of medium black walnut. I used a topcoat of General Finishes Satin Gel Polyurethane, which imparts a slight amber tone. I've used that finish schedule on 10 interior doors, and it comes out great.

Back to your question My opinion is that 3/4" material will be too thin, and I agree with Paul's comment about starting with at least 5/4. I'd go 6/4, but solid wood for the whole 72" width, plus panels would be heavy.
      Brian

Comment

• conwaygolfer
        Established Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Conway, SC.
        • BT3000

Thanks for the comments. I looked at the "solid oak" door at Lowes and the cost. I would need 2, so with the cost being nearly $400., I know I can make them for less money.
        The one review said the rails were 1/16 veneer which is sort of "cheap" when paying this much at Lowes.

I will do as you both suggest and look into thicker stock.

Thanks again,
        Conwaygolfer

Comment

• Brian G
          • Jun 2003
          • G0899

I'm missing something. A 6' bifold opening would require two, 36" bifold doors. Based on the price in the link, that would be $168. If you mean that you need to fill two, 6' bifold openings, then you'd need four, 36" bifolds. That's $336 with hardware included.

If you choose to make them, I think it would be a great project story to share here, especially if you have photographs to go along with it.
          Brian

Comment

• rcplaneguy
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2012

Beware of the weight. The hollow core doors are light enough that you don't overstress pivot pins.

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

The cheap ones that were referred to are probably these:

I have used similar from probably borg, but then again it may have been through the millworks I used to get my molding. The doors are fairly cheap in quality, thin pressed or embossed hardboard veneer with a cardboard honeycomb style insert to keep the veneers from collapsing in on themselves. The border of the frame is typically solid wood, but fairly thin and its usually pine. For what they are and how much use they typically get, they fair well.

Good luck on your choice.
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• conwaygolfer
                Established Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Conway, SC.
                • BT3000

Price in link

is $187.00 for a 3 ft. door. I would need 2 in order to fill a 6ft. opening. That makes the total with tax around $400.00

The second link is the cheap ones I am used to seeing. I just finished installing a set of these and the bottom where the pivot pin goes in, is nothing more than pressed cardboard. I ended up removing the bottom piece and ripping a 2x4 and gluing it into the hollow opening. I used the removed cardboard piece as a template to drill the 2x4 for the pivot pin. The hole was 1/2 inch diameter if I remember right. Perhaps the more expensive ones are solid wood, but certainly not the cheap ones.

After I decide what to do, I will post some pics as I go along.

Thanks,
                Conwaygolfer

Comment

• Brian G
                  • Jun 2003
                  • G0899

Must be something funky with what the link is showing you, versus what it's showing me. SKU#80117 is $84 at my nearest Lowes.
                  Brian

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Brian G
                    Must be something funky with what the link is showing you, versus what it's showing me. SKU#80117 is $84 at my nearest Lowes.
                    Does your's picture a white primed 6 panel door or an oak stained door? The description states the oak stained door is a solid core door, whereas the cheapy that we are talking about is primed white and is a hollow core door.

Comment

• Brian G
                      • Jun 2003
                      • G0899

Unstained, oak, solid core. If you search on SKU# 80117 it should come up for you. I found the hollow core, molded composite cardboard ones. I wouldn't use those, either.

I'm not seeing the $187 one; not saying it doesn't exist, just not showing for me.
                      Brian

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Brian G
                        Unstained, oak, solid core. If you search on SKU# 80117 it should come up for you. I found the hollow core, molded composite cardboard ones. I wouldn't use those, either.

I'm not seeing the $187 one; not saying it doesn't exist, just not showing for me.
                        Maybe they are on sale in your neck of the woods!! Buy them up and truck 'em to other states ;-P

Below is what I copied from Lowes - its the same sku.

ReliaBilt 36-in x 80-3/4-in 6-Panel Solid Oak Interior Bifold Closet Door

Item #: 80117 | Model #: 80117

1 / 5
                        1 review
                        |
                        Write a review

$187.00

Comment

• MBG
                          • Apr 2003
                          • Chicago, Illinois.
                          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by chopnhack
                          Does your's picture a white primed 6 panel door or an oak stained door? The description states the oak stained door is a solid core door, whereas the cheapy that we are talking about is primed white and is a hollow core door.
                          My area shows $109 but looks like a cheap veneered door.

I'm also thinking of building my own. I built a full kitchen/island worth of cabinets and have some leftover rough sawn stock that I could use but was worried about thickness too.

I did make some tall storage cabinet doors (about 56" tall) and they have stayed very straight. AN 80" to 81" may be a challenge with 3/4" stock. I used European steamed beech that is supposed to be prone to warp. I selected stock with the straightest grain for the styles rough milled them and let them sit for a week and then final milled them.

Mike

Comment

• Brian G
                            • Jun 2003
                            • G0899

Originally posted by chopnhack
                            Maybe they are on sale in your neck of the woods!! Buy them up and truck 'em to other states ;-P

Below is what I copied from Lowes - its the same sku.

ReliaBilt 36-in x 80-3/4-in 6-Panel Solid Oak Interior Bifold Closet Door

Item #: 80117 | Model #: 80117

1 / 5
                            1 review
                            |
                            Write a review

$187.00
                            Aha! It's a regional thing. "My Store" in MN has 80117 at $84. If I change My Store to Conway, SC; or FLA, the door isn't even an option.

My bad on my end. Sorry.
                            Brian

Comment

• conwaygolfer
                              Established Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Conway, SC.
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by MBG
                              My area shows $109 but looks like a cheap veneered door.

I'm also thinking of building my own. I built a full kitchen/island worth of cabinets and have some leftover rough sawn stock that I could use but was worried about thickness too.

I did make some tall storage cabinet doors (about 56" tall) and they have stayed very straight. AN 80" to 81" may be a challenge with 3/4" stock. I used European steamed beech that is supposed to be prone to warp. I selected stock with the straightest grain for the styles rough milled them and let them sit for a week and then final milled them.

Mike
                              Those are some nice looking cabinets you built. Hope your wife or the customer is happy. I know I would be.
                              Most cabinet makers around Conway buy from a local distributor called East Coast Distributors. I will ask them about fir or some other thick and straight wood for my bi fold doors.

Comment

Working...