• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

who sells 3/8" wood dowel rod?

Need some 3/8" diameter wood dowel rods to finish my project. I already have the standard fluted dowels, but they're not long enough. I bought a 4' long 3/8" dowel at HD this morning and the fit is so sloppy. Would Lowes have them in their true size?
  • big tim
    • Mar 2006
    • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
    • SawStop PCS

I'm not aware of any company that sell dowels that are actually the size indicated other than Lee Valley. Long way off for you though, other than ordering via the internet.
    Cheers,

Tim
    Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I've actually bought dowel rods of varying sizes up to 3/4" (in 1/16" increments) at Wal-Mart in the crafts department. (Sometimes they have them and sometimes they don't.) I've also seen them in some arts and crafts stores but I don't remember which ones (Hobby Lobby maybe?.)
      Richard

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'm going to take some scrap, drill a hole, and bring it to the store so I don't make the same mistake. Maybe I'll try Lowe's at lunch, Michael's is around the corner.

Comment

• mikel
          Established Member
          • Jul 2006
          • philadelphia
          • bt 3100

I just use a size too big and machine sand or spin them in the lathe.

...m

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            I'm going to take some scrap, drill a hole, and bring it to the store so I don't make the same mistake. Maybe I'll try Lowe's at lunch, Michael's is around the corner.
            Will the real 3/8" dowel please stand up?

Went to my local lumber supplier (actually much closer to me than HD or Lowes, but only open M-F 6am to 5pm so hard to get to) before work and this is what I saw. Sorely disappointed at first that every 3/8" dowel (blue ones) were sloppy fits. But then I picked up one of the light blue dowels and I got a winner! All of the light blue ones fit well. After I walked out with one, I realized I should have bought them out. They were cheaper than HD, too. Next week.

Paul
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...