• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

"New" Toy Box out of "OLD" wood

I suppose I could have titled this ... something like ... "Making a simple project as difficult as possible ..."

As I mentioned in a previous thread => Planing Long Leaf Pine ... I bought some 100+ year old long leaf pine that came out of a cabin in Arkansas a while back with the intent of building my granddaughter Zoey a toy box for Christmas (she's 4). As I mentioned in that thread, the wood besides being old shiplap was covered in a jillion tacks, tar paper and sail cloth that had to be removed before planing ...

First a pick (poor quality phone camera) of what the wood looked like after tack removal ...

The 2nd pic is what the planed wood looked like after it was planed

The 3rd pic is what the individual end/side pieces look like after cutting the box joints and fitting. These individual pieces are 9" "high" and there will be two of each stacked, doweled and glued together to make the box part 18" deep total.

It was at this point that I was informed of a fairly ugly error ... in my mind and with only cursory research I decided the box should be 36 x 24 x 18 ... when I showed the "stacked" pieces to my wife she immediately informed me it was "WAY WAY TOO BIG" (she did in fact speak in capital letters!) ... after licking my wounded designer's pride ... I had to agree it was pretty big for such a little girl ... and gritting my teeth, cut off one end of each board, and re-cut the box joints so that the final size is 32 x 18 x 18 ... a much more reasonable size!

The 4th pic shows the eight pieces now doweled and glued (there is a 3/8" dado cut on the other side for the bottom) ... the dado for the bottom required stopped dado's on the end pieces on the router table and then I was able to use the table saw to cut the thru dados on the longer sides (the sides were too long to easily manage on my router table --- or so I thought --- in retrospect probably would have been fine).

The 5th and 6th pics show the "box" dry fit with and squared before gluing.

Once glued I will start the more (to me) enjoyable work of finish. I'm thinking of trying what is apparently an old technique using boot wax (red) .... I heard about this when doing some research on chairs my daughter bought ... sounded like an interesting thing to try ... I'll experiment on scrap and see how it goes ...

So ... building a box is really pretty easy ... unless you make it hard ...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BadeMillsap; 09-11-2013, 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Looks good, Bade. The use of old long leaf pine will assure it becomes an heirloom.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Great project and that is some really nice joinery - bet it took a while to cut those box joints.
      Richard

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I like to finish old pine with a stain to suit "the customer", which can be tea, red clay mud, or whatever, usually minwax stain. Everyone favorite here seems to be red oak. Slap on 2-3 coats of paste wax rub in, 0000 steel wool the last coat and buff with car buffer to remove all wax. It'll look museum quality by 100 yr old craftsmen.
        capncarl

Comment

• vaking
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2005
          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

What was that about dowels? I see nicely done box joints but I see no dowels?
          Alex V

Comment

• BadeMillsap
            • Dec 2005
            • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
            • Grizzly G1023SL

Originally posted by vaking
            What was that about dowels? I see nicely done box joints but I see no dowels?

The dowels are used to join the ends and sides in a stack to make 18" pieces out of 9" pieces. Just a good way to be sure the pieces are aligned when edge glued ... I'm a big fan of dowel joinery and feel like the price I paid long ago for a Dowelmax has been repaid several times over by the ease, speed and accuracy it affords.

@all ... thanks for the complements on the box joints ... I decided I was using old wood and should use an "old" joinery method ... I built a simple tablesaw jig from scrap wood and it worked great with a dado stack. My biggest challenge on the box joints was keeping the correct side against the fence of the jig when I started to cut ... that whole 3D thing is really difficult for me.

Looking forward to getting the finish started next.
            Bade Millsap
            Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
              • May 2003
              • Orlando, FL, USA.
              • BT3000

Bade -

The wood and the design of the box were made for each other. You did a perfect job. It will only become more beautiful with age and use.

- Lonnie
              OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• trungdok
                Established Member
                • Oct 2012
                • MA

It looks awesome. Your 4th pic made me think that you box jointed the bottom to the side pieces. Now that would look awesome as well.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                  • Grizzly G1023SL

Making progress... Red analine dye topped with wipe on satin poly...

Via Tapatalk on Android
                  Bade Millsap
                  Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

That is awesome Bade, great job!!
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• big tim
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                      • SawStop PCS

That looks great, your granddaughter should be very happy with her new toybox.
                      Two questions: I know what pine is but what exactly is long leaf pine.
                      And, are the hinges you used the type that will not allow the lid to slam closed? Concerned about little fingers getting hurt!
                      Cheers,

Tim
                      Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                        • Grizzly G1023SL

You can learn more about long leaf pine here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_palustris

The hinges are torsion hinges from Rockler I bought specifically so they protect little fingers.

Btw I used milk paint on the inside and intend to distress it a bit before overcoat with ploy

Thank you for the compliments folks

Via Tapatalk on Android
                        Bade Millsap
                        Bulverde, Texas

Comment

Working...